First time Mac buyer - deal ends tonight - very brief old vs new debate

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by OmahaGTP, Oct 27, 2008.

1. OmahaGTP macrumors member

Someone sent me this link today.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/asin/B0013FLTNS/ref=nosim/daringfirebal-20

What a deal. I had previously thought about getting the $2500 new MBP's after they were released a few weeks back.

For a first time notebook buyer (and first Mac purchase ever) is it worth the extra 1000 for the new ones (no tax via amazon)? Or would I be totally blown away with this model?

I know these type of posts show up a lot, and I am sorry, but it ends tonight. :(

Is it worth $1,000 for the new body style, chip architecture, and track pad? Are the 8600s confirmed time bombs?

How do the displays compare between the new ones and this one? Other than matte/glossy. I'm talking refresh rate, color's, etc.

Apologies all around again for cluttering up your forum with these kinds of posts. But your help would not go unappreciated. :)

2. turtlebud macrumors 6502a

if you are considering the old version then I'd say no, the new version isn't worth an extra 1k (if you consider tax). My two main reasons for going old were:

1. $800-1000 is a lot of money, especially with the poor economy. I personally don't much/as much disposable income to drop on a laptop. There are a lot of other things that I need/like to get for $800 (like an external hd for backup).

2. The new MacBook/pros are mainly structural enhancements (unibody design, glass trackpad) plus new graphics technology (graphics card & display) and the jury is still out on the glossy display. Not as much advancement in terms of processor and speed, so that's what you're paying for.

I think in the next year apple is going to work on the internals and by next fall will have a great laptop inside and out. At that time since you got the old version at a big discount, then if you decide to upgrade, you can probably sell the old mbp for a small loss and then upgrade to a more polished version of the new mbp.

I just received my old mbp this weekend and I love it. Still like the matte screen, old keyboard, and had 4gb of RAM from the MacBook i'm selling. I also like that I don't need any extra equipment to connect firewire or an external display.

3. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Turtlebud is reasonable, unlike me. On the other hand, don't forget what you'd get for 1k more: unibody etched out of a single slab of aluminum, better screen, 2x RAM, faster video card x2, bigger/faster HD, better sound quality, longer battery life, bigger/better trackpad, etc. The MBP Classic is still a great machine so either way, I bet you'll be happy.

4. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

The RAM is cheap to upgrade and it's debatable whether the new screen is better. All we know for sure is that it's glossy, and covered with glass, but the panel itself probably is the same quality, depending on the supplier, so that's a wash. If you don't mind glossy, or prefer it.. it's also available on the older model, but it could be an advantage with the new model.

New video card is faster (not the integrated gpu, though) and that's a consideration - depending on what you're going to be doing. Also, bigger HD is true, and it's easy to swap/upgrade on the new model compared to the old. The trackpad is larger on the new one, and it supports more gestures. But, some folks have found it takes a bit of getting used to compared to the older one, and you can't turn off the multi-touch gestures which can lead to things happening that you might not expect. I'm sure it's an aquired taste sort of thing, but it's definitely a difference between the old and new.

I don't know about the sound quality... I've heard from some folks that the new model does indeed have better sound from the speakers, which could very well be true. For me it's really a non-issue since I mainly use headphones/earbuds when working with sound/video on my MBP.

I'd have to agree with saving the money now, and if you really do want to move up to the newer generation MBPs later, after they're done with rev. A, maybe even rev. B when they've ironed out the kinks in the new ones... might be a wiser time to do it. Your investment in the discontinued MBP model will lose less in depreciation over the next year considering where you're starting from. Plus... the MBP Classic is really a nice machine in its own right, with its own distinct personality. Matte screen w/ LED backlighting, despite some folks ragging on it, is really bright, and nice and clear, so you do still have the choice with the Classic to go either way, glossy or matte.

5. esphil macrumors member

Get one from apple refurb for less, don't pay the extra grand, its not worth it!

6. OmahaGTP thread starter macrumors member

Ahhhh, nuts. Just got back from the Apple store here in Omaha, and I left with more uneasiness than when I went in.

Love the feel of the new trackpad. Love the construction style, lack of visible screws, etc.

Like glossy displays. . . may be a bit too glossy, but then again, no matter what I get, I'll always think the grass is greener on the other side.

Curses. I have a few hours left to ponder it over. I can't decide if I like the new ones on their own merit, or because they are new, period.

Apple!

*shakes fist*

7. motoxpress macrumors 6502

I can tell you there is still a lot of merit in the "old" MBPs. For example,

-I really like having the ports spread out over the two sides. It helps with attaching a mouse/keyboard and iPhone or iPod.

-It's also nice to have two FW ports.

-More room for your hands on the hand rest area in front of the keyboard.

-The glossy is not as reflective but still has nice pop.

-DVI port with an adapter in the box.

There are other things as well but, that's all off the top of my head.

-mx

8. turtlebud macrumors 6502a

good news - looks like they extended the offer at amazon (well, it's a new offer, same rebate, until 11/17) so you have a little more time to consider.

in the end, it's really going to be what you prefer - the latest & greatest w/ a price premium or the tried & true at a discount.

For me, I went to the apple store as soon as the new macbook/pros were on display for a similar reason - I wanted to see whether they were worth getting over the old models. While the sales rep at the store didn't really do much to convince me that the new one was worth $800 more, I did fall in love with the new trackpad because it made all the gestures easier to do because of the larger surface area. And yes, it felt cleaner and tighter than the old form factor 17" that I played with in comparison. After a few days of debating, I actually placed an order for a new 15" 2.53Ghz MBP. (In part, I have to admit, it was because at the time, amazon went out of stock on their 2.5Ghz old MBP which meant that I wouldn't be able to get that for $1650 after rebates). Yes, I know that the apple store had the MBP on clearance and if you went through the apple edu store, you could get it for $1599 + tax = $1750, but that was still $100 more than amazon & I get points at amazon, etc.

I checked the order status throughout the next day, just waiting for my MBP to be "prepared for shipment" but it never changed status. Then that evening, I happened to be looking on amazon and lo and behold, the old MBP came back in stock! Within 10 minutes I decided the cancel my order with apple and place an order through amazon. Why? For me, I just felt better about going with something that I knew had been out for awhile and thus all the problems or lack of problems were known. (Oh, and the $800 I'd save) Yes, I know there are issues with the video card, but that should be covered under warranty and aside from that, I just liked the fact that out of the box, I didn't have to buy anything else before I could use it for anything I'd normally use it for (no firewire 400->800 cable to buy, no display port->DVI connector) or get used to anything new (glossy screen, trackpad). Sure I may learn to love the glossy screen & the trackpad & the chiclet keyboard, but I can always revisit the new MBP next year.

9. OmahaGTP thread starter macrumors member

Yup. I saw that the deal extended, too. I noticed that the rebate history showed that the deal was renewing as soon as it was ending, and I sort of banked on it last night. So I get a little more breathing room now.

I still really like the new track pad. I actually like glossy displays, and the new build quality. So I will just think on it for a bit. I think the argument for getting it at this price/selling it when a revision of the new ones come out is a strong one indeed.

I appreciate your help guys/gals. Very much.

10. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I just got the same one you posted from Amazon this past weekend, and I LOVE it.

And saved $$ too.

11. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

My 2 cents.

I bought a Macbook Pro Classic 2 days after the new ones came out for a crazy discount from apple. I bought the 1399 base model with edu discount but if I could not get that discount I would definitely go refurb.

There are lots of threads comparing new vs. old design, so I won't rehash discussions that are already up...

I've got to say, however, that after 2 weeks of using the MBP Classic, I'M SO HAPPY WITH THIS MACHINE. I have begun taking notes in my lectures using this machine instead of paper just because it's such a joy to use this machine!!!! I've used PC's my whole life and I've never been so enthused about a computer. I have absolutely no desire to "upgrade" (one might even call it a "latergrade" given that you loose the keyboard, matte screen, DVI, FW400). Before I bought it and before I realized how awesome it is, I knew that if I didn't like this computer, I could just sell this computer on Ebay for a healthy resale given that it's the last gen of Macs with all the features mentioned above.

Good luck with your decision.

12. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

For all of the reasons posted above, I'd say go the refurb route. The computer is tried and tested, comes with Apple's warranty, and is a terrific computer, whereas the new one has not experienced a significant upgrade, certainly not significant enough to justify the difference in price. Turtlebud is quite right. Buy the refurb now, and if you are still seriously interested in buying a new MBP, sell it and buy the new model when significant upgrades are offered (probably late next year).
    Cheers and good luck

13. likegadgets macrumors 6502

You can reduce the cost differential somewhat. If you order from Macconnection.com (http://www.macconnection.com/IPA/Shop/Product/Detail.htm?sku=8254443) you will also save the tax and get a $150 cash rebate for a net of $2,349. And if you need Fusion Vx- it is free (with rebate) as well as a free case (with rebate). You get more memory, larger drive, new style and graphics, Fusion, case, for $705 difference.

They come in and out of stock. I ordered last week and it shipped last night.

I have purchased stuff from them for years and never had a problem with the purchase or the rebates

14. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Another thought is that these are the first batch of this generation, so if you are not an early adopter, you might want to wait until they refresh them next time.

15. steamed.hams macrumors 6502

steamed.hams

To the OP - I have the model that you posted from amazon, but mine's a refurb. I couldn't be happier with it, especially because I think the new ones look like cheap Dells :eek:

+1 for the Early '08.

16. OmahaGTP thread starter macrumors member

Wow. That sure is the way to go if you're buying new. That is ~325 in savings just on the unit alone. Why must you taunt me so?

I really wish I could find this amazon deal with the glossy display. I've looked at all the mac resellers, and nada. :(

17. steamed.hams macrumors 6502

steamed.hams

If you really prefer a glossy over a matte, then no amount of $$ saved may make you happy with your purchase. Most of the time, it's better to shell out a little extra to be 100% happy with an investment.

18. churchrd macrumors member

OmahaGTP,
    I ordered that same mbp from apple on clearance(edu discount) the weekend after the new ones came out. I've had mine for a week and love it.
    I went to the store last night to get a case for it, and finally was able to see the new mbp in person. I thought it was one of the ugliest notebooks i've seen. It looks good closed, i like the shell. But when it's open i think it's hiddeous. Not that looks are how should judge a laptop. The new trackpad is nice, i could get used to that.

For me it was about price and having two firewire ports. OK and maybe it was a little about looks:) I did take into account the gpu issue, but i thought it was worth the risk.

Anyway, good luck on your decision.

19. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

Even with the low power LED screen and internals which sucks less juice, take note that both the new MB and MBP have lower battery capacity. Which translates to same battery life as the older versions.

20. tivoboy macrumors 68030

amazon

Amazon is now offering THEIR rebate on the new Macbook Pros with glassy screen. Not really sure WHY they are doing only 100$ now, since all other online retailers are doing 150$ rebates, but at least it is at amazon.

so, the decision is tougher. 1650$ net on the older 2.5ghz, or 2400$ net on the new one.

I DO like the new mac/pcconnection offerings though, no tax as well and some extra perks like Fusion, Case, etc. Nice deal for a new buyer.

21. turtlebud macrumors 6502a

agreed. i didn't know that you really liked the glossy display. IF you could find the glossy display on the old one AND save $700-800, then that would be one thing, but I suspect that would be difficult. If you're lucky, you might be able to find the old version is a glossy display in the refurb section at apple, but you never know.

I totally agree that you want to get what you want, even if it costs a bit more. I ended up really wanting the old one over the new one and the cost savings helped. However, if I really wanted a glossy display, I probably would have gone with the new one and paid extra. Get what you want, regardless of the price (within reason) and you'll be happier down the road.

The macconnection deal seems good if you're going new & they don't charge tax to your state (AL, CT, IL, MA, NC, NJ, NY, OH, TN, and TX).

22. steamed.hams macrumors 6502

steamed.hams

IMO, it makes so much more sense to get the older 2.5 for $1650, because it's still such a freaking steal at that price.

The money I saved by buying an MBP classic is going to making my experience better - now I can spend a little more to get a nice bag with a stylish, durable sleeve, and having an upgraded machine with a bigger HD and RAM will be easy on the wallet when all taken together.

23. domwindle macrumors newbie

i've had mine for a few months now and i love it as much now as i did when i got it(that's not to say that i wouldn't love a new one....if i had the money)

for the difference in price i would definitely get the old one
    the only reason you would need the new one would be for gaming or graphics reasons
    but at the end of the day the 2gb ram in the old one is more than sufficient for both leopard and vista (you really wouldn't notice any difference)
    the processors haven't significantly changed
    and i really love the old mbp keyboard

24. tivoboy macrumors 68030

last time

Last time I checked the ones at apples refurb site WERE glosssy.

25. turtlebud macrumors 6502a

oh, i just meant there were no 15" glossy macbook pros when I looked. I saw glossy 17" ones, but not 15" ones.