First time mac owner as of today. MBP 13 i5

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rossmadden, Mar 8, 2011.

1. rossmadden macrumors member

Hi all.

I bought my first Mac today, the i5 13" Pro.

I love it so far, the battery life is amazing compared to the windows notebook that i've upgraded from.
    It's whisper quiet, even though i've been multi tasking quite a lot today whilst trying out my new toy.
    The back lit keyboard is brilliant. Being able to type as fast as normal in very low light is something I don't think I will ever go back to not having.

Though I haven't done anything really intensive, the laptop has remained stone cold and I have barely heard it.

Anyway, I'm very pleased with it, but I'm still finding my way around with an OS that I have never used before. I was wondering about any useful apps. I've seen on these forums things like istat and a program that controls the fan?

Anyway, like I said, I'm very happy.

Cheers, Ross.

(p.s. i bought it from an apple reseller under a buy now pay 6 months later option. They gave me a normal education discount [I'm a student] and sadly not the HE discount. However the salesman made a typo and entered £393 instead of £939, if I didnt show my confusing to it, he wouldnt have noticed and I would have had a brand new macbook pro for £393/$675. shame i opened my mouth).

2. trent0n macrumors newbie

if you want to hear it...play a couple HD videos at the same time....it gets loud! ive got the same computer.

3. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

There are tons of threads like this. Mroogle it, it'll probably give you a variety of apps to use :}

This is what I have when I started

iStat Pro
    BetterTouchTool
    smcFanControl
    LittleSnitch
    Parallels
    Senuti
    CleanMyMac
    Apptivate
    BashFlash

Hope these were useful :D

4. rossmadden thread starter macrumors member

Yeah i know i should have mroogle thing, but I wanted to tell my story aswell :p, sorry.

but yeah, this is very helpful, thank you very much :D.

5. ^^BIGMac macrumors 6502a

^^BIGMac

6. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

Congrats on hopping over to OSX. Seems like a lot of people are converting. Is it b/c Apple has the only SB laptops shipping also? It pays to be ahead of the curve!

7. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

I wanted to get to it before someone else who is less than nice came in :D

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Congratulations and enjoy your MBP and welcome to the world of Mac. I doubt you'll (ever want to) change back. I "switched" in 2008, and while I have had to use Windows in work situations since then, when given a choice about what to use, there is no argument.

Re apps, the very first one I bought was Office for Mac; my entire work universe uses Word, and doing without it was simply not possible. FWIW, I also invested in Applecare for both of my Apple computers (MBP and MBA), and consider it money well-spent.

Cheers and good luck

9. rossmadden thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I will invest in Office, always thought it was a plus of using Windows.

I'll probably buy the Apple care in 10/11 months time when the first year is near enough up.

I, like you have to use windows in university still, I have no qualms with that, it is what it is and I'm not a windows hater, but I'm sure when I stick my teeth in to OSX (especially lion) i'll never want to go back.

thanks

10. ZombieZakk macrumors 6502

Congrats!

One thing you might want to do is make sure you download firefox i love and use safari for all my browsing but sometimes university programs or sites wont format correctly so i use firefox for homework.

office for mac is so much better than iwork apple software in media rules but microsoft still does office applications the best.