First time selling phone on ebay...help please

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cchunk, Sep 25, 2013.

1. cchunk macrumors 6502

So i sold my sprint 4s on ebay. Its my first time selling an iphone so i was just wondering what i need to do phone wise. I know about wiping it clean and setting up as new, but what do i do with the SIM card?

Am i leaving it in or keeping it for myself. Any help will be appreciated lol

2. user-name-here macrumors 65816

If you've disconnected service on that sim card, presumably because you upgraded to a new phone, then that sim card will never work again.

I'd still remove it though out of courtesy.

Also, be SUPER careful about selling iPhones on eBay. There are tons and I mean TONS of scammers on there who know how to game the system. Here's a recent post from yesterday from a prominent member here on the forum who had to deal with one : http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=18001959&postcount=20

3. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

You can do either or. I just wipe it clean then ship it.

4. cchunk thread starter macrumors 6502

I am gonna use a temp. phone until i can get my hands on a 5s. I still have service on it, so should i just remove it anyways? or take it

5. user-name-here macrumors 65816

Take it out to be safe.

Also read that link that I included after you quoted me. Once you send your phone to the buyer you basically have no control whatsoever in the transaction. I would highly recommend selling your phone instead via craigslist or some other direct sale site that is trustworthy like gazelle, ANYTHING but eBay.

6. cchunk thread starter macrumors 6502

they wont have a problem getting a new one, would they?

7. user-name-here macrumors 65816

No, they will just go to a sprint store and get one when they activate the phone.

8. cchunk thread starter macrumors 6502

ok thanks for the help!

9. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

Good advice here, especially about really considering if you want to do ebay.

It used to be easy to sell iPhones but now, there are a lot of people who are out to take advantage of others. Also, eBay/paypal are complete *******s to sellers. If there is a dispute they will almost certainly side with the buyer. Buy shipping insurance to protect yourself.

One more thing...bidders with 0 feedback ratings....put in your listing that you won't sell to them and that you will cancel any bids from buyers with 0 feedback. I have never had a good experience with them and I am about to re-list my 4S because someone with no feedback (once again) has apparently flaked on me.

You might want to consider not selling internationally also. You will have to put this in your listing as well becuase invariably, some dude from ubekakazekiopikastan will win your auction and ask you to ship it to some impossible place to reach, and when you tell him it costs $200 to get the phone to him he will likely disappear, leaving you in limbo for days while you wait for eBay to process your no pay claim.

Just my $0.02. Good luck.

10. pilot1226 macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

I used gazelle because I heard way too many horror stories from eBay and too many muggings from Craigslist.

I've used them before. No problems period.

Basically gazelle gave me enough money to pay for my new phone. Foolish not to upgrade.

11. inboxer macrumors regular

I HATE ebay. 100% correct here. Also try BuyBackWorld since they pay more and buy alot of other items that Gazelle no longer buys. My wife and I have used BuyBackWorld to sell over a dozen devices.

12. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Yep, I like to see at least 5 feed backs. I had a new ebay member win my item and ask if I could send him the camera and let him make payments!:eek:

13. golu099 macrumors newbie

Need ugent help eBay!!!!!!!!

Im sorry if you have already explained this but I have a question:
    If I buy Iphone 5s from the store at $199 under the Verizon price and I wanna sell it on eBay then what procedure must I follow so that a) I don't have a contract and pay for the monthly line with Verizon b) when the customer tries to activate the phone it doesn't read as stolen c) what are the steps I must do???? so I can sell this on eBay but buy it at a 199 price PLEASE HELP!!! First time doing this!:apple:

14. sk24iam macrumors regular

Definitely remove the SIM card.

Make sure to delete your phone data and clean it up as best you can.

When you ship the phone out, use bubble wrap to protect your phone. Packages can sometimes get tossed around the delivery truck.

Also make sure to only send to a verified PayPal address. This way you will qualify for PayPal's seller protection plan.

Also to protect yourself, add insurance, tracking, and signature upon delivery at the post office. This won't cost very much more and will help protect you if the package is lost or the buyer tries to scam you.

----------

Simply buy the phone from Verizon. Don't open it out of the box or activate it to your account. You can ask the store rep not to actually open it and you'll take care of it on your own.

Then you can sell it on eBay for upwards of $700+. As long as you don't report it stolen, it won't be stolen and the buyer won't have a problem activating the iPhone on their account.