First time upgrading under a business account

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by filmfanatic24, Sep 12, 2012.

1. filmfanatic24 macrumors 6502

I have purchased the new iPhone on release day everyday since the first launch. This year my line has been transferred to the company that I work for. My plan is to pay full price for the 5 (selling my 4s to recoup some of th cost).

My question is: since the 5 doesn't have the same SIM as the 4s I can't just swap them when the new phone arrives, I'll have to activate it in iTunes. Since it's been a long time I can't remember if you need account details to do this. I clearly don't know the social or the billing info for the company.

Anyone done something like this in a past launch that can lend some insight? I would like to not have to tell the company anything if I can, since I own my current phone and am paying for the new one.

2. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

They will usually request a letter of authorization from someone listed with administrative authority on the account. Contact your IT department. After that, you can get a new SIM card. You may even be able to get a discounted price through the corporate plan. Good luck!

3. filmfanatic24 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I don't expect to get a discount, I really don't want to involve the company at all if possible (only been with them a few months). Ideally I could play full price, plug into iTunes, tell it th phone number and just have it activated.

Unfortunately I'm starting to think it won't be that easy.

4. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

That would be nice. They say it depends on the size of the company.

Last time, I used the upgrade from one of my lines to use on my wife's corporate line. They wouldn't even issue a new SIM without that letter.

5. filmfanatic24 thread starter macrumors 6502

It's a pretty small company, under 30 people.

6. filmfanatic24 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok here is a new idea.

What if I open a new account as a Mobile Share with my wife's phone to get the subsidized price. Will I be able to take that new phone with the new number and my old phone with the line my work pays for into an AT&T store and have them swap the lines for me? Thus putting my work pay line in the new phone and my new line in the old phone?

7. dave006 macrumors 68020

Yes this will work just fine AT&T can move devices to any line of service. Once buy it an commit to a new 2 year contract they don't care what you do with the actual device.

Note that the Mobile Share data will be about $30 for the "new-line".

Do you plan to keep that new line alive?

Dave

8. filmfanatic24 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ideally what I would do is get the new line, switch the 5 over to my work line and then dump the new line and sell the 4s.

The area I see my running into a problem with is that the 5 has the new SIM and thus wether I will have to get the business to give authorization for a new one to be activated.