Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

h1kar1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2007
Los angeles
Company: Rode
Model: iXY
Size: 8 x 2 x 3″
Weight: 1lbs
Price: $199.00

About:

The RØDE iXY is the ultimate recording microphone for iPhone, iPad. With up to 24-bit/96k recording and on-board high-fidelity A/D conversion, your iXY recordings are rich, smooth and accurate. At the heart of the iXY is a matched pair of ½” cardioid condenser capsules, fixed in a perfect 90 degree ‘near-coincident’ alignment. This results in immersive and true-to-life stereo recordings, captured in incredibly high detail. The iXY is supplied with a foam windshield for outdoor recording as well as a reinforced protective zip case to ensure your iXY is available whenever you need it.

iXY is the perfect microphone for capturing a sermon at church or music from a local cafe, to large stadium shows. The XY stereo pattern lets you record exactly what you hear, and the adjustable input level makes sure you can record even the loudest concert with total clarity. The iXY is also the perfect recording solution for field reporters, giving you broadcast-quality audio at a moment’s notice.

First Thoughts:

I was very impressed with all aspects of this product from it’s packaging which emphasizes focus on the microphone hovering within a cube above its box. To its solid build quality and feel, which gives an impression that if dropped down a flight of stairs you wouldn’t blink an eye. With attention to detail and included accessories like a windshield and molded protective zipper case. You have everything you need to get out the door and record.

Features & Specs:
  • High-fidelity 24bit/96k
  • XY Stereo recording
  • adjustable input level
  • High pass filter
  • Includes wind shield and molded case
R0DE Rec App

The $5.99 RØDE Rec app for the iPhone is a complete recording, editing, and sharing studio for your iOS device. Highlights include:

• High resolution 16-bit, 48kHz stereo/mono recording (up to 24-bit/96kHz when paired with the RØDE iXY microphone)
  • EQ and dynamics: Compression, high/low-pass filter, and frequency cut/boost
  • Live input monitoring
  • Preset recording profiles for a range of common situations (lecture, concert, interview and more)
  • Complete control of the iXY microphone, including high pass filter and LED behavior
  • Real-time waveform and one-touch markers
  • Landscape mode provides greater visibility when editing
  • Non linear cut/copy/paste/crop
  • Output in multiple formats including WAV, AIFF, AAC, Apple Lossless, FLAC and more
Editing in the RØDE Rec app.

You can edit what you’ve recorded on your iPhone or iPad before sharing it. This is a great timesaver when working on the go. Rotating the iPhone sideways reveals a waveform editor. Tap and drag downward to select an area. Tap on the blue dot to reveal the contextual menu with options for your selection. Their may be a small learning curve here but works awesome.

Software and Hardware working together

In my sample recording with an iPhone 5, I recorded in my office with windows and doors open without the foam windshield that comes with the mic. I could monitor my input with headphones while I spoke. I used the “Interview” preset that’s located in the Input menu for the app. Once I finish a capture, it’s added to the Recordings menu where all of my files are listed. I can then have options for sharing them as an AIFF, WAVE, CAF, AAC, Apple Lossless, FLAC, or Ogg Vorbis. The master audio remains in my Recordings menu until I remove it.

Final Thoughts: (after a week of use)

The RØDE iXY Stereo Recording Microphone is a quality stereo microphone that converts your iPhone into a high resolution audio recorder. As nice as the mic itself is, what pulls this package together is the RØDE Rec app that maximizes the hardware’s capabilities. I am extremely happy with this product and plan on purchasing the lightning version of this product as well when it’s released.

The R0DE iXY replaces my portable microphone allowing me to use my iPhone for recording on the go instead of having to carry a separate devices with out scarfing audio quality.

Disappointments: (small nit-picking)

• Only a 30pin connecter version (lightning in the works)

davidsdiego

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2011
San Diego, CA
Company: Rode
Model: iXY
Size: 8 x 2 x 3″
Weight: 1lbs
Price: $199.00

About:

The RØDE iXY is the ultimate recording microphone for iPhone, iPad. With up to 24-bit/96k recording and on-board high-fidelity A/D conversion, your iXY recordings are rich, smooth and accurate. At the heart of the iXY is a matched pair of ½” cardioid condenser capsules, fixed in a perfect 90 degree ‘near-coincident’ alignment. This results in immersive and true-to-life stereo recordings, captured in incredibly high detail. The iXY is supplied with a foam windshield for outdoor recording as well as a reinforced protective zip case to ensure your iXY is available whenever you need it.

iXY is the perfect microphone for capturing a sermon at church or music from a local cafe, to large stadium shows. The XY stereo pattern lets you record exactly what you hear, and the adjustable input level makes sure you can record even the loudest concert with total clarity. The iXY is also the perfect recording solution for field reporters, giving you broadcast-quality audio at a moment’s notice.

First Thoughts:

I was very impressed with all aspects of this product from it’s packaging which emphasizes focus on the microphone hovering within a cube above its box. To its solid build quality and feel, which gives an impression that if dropped down a flight of stairs you wouldn’t blink an eye. With attention to detail and included accessories like a windshield and molded protective zipper case. You have everything you need to get out the door and record.

Features & Specs:
  • High-fidelity 24bit/96k
  • XY Stereo recording
  • adjustable input level
  • High pass filter
  • Includes wind shield and molded case
R0DE Rec App

The $5.99 RØDE Rec app for the iPhone is a complete recording, editing, and sharing studio for your iOS device. Highlights include:

• High resolution 16-bit, 48kHz stereo/mono recording (up to 24-bit/96kHz when paired with the RØDE iXY microphone)
  • EQ and dynamics: Compression, high/low-pass filter, and frequency cut/boost
  • Live input monitoring
  • Preset recording profiles for a range of common situations (lecture, concert, interview and more)
  • Complete control of the iXY microphone, including high pass filter and LED behavior
  • Real-time waveform and one-touch markers
  • Landscape mode provides greater visibility when editing
  • Non linear cut/copy/paste/crop
  • Output in multiple formats including WAV, AIFF, AAC, Apple Lossless, FLAC and more
Editing in the RØDE Rec app.

You can edit what you’ve recorded on your iPhone or iPad before sharing it. This is a great timesaver when working on the go. Rotating the iPhone sideways reveals a waveform editor. Tap and drag downward to select an area. Tap on the blue dot to reveal the contextual menu with options for your selection. Their may be a small learning curve here but works awesome.

Software and Hardware working together

In my sample recording with an iPhone 5, I recorded in my office with windows and doors open without the foam windshield that comes with the mic. I could monitor my input with headphones while I spoke. I used the “Interview” preset that’s located in the Input menu for the app. Once I finish a capture, it’s added to the Recordings menu where all of my files are listed. I can then have options for sharing them as an AIFF, WAVE, CAF, AAC, Apple Lossless, FLAC, or Ogg Vorbis. The master audio remains in my Recordings menu until I remove it.

Final Thoughts: (after a week of use)

The RØDE iXY Stereo Recording Microphone is a quality stereo microphone that converts your iPhone into a high resolution audio recorder. As nice as the mic itself is, what pulls this package together is the RØDE Rec app that maximizes the hardware’s capabilities. I am extremely happy with this product and plan on purchasing the lightning version of this product as well when it’s released.

The R0DE iXY replaces my portable microphone allowing me to use my iPhone for recording on the go instead of having to carry a separate devices with out scarfing audio quality.

Disappointments: (small nit-picking)

• Only a 30pin connecter version (lightning in the works)

By any chance have you compared it to the Tascam iM2X?

davidsdiego

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2011
San Diego, CA
If you really want top quality recordings are you really using an iPhone to do that? I know nothing about it but I figure there would be better options out there.

The iPhone 5s has great multiple microphones, although it records in mono. These accessories are semi high-end stereo microphones. I haven't tried the Rode iXY, although I watched some videos and they sounded great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.