Fiscal Cliff Poll.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by tshrimp, Feb 25, 2013.

?

What is your view for addressing the Fiscal Cliff.

1. Cut Spending Only

20 vote(s)
    33.9%
  2. Increase Taxes Only

5 vote(s)
    8.5%
  3. Both

32 vote(s)
    54.2%
  4. Other - Explain

2 vote(s)
    3.4%
  1. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

With all the back and forth between the Democrats and Republicans, I was curious as to every ones thought on whether we should raise taxes, cut spending, both, or other?

I for one am for both as long as there is a time limit on the tax increase, and more of a concentration on cuts and very little on the increase. I might have a different view if economic times were better, but with things being harder for many a tax increase should be very very small right now.

2. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

We already raised taxes. So the rest should come from spending cuts.....

3. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

So shrimp do you actually follow the news?

I think the spending cuts should come from withholding Republicans pay and sending them back home. They have as much value as teats on a boar.

4. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

And likewise, why don't we cut Democrats and all politicians pay. Make them work for the same amount of money the average american middle class person makes.

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

They don't exactly do an "average middle class" job...

6. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

It was taxes and spending cuts before. So why just spending cuts now?

P-Worm

7. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Because the deal back in January already raised taxes( technically it was a tax cut, but the right groups taxes weren't lowered back down) to my satisfaction. Now we just need to focus on the spending cuts.

8. iMikeT macrumors 68020

First of all, the so-called "fiscal cliff" was two months ago. It's sequester this time around.

I'm not going to vote in the poll because it's too black and white about "spending cuts" so I'll just voice my opinion.

I think the government needs to raise the effective tax rates for those making above $250,000 per year and eliminate the tax loopholes in place that allow corporations and the very rich to pay virtually no taxes.

As far as spending cuts goes, I am in favor of spending cuts that do not affect the middle class and the poor. The cuts need to come from the bloated military/defense (offense) budget that the Pentagon has clearly stated they don't need.

9. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

zBecause the Dems would like to move us forward the rest not so much.

10. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

ha, so now you want to segregate and base pay on who you think is "moving us forward."

Give them all the same pay and let us vote on if they should get a pay raise or not.

11. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Yup..it's really quite simple

Or how about we segregate..I'd be cool with that

When the dem's act as obstructionists then we don't pay them..

There are people here to have this debate with, I'm not one of them. I see no value in un-pragmatic legislators. And yes I'm the judge of pragmatic.

Any other silly arguments?

12. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Probably have to do both, but I don't really want to see rates go up higher than they already are. Any increase in revenue needs to be spread across the board though.

13. tshrimp thread starter macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Good point. They do less then the average middle class.

----------

Some comments in line.

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I agree. You have to have a balanced approach.

Novel.

15. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

The rich hold all the wealth. The last figure I saw was that 98% of the wealth was held by the top 6%. So how to you reconcile that? The poor are scraping by. How low on the totem poll tree do you go before you don't pay anything? Anyone know? I'm too lazy today to look it up today.

For perspective, keep in mind that this crisis has been peculating since the 1980s when the GOP started pushing for lower taxes and succeeding without insisting on pay cuts, but the paycuts they want don't include the military or corporate welfare, just the poor who can't really defend themselves. The plan was to ferment a crisis and then use it to cut programs they don't like. The GOP is despicable.

16. iMikeT macrumors 68020

I think the rich and corporations paying the majority of taxes is a myth in the modern day. This is evident because these guys have loopholes they clearly take advantage of and the fact that corporations get tax rebates than come from public tax dollars that you and I paid for. The dirt poor pay nothing because they fall into the tax bracket where they qualify to pay nothing. In actuality, it's the middle-class that pay all the taxes and which is the reason why the middle class is suffering.

I agree with taking out the loopholes but not to a flat tax. Not everyone will pay a "fair share" in a flat tax. It will look fair on the surface but when you do the actual number crunching, the poor will pay a substantial amount of their income in a flat tax and the rich will pay less than what we all ready have set up. Which is exactly why we need to have a progressive tax rate that requires more of out those who are well off and have benefited the most from our system.

We as a country all ready spend something like 15 times more on our military than all other countries combined spend on their militaries. I think we'll be fine when it comes to military strength even if we cut half of that budget.

Also, keep in mind that most of the money is going into the pockets of the war profiteers because of their government contracts and not into the military itself.

17. anonymouslurker macrumors regular

As far as income tax goes, corporations pay around 17% of the total income tax received by the IRS.

Individual returns of AGI over $200k pay just over 50% of the total income tax received by the IRS.

50% + 17% = well over a majority. It's math, not a myth.

sources

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Who is talking about only income tax?

19. anonymouslurker macrumors regular

The discussion to which I replied.

20. maxosx macrumors 68020

True. Only POTUS & his cronies can spend days golfing & vacationing. Then return and blame the countries problems on everything under the sun. Play the victim like some eight year old, while predicting gloom & doom.

Having initially campaigned as the great uniter, proclaiming his earnest desire to bring people together and to lead. Now only to turn 180 and demonstrate to everyone that pity parties are to be celebrated.

21. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

Here is a better idea:

Continue to let both parties play their games and point fingers at the other side, sway public opinion to blame etc etc.

The situation will continue to get worse and eventually approach the type of crisis we see in parts of Europe with no way out except austerity and bailouts from other countries. The only other options will be mounting civil unrest, crime, protests etc.

Except here you do not have it in a relative micro-economy like Spain but in a big economy which will further drag down global markets and hurt even the Chinese

That will sink the country into a long term negative growth scenario, such as has been seen in Japan and elsewhere.

Given human nature, is this not the most likely path? :)

22. Squilly macrumors 68020

Squilly

23. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Pointless poll.

I agree with the others that its pointless to raise taxed on the min wagers. 10% out of 20k a year is huge and that 2k will probably go back into the economy. 10% on 250k is a lot of money but won't mean poverty for the family. It's probably going on luxury goods or a house upgrade. Neither will have a major impact.

Why is it that the right wants no min wage yet wants to tax the poorest Americans the same as the wealthiest? There's a total lack of logic a d compassion here. Can someone give me a valid reason?

24. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

Because those on the right that espouse this are not being genuine and falling in behind group rhetoric.

In the interest of "fairness" they want everyone to be treated the same when in reality, the right themselves are beneficiaries of an unfair system as well as the hard work and sacrifice they are so ready to remind us of.

I'm tired of the pull your self up by the bootstraps mentality, when those that are often the loudest proponents of it, did nothing of the kind.

25. n8236 macrumors 65816