Fitness Wearables that Integrate with Health App

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by tardman91, Nov 16, 2014.

1. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

What kinds of wearables are you guys using that aggregate data to the health app? I'm looking for something with heart rate, and distance trackers (gps would be a plus, but not required), waterproof/resistant, and sleep tracking. It would be nice if it could go at least a few days before a recharge. I know there's stuff from Fitbit, jawbone, basic, Microsoft, etc. I've been looking around at reviews and stuff, but wanted to see if anyone had any firsthand experience with them and/or recommendations or ones to stay away from. I'm looking to keep it under or right at $200, hence the reason I'm not waiting for the apple watch.

2. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

This might seem dumb, but have you considered just using your phone? I used to have a FitBit, but dropped it when the M7 was released on the iPhone. There's Sleep Cycle for sleep tracking, Heart Rate for heart rate, M7 for steps, flights, and distance traveled.

Having said that, I've heard good thing about Withings' products.

3. tardman91 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tardman91

How does just the phone track sleeping and heart rate? I have been using the phone since I got the six. I'm really enjoying seeing my steps, distance, and flights. I'd like something a little more involved now. I like to run, but don't really like to carry my phone with me when I do so, so it would be nice to just have something on my wrist that keeps all of my data and syncs up. I'll look at Withing's stuff. Thanks for the suggestion.

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

I suppose that's fine if you carry your phone with you all the time. For me though I found it really doesn't happen. I rarely carry my phone when going for a run. I often don't carry it when walking the dogs. When I'm doing stuff around the house such as yardwork, repairs, improvements, cleaning, cooking, etc. my phone might be in the same area, but rarely on my person. Lots of daily movement that goes untracked.

I've had a fuelband SE but it doesn't seem linked to the Health App. I'm considering a new running watch with integrated fitness monitor such as the Polar M400 or V800, but haven't really decided I need to upgrade my old Garmin just yet.

5. tardman91 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tardman91

The new Microsoft band seems to be pretty well-reviewed, as well as the Jawbone UP3. Anyone own any of those and can comment? I know they're quite different (screen vs. no screen), but both seem to collect a good amount of data. I like the 7 day battery life of the UP3 compared to the 1-2 days for the Microsoft band.

6. legioxi macrumors 6502a

Microsoft band is uncomfortable to wear, doesn't integrate with the Health app, requires a MS cloud account and does not reliably track HR. I returned mine after a couple days.

7. aajeevlin macrumors 6502a

Maybe I can help out a bit with some personal experience. I spent a couple of days researching as well as trying out a couple of the popular devices. My goal was to find a activity tracker that can somewhat accurately track and RECORD heart rate AT ALL TIME.

Now the reason why I had cap the "record" and "at all time" is that I noticed when it comes to heart rate monitor (and actually continuously recording it), there are two types of devices that you can buy.

1. This kind of heart rate tracker, would display your heart rate as you are wearing the device. However, they DOT NOT record your heart rate at all time. They only engage and starts to record your heart rate when you manually click on the "go" and tell the device that you are in exercise mode. They are also not meant to be a all day long device, I believe they last 8-10 hours at most. Devices such as Rhythm+, and Mio Link class heart rate tracker.

2. The other kind of heart rate tracker is designed to monitor and record your heart rate at all time regardless if you are exercising or not. That means if you are sleeping, exercise, walking, or simply just staying alive, it will keep track of your heart rate. Of course they also offer the ability for you to manually tell the device when you are ready to exercise. For example, Microsoft band, will record your heart rate at all time, and you can also tell the device when you are ready to exercise or go for a run. Other similar devices are Basis Peak, Fibit Charge HR.
    (Note, I have yet to come across any all day heart rate monitor/record device that will link to the iPhone health app heart rate section yet)

My issues with the Microsoft band is that it is big (but not bad), however the horizontal screen means you have to wear the actual device at the bottom of your wrist for ease of reading, and since the screen is made out of cheap plastic, I have already received crazy amount of scratches by the end of the first day. Another issues is that despite the many sensors the MS band offers, the app is not as good as it can be. I.e., if you want to look at your heart rate after a whole day of record, it will only show you the highest heart rate of the day, you can't drag around difference time to see what your heart rate is at during a specific time. I personally think the MS band is a decent device, but the app can use a lot of improvement and please design something that I don't want to wear at the bottom of my wrist.

So with all that, I'm currently looking forward to the Fitbit Charge HR (for sure won't support Apple Health Kit), and not surprisingly the Apple Watch.

Anybody else have difference experience/device they like to share? Specifically with the heart rate stuff?

8. Breezygirl macrumors 6502

Breezygirl

I use the Jawbone UP24. It's amazing and syncs with the health app and many other popular fitness apps. I watched and read a ton of reviews before choosing it and have not been disappointed. The app is great for motivating you.

It does not have the heart rate monitor but the new UP3 will when it comes out in a couple of months.

9. aajeevlin macrumors 6502a

Thanks. Didn't know about the UP3, looks rather promising. They didn't quite mention if the heart rate is a 24/7 or if it's only activity based e.g., during sleeping, running, playing sports.

Will have to give it a try when it comes out, the price is acceptable as well.

10. tardman91 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tardman91

Is there a release date for the UP3? Of all the ones I've come across so far that seems to keep attracting my attention.

11. legioxi macrumors 6502a

The MS Band is not accurate with HR except in exercise mode, or at least mine wasn't. If I ran up 4 flights of steps in everyday mode, it showed my HR at 70 BPM. If I turned on exercise mode and did the same thing, it showed my HR over 150. This was repeatable for me.

Also, regardless of mode, it has a hard time keeping a HR lock even if it was super tight and couldn't move.

EDIT: Also I'm looking for the same thing, a 24/7 HR monitor, though one that will update the Health app from Apple and not require a cloud account with any company.

----------

6-7 weeks according to their estimated shipping on the Jawbone website. Other sites seem to be quoting this as well.

12. aajeevlin macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the input on the MS band. I mainly returned the band because there was no way to extract any useful information from the record. Unlike similar website such as Garmin, where you can easily extract certain pace at a particular time. I'd say they really need to do better with their app.

Yes, I'd certainly go for a device that is more closely integrated with the apple health kit. Hence, I'm holding out for the Apple watch, I want to see what it can offer.

One thing I did discover is that I rather enjoyed the notification function of the MS band. I didn't think it was going to be that useful, but in the 3 days of testing it, I have had several times where I would have missed a phone call or message because I was away from the phone or because I was in a extremely loud environment and I didn't hear my phone ring.

13. Breezygirl macrumors 6502

Breezygirl

I just saw on Twitter on the Jawbone page that you can pre-order now on Jawbone US website for UP3, shipping in 3-4 weeks.

14. ViktorVaughn macrumors member

15. xlost6 macrumors 6502

Same here. That will answer all the questions I have for the Health app.

16. tardman91 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tardman91

The Apple Watch definitely looks cool, but I'm not looking to spend $350+. I'll probably wait for a second/third generation that makes it thinner, waterproof, and battery that lasts more than a day.

17. tardman91 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tardman91

I think I've narrowed my choices down to the upcoming Jawbone Up3 and the Fitbit Charge HR. I know the fitbit doesn't work with HealthKit, but I'm beginning to think maybe that's not really a big deal. They're both "available soon," whatever that means, and the price difference is only $30, so not too significant.

Has anyone used both Jawbone and Fitbit's fitness trackers/software and have any reccomendations?