Five girls strip searched in Iowa school

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by luminosity, Sep 6, 2009.

1. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20090905/NEWS/909050337/-1/SPORTS09

Hit the link for more.

This strikes me as being phenomenally stupid, aside from being illegal and wrong. The Supreme Court just ruled on this. The ruling doesn't go back years or decades, or cover a similar but not quite the same issue, it just ruled on precisely this. I'm an Arizonan, so it had a bit of added meaning for me since the incident that made the Court happened in this state.

Does anyone else find this to be stupid, aside from troubling? A precedent was just reached by the highest Court in the land in July and some school authorities proceed not only to ignore this ruling but multiply that particular case by five.

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

The line I find troubling is

It suggests that it may be legal in other states to strip search students.

Also I find the method of searching totally unnecessarily embarrassing for the accused, the accusser did not need to be present, they didnot have to do it all in the same room as each other. Totally wrong.

The child protection issues bought up by any kind of personal searching are bad enough without getting into the reign of asking them to remove any clothes.

If it were me I would've told the teachers to shove off and call the police if they really wanted to search me.

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Same here, unfortunatly not nearly enough of our youth know the law, or even ones as common sense as this. If a teacher ever told me I was going to be strip searched I'd ask on what authority as I leave laughing through the doorway. Seriously, while I do not blame the victims at all, why would anyone ever agree to let it happen at all to themselves?

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

It is easy to see why people agree, over your formative years you spend a lot of time in schools and the discipline structure of that enviornment. Teachers take the in loco parentis role at school and combined with the discipline structure there is a lot of pressure on young people who aren't assured of their own personal strengths and standards and what is really acceptable in the society which they are often cotton wooled from.

This is not just true for teachers but is applicable to anyone who is perceived to be in a position of power above you.

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Thats exactly what I figured, I personally always had misgivings about not following a teachers instructions (and can see why some people would do just about anything they tell them). For me personally though, my "this just isn't right" alarm would easily overpower my misgivings.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I think and hope some school officials will loose their jobs over this.

7. luminosity thread starter macrumors 65816

luminosity

What I can't get over is that the Supreme Court (not a circuit court or some local court in a small state) just ruled on this in July.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I agree, and that is why sleeping with students, even those over the age of consent, is illegal in the UK.

Regardless I can't believe anyone would resort to strip searching over $100.

9. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

It really wouldn't surprise me if they had not heard of such ruling.

10. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Sounds like someone wanted to get some jollies and had nothing to do with $100.

11. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

If someone strip searched my kid I would beat the living hell out of someone.

12. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

That's outrageous. And letting the accuser watch. Crazy!

13. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

how can people be that stupid.

I do not think the school should of even had the right to search there bags much less what they are wearing.

Plus if you are careering a 100 bucks on you at school is just asking for trouble. There is no need to carry that much money at school....
    The teacher and the school really crossed a line.

14. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I sure would hope that every school administrator made a point of teachers knowing this during the meetings before classes began. If they didn't, it's bordering on negligence.

15. luminosity thread starter macrumors 65816

luminosity

Also, things like that have a way of making the rounds in general conversation amongst teachers and other staff. One person hears about it, tells someone else and on it goes.