fix small case border chip?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cookiesnfooty, Dec 29, 2011.

1. cookiesnfooty macrumors 6502

cookiesnfooty

Hi phone dropped off the unit on vibrate and now there is a small chip to the white border on the left side of the phone, does anyone know a way to repair without replacing front LCD and digitizer?

2. PaulyD macrumors 6502

I got the exact same chip on my white iPhone 4S too.

Unfortunately the glass/case and screen are all glued together and as far as I know there is no way to seperate them without breaking them.

Only way is for the full screen replacement or whole replacement phone from Apple.

3. cookiesnfooty thread starter macrumors 6502

cookiesnfooty

Hi yes I've been quoted £123 for a company using official parts or £89 using none original parts, I have been advised it would need screen and digitiser + front replaced expensive for such a small area.

Is there no way to fill in the missing plastic?

----------

Also if my iphone is sometimes rebooting on its own is that grounds to claim for replacement or is it just an ios5 bug?

4. dickdaney macrumors regular

5. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Sounds like a warranty claim and possible phone replacement. Contact Apple or your reseller. Forget the chip. :)

6. claimed4all macrumors 6502

Any chip filling ideas, I got the same chip in the white by my volume buttons. I didn't chip the glass, just the edge of the white plastic. I want fill the white plastic, Any Ideas?

I have tried out a few bumpers and I hate them so I would prefer a naked phone.

7. Binarymix macrumors 6502a

I have a similar chip right on the edge.

I have a white iPhone so when light hits it the shadow makes it look 10x worse.

I've been trying silane (this is what speedy uses to fix window cracks) to fill the chip, unfortunately it keeps sucking into the gaps of the phone. :(

As for the person above, try some hard white silicone to fill the nicks in the border.

8. claimed4all macrumors 6502

I gave in and picked up an Apple Bumper to cover it.

But I have been reading, and I will try at some point, that white automotive touch up paint should do it. Find a shade that matches and that paint dries real hard and is sandable.