Fixable? Lines on my MacBook Pro monitor - minor damage

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mstiggs, Sep 21, 2008.

1. mstiggs macrumors newbie

I have a 3 year old MacBook Pro 15". I adore it. I'm not sure what happened but it appears to have been knocked or something fell on it, I can't figure it out. This computer has taken a bit of abuse and it's always been fine and then nothing happened to it (that I know of) and now I have a major problem. The problem is I have all these colored lines running both horizontal and vertically across my screen as well as a small section at the bottom that is completely grey and the middle of the bottom of my screen is opaque white. The only unusual thing I can find is a very small dent in the aluminum casing right next to the screen. I tried to take a screen shot but the screen shot doesn't show any of the lines which makes me believe this is a hardware problem. The computer is running fine otherwise but I've lost at least 15% of my screen visibility..and it's really obnoxious. My guess is (I could be completely wrong) is that this dent is putting pressure on the screen causing these visual distortions...the grey splotch appears to be growing out from where the dent is. I need to know if this is something that Apple can fix or if I should just cut my losses and start financing a new computer. I'm no longer under warranty so fixing it will be expensive and I need to know if it's even worth it.

Thanks!

J

2. nufanec macrumors regular

Its most likely a fault in the display panel probably caused by being knocked about. There is a bit of clearance between the display rear housing and the panel so I don't think the dent could be causing it. You would need to replace the display panel to rectify the problem. This isn't really a repair you can do yourself (well you could, but it is definitely not advisable!). Take it to your nearest Apple Store and ask for a quote.

The other thing it could be is the LVDS cable not being seated correctly, or becoming worn. This is quite unlikely though.

3. Habusho macrumors 6502

You could search for your MBPs model's display and buy the panel yourself and install it. It's not extremely difficult. Search for macbook lcd panel.