Fixed the black iPhone anodized dents?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xmarcuswildx, Oct 11, 2012.

1. xmarcuswildx macrumors 6502

So has anyone found a perfect fix the dents and dings in your iPhone. I dropped my naked black iPhone today :(. I covered up with the silver with sharpie for now but it's starting to rub off. Do they have replacement parts for JUST the antenna bands yet... Or is there any wax/touch up car paint to match the slate/gunmetal color. It's annoying me :(.

2. VandyChem2009 macrumors 6502a

VandyChem2009

I feel like you should really evaluate what you value in life. The only thing on your phone that should matter to you is the screen. If that is flawless move on and enjoy the phone.

3. mjpearce023 macrumors 6502

I've already got a thread going on the topic here.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1464248

I ordered the Birchwood pen and I might give it a try. I'm still waiting to see if I can find a perfect one out of the box. One idea is to clean the area first with alcohol and then apply the paint/marker and it may stick better.

4. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

sounds like you might need to take your own advice... if you can only make an judgmental comment like that.

5. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

The iPhone 5 body is made from one piece of aluminum. You can't replace it without exchanging the phone. My advice is to put it in a case now and cover up the dents and protect if from future dents. Otterbox and Speck make nice cases.

6. VandyChem2009, Oct 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2012

VandyChem2009 macrumors 6502a

VandyChem2009

If you want something constructive the only thing that I can tell you is to put a case around it to cover up the imperfections from the fall. The other thing is, if you got applecare+ you can just pay $50 and get a new iPhone 5. I'd probably suggest going this route soon because it is only a matter of time before the replacements end up being all the iPhones people returned from the "scuff gate" scandal.

7. xmarcuswildx thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for being civilized. I think it's too late for me too purchase AppleCare after already having dropped the phone correct?

8. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

Antenna bands? I thought the sides and back were one piece?

9. pure3d2 macrumors 6502

You can try one of those bluing pens that people use for guns.

10. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

11. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I heard those pens apply a black color and not "slate" and also rub off very easily. But would like to hear about your results.

12. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

13. Joey51 macrumors newbie

Apple qc sucks

PREVIOUSLY POSTED:
    "I feel like you should really evaluate what you value in life. The only thing on your phone that should matter to you is the screen. If that is flawless move on and enjoy the phone."

I really think you should evaluate your life as you seem to bend over for anyone,
    Mainly apple.

Yours is the typical fanboy response that apple can do no wrong and apple is right and the rest of us that demand a quality product when we pay 800 bucks.

It is hard for me to believe that apple did not for see this problem with the finish,and now you see hoe it holds up in the real world.

Most people demand a quality product for there good money paid.

Sort of reminds me of my 1980 gm car that the paint was peeling off on the first
    Year and i am afraid that apple with there recent blunders,antennagate,screengate ,etc is taking them down that road.

Pretty bad when foxconn tells people do not buy the first wave of product,buy later(recent article posted here)

So your standards and lifestyle may need evaluation sir

14. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

It's not Apple's fault he dropped his phone. He caused the damage. Not apple. Most folks are using cases. Is an easy solution. If you want to carry the phone 'naked'. Be carefull. Don't put it in pockets with keys and coins. Don't slide it around a surface that might be dirty or 'rough'. And DON'T DROP IT!

Where do the holier than thou attitude come from?

This entire 'scuff gate' thing cracks me up. It's such a non-issue. I've got a dozen friends and family members...including myself that have bought the phone. Various colors and storage sizes....NOT a single one with a scuff out of the box, none have damaged theirs. My seven year old plays with my slate model and my wife's white one. Other than a few boogers I've got to wipe from the glass after his sessions...no other damage. And he's not cognizant of the implications of 'scuffing' anodized aluminum.

I'm blown away by these comments. Seem segregated to these 'enthusiast' forums and further emflamed by new posters/members of said forums

I'm an Android owner as well. GSIII and GNote. I love them...but these little comments that pop up...and Samsung's crappy, over played ad on TV for over a month really makes me wonder about some 'plants' by Samsung to stir the pot so to speak.

Call me a conspiracist. But it's really ridiculous. The iPhone 5 is such an incredible piece of engineering and its sad that so many 9-5'ers around these parts can dream up so many little 'gates' and constantly complain.

The iPhone 5 is a marvel. Faster than many folks' home computers with the LTE and SSD/NAND storage...the processor, the apps to support damn near any function you could need or want from a personal computer...Android, the same. Gettin better with every iteration.

A true 'geek' appreciates BOTH platforms. A real nerd appreciates the uni body construction, incredible/accurate screen, amazing LTE and wifi connectivity, and zero loss...in fact, objective measured tests of better battery life when all is said and done.

This is quality my friend. Don't get bit by the Internet BS. There's going to be failures when shipping electronics in these quantities with these tolerances. But Apple is supportive. If you get a bad unit, simply exchange it. They'll make it right. When it comes to customer service, no one can compete

When you get your phone....realize it's a delicate piece of engineering. It can tolerate some abuse...but it's not meant to be dropped. Your aluminum car isn't meant to have grocery carts banged into it either...nor is it meant to me scratched by a set of keys or coins. Buy a case of you're gonna be using your phone the way most of us do.

Sorry. Trying to be a realist. This isn't a conspiracy. It's fine and extreme engineering that NO one on this board (to my knowledge) is innovating. When you come up with better designs and ideas...the world is your oyster...and it'll be your turn to make a few hundred billion dollars

J

15. VandyChem2009 macrumors 6502a

VandyChem2009

What on earth are you talking about? The OP messed up his own phone. It wasn't Apple's fault. He said he dropped it. His own fault. Not Apple's his. If you phone comes f'ed up out of the box that is another story but in this case the fall was his own fault so he should move on.

16. mjpearce023 macrumors 6502

So because you didn't experience it then it is a non issue? I love the iPhone 5 and have not had anything bad to say about it other than I don’t want a brand new phone to look used when I buy it. I am disappointed that my brand new phone came with 2 very noticeable scuffs out of the box. I am disappointed that I got a replacement sent from Apple care that had even more scuffs and a sim card they that was nowhere near the color of the rest of the phone. Still I really like my iPhone 5 and plan to get a perfect one at some point. I just don't know why my 3G, 3GS, 4 and 4S all looked perfect out of the box and the two iPhone 5s I have received both looked used out of the box. I still like Apple and I will probably get the new iPad next year and probably the new iPhone as well but I'm not going to give them a pass for selling me a used iPhone 5 for 400 plus tax. I will exchange it until I get one that is perfect. But maybe we are all just making it up and all the photos of brand new iPhones with scuffs are photoshopped and we just want to hurt Apple's image. That makes more sense because you didn't receive one of the scuffed phones so everyone else is just lying.

17. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5