FL Deputy Threatens to Shoot Concealed Carry Licensee

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Jan 17, 2013.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

hehehe.

That's all I got.

I will add something.

All three people are friggin idiots.

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

4. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Florida is not a "must notify" state.

What would you like to discuss? Similar stops happen multiple times per day, all over the United States, many stops have opposite results.

The driver should have stayed in his vehicle, his mistake.

The officer has a temper problem. Cops like him have been disciplined and fired for the same.

5. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

6. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

The peasant was outta line. He will have to go before the king.

Off with his head. :rolleyes:

The only idiot there was the cop.

7. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

The guy had that one coming. You should never get out of your vehicle unless the police officer instructs you to.

Sure there may have been some overreaction, but when you work a job that puts you in the sights of criminals (literally) you never can be too careful.

And I say that as a pro-CCW person.

I have to think this could have been avoided if the guy would have given the officer warning that he was carrying a legal firearm. The fight or flight response if for real folks!

8. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

You don't think the guy carrying the gun strapped to his side while driving with an expired license tab isn't a dumb thing to do in Florida ?

That's an invitation to something just like this.

Had he had the gun in the glove compartment where it should have been and the tab up to date I would agree with you.

But he didn't. Remember this is Florida.

9. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

After some searching around. This took place in 2009, the States Attorney for the County did not press charges against the driver.

10. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

What happened to the cop ? He did threaten to shoot him in the back.

11. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Why does it have to be in the glove box, he has a CWP. His mistake was getting out of the vehicle.

----------

Nothing to be found. It is very possible that a civil case was filed, or will be filed.

12. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I didn't say he "had" to have it in the glovebox.

Can you give me a valid reason why he felt that he had to have it strapped to his side while driving ?

13. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

That is the normal carry for concealed carry. Some prefer to keep their handgun holstered and some choose the console, or glove box. It is a personal preference.

Can you give me a valid reason why he shouldn't have it strapped to his side?

14. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

The driver should not have stepped out of the vehicle in the first place.

Also, he should have mentioned that he had a firearm on his person. Florida might not be a "must notify" state but something telling a cop that has just pulled you over is just courtesy and will likely go a long way in having the cop trust you.

Ohio is a "must notify" plus the cop can run the license plate and find out if the owner the vehicle is registered to has a CCW permit. The person driving might not be the CCW holder but it gives the cop a heads up that any person(s) in the vehicle might have a CCW permit.

The cop did over react. While Florida is not an open carry state the cop trying to arrest him for open carry is just stupid. It was invisible to the cop until the driver turned around to grab some papers the cop asked for.

15. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

The officer also should have asked the driver to get back into his vehicle IMO.

He could have told the officer he had a gun/CCW. However he was not required to so the driver was in the right in this regard. If I had a CCW (I don't even own a gun) I would tell an officer for my own safety, but that's just me. My state doesn't require you to notify officers either.

16. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

Frankly, if you have a conceal carry and are allowed to have it loaded on your person while in a vehicle you would be stupid not to. If it is comfortable enough to wear while you drive great.

I would much rather have my firearm on my person while driving then in a glove box, etc.

17. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

the driver made multiple mistakes.
    First off was yes getting out the vehicle. Mistake number 2 was not telling the cop right off the bat that has a permit and he has a gun on them. After that the next general thing to do is ask if you may remove the gun from your person and set it aside. Pretty much tell the cop everything and move slowly.
    I can promise you that is the last time the guy does not tell a cop he has a weapon on him.

I am a fan of the you must tell the cop or lose your permit. Plan and simple.

18. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

Only once the cop found out the driver had his conceal carry and the firearm was registered.

Agreed, ohio is a "must notify" but telling any cop in any state is just smart IMO.

19. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

What's the logic behind not requiring a CCW to inform a cop he/she is carrying when pulled over?

20. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Again, it depends on the officer and state. Not all states link a concealed permit to DMV information, and some of the ones that do are voluntary.

At the time of the arrest, Florida CWP required a handgun to be concealed, they changed the law in 2011, so inadvertent display is okay unless the permit holder is displaying anger or aggression.

I am pretty sure Florida is pretty strict on a firearm "printing."

----------

State law and logic are not the same.

21. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Why then? I'm not an officer nor to I pretend to have any training, but the officer did not look in control of this traffic stop until he noticed the gun. I was very surprised the officer let the driver get out of his car and even moreso turn away from the officer and reach back into the car. Every episode of Cops/Wildest Police Chases/etc (yeah this is what I'm basing my knowledge on) shows that both of these things are asking for trouble. The driver should not have gotten out of the car. The officer also should have been more in control of the situation.

22. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

Honestly not sure, and that is coming from a CCW holder.

****, I inform any officer even when I am not carrying and even if I am not the driver. It just seems like the smartest thing to do.

23. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Let the officer disarm you.
    If state law requires it, I agree.

24. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

or that. Let them make the call in the end.

25. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

I guess i should clarify that the choice should be left up to the officer. If the officer felt comfortable after finding out the CCW info then he could have let the driver back in the vehicle. Once out the vehicle though most will not let the person back in until everything is taken care of.

Yup, if the officer so chooses.