Flake Not Seeking Re-election

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
GOP Jr. Arizona Senator Flake, who has been very outspoken against Trump, will not seek re-election. Is the GOP falling apart?

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
It’s consolidating behind Trumplethinskin. Any dissent is verboten, because they’ll be primaried.

I’m not at all a fan of Flake nor Corker, but I can sympathize to a degree.

The problem is that they both actively participated with the strategies and worldviews that Trump epitomizes, but he went a step (okay, two) farther, and they all of a sudden clutched their pearls.

noisycats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2010
The 'ham. Alabama.
GOP Jr. Arizona Senator Flake, who has been very outspoken against Trump, will not seek re-election. Is the GOP falling apart?
I wish those GOPers most opposed to trump would stay in (though their re-election could prove difficult with the Bannon machine gunning at them).

I fear all that will be left in the GOP are trump sycophants.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2011
New England
This is certainly a shake-up, and sets up the test for 2018: What will Reagan-esque Republicans do?

Will they:
1. stay home and not vote?
2. vote for a third-party candidate, even if there is a ~0 chance of that candidate winning?
3. vote for the extremist-Right candidates taking over their party?
4. vote for the the Democratic candidate?​

It's important to remember that while the extremist-Right candidates have been getting a lot of media attention, in most areas, the traditional/Reagan Republicans outnumber the extremists quite a bit.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Well this will help the Democrats take over the Senate.
Will they:
1. stay home and not vote?
2. vote for a third-party candidate, even if there is a ~0 chance of that candidate winning?
3. vote for the extremist-Right candidates taking over their party?
4. vote for the the Democratic candidate?
I think most will stay home and not vote, unless the anti-trump Republicans get their act together and form a new party instead of just surrendering in their party's civil war.

Reactions: OttawaGuy

VulchR

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
On the one hand I relish that the GOP is paying the price for dancing with the devil, but I do wonder if the party will become even more batsh*t crazy, extremist, and right-wing. If so, then that is not a good sign, for parties don't just align themselves with voter opinion, they shape opinion as well. Perhaps the sane people in the GOP should split off from the party and approach the Democrats to create a unity ticket for the next Presidential election. I would imagine that if Kasich, Sanders, and somebody not tainted by Clinton from the mainstream Democrats pulled together there'd be little chance of Trump getting re-elected.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2011
New England

I think most will stay home and not vote, unless the anti-trump Republicans get their act together and form a new party instead of just surrendering in their party's civil war.
I hope so. Obviously these things are hard to model, especially so far in advance and with no real candidates. But some back-of-the-napkin calculations do show Democrats having the potential to do quite well in these circumstances.

Reactions: hulugu

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
He's been doing that all day.
No - not Flake... he was doing that about Corker. Flake is totally next.
[doublepost=1508876687][/doublepost]
This is pretty rich coming from Sarah Huckabee Sanders...

Asked by @AndrewBeatty what about Flake's speech was "petty," @PressSec says his "attacks" were not “befitting of the Senate floor.”
It's like the are completely tone dead when it comes from their boss. Or that it's somehow excusable because he's just fighting back.

Meanwhile...

22688327_10155848833724747_2555171520322142445_n.jpg

jpietrzak8

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
This certainly makes it harder for McConnell to reach 50 votes. We've now got Flake and Corker immune to threats of being primaried, and McCain fighting a life-threatening disease. The usual carrots and sticks are not going to work on these Senators.

What is more, Trump will now see the true results of his own diplomacy. He's done everything he could possibly do to make enemies out of these three men, secure in the knowledge that his base of voters was backing him up. The denunciations of Trump are likely to start growing stronger now...

EDIT: BTW, just what the heck happened during this luncheon with Trump, that Senators start resigning right after? I'd love to read a transcript of what was said in that meeting!

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Well for a start here’s the 2024 base map. Yeah I’m probably a bit bias. But this is the direction the demographics go.
CC16B639-A975-4683-9E03-D896EE9C0DF2.png

The other issue is that Trump is virtually impossible to coherently defend. His popularity is only as high as it is because too many Americans don’t pay attention.

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
It is and has been for quite some time.
Their civil war will ultimately destroy them and most seem too blind to see that. I'd say good riddance but I prefer stability. This leads us to some very scary unstable places. Buckle up buckaroos. This is only the beginning.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
**** Flake. Corker too. It takes balls to do what they did without having said they're not running for re--election. Last I looked, they both voted to throw millions off healthcare a few weeks ago. Both will probably vote to weaken consumer protections from the CFPB.

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
The votes going forward will be interesting. There are a number of Senators who the threats of primaries no longer apply. Trump has done nothing to reach out to these people and in fact has gone out of his way to be nasty to them. Thus they have very little motivation for doing anything he wants.

Good luck on that whole Trump agenda!

Reactions: jpietrzak8

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Here's Flake's speech. In it he eviscerates Trump and the republicans who follow him. Too bad he didn't give this speech during the election.

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/356932-transcript-flake-announces-retirement-from-senate-floor
I’m glad to see him grow a backbone, but I don’t respect him too much for sticking with Trump until the polls showed he was going to lose anyway. If he’s worried about the Republican primary he should have dropped out of that and run as an independent or a new third party instead of just dropping out completely.

Reactions: Huntn

Herdfan

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2011
I fear all that will be left in the GOP are trump sycophants.
So which would you rather have? A Trump sycophant that is not an adherent to a single ideology and is willing to compromise, or someone who is so partisan to the ideology of the right?

Reactions: hulugu

jpietrzak8

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Too bad he didn't give this speech during the election.
Meh. There were plenty of vicious never-Trump speeches before the election, and the American people ignored all of them. They'll ignore Flake's speech too.

It'll take more than someone speaking the truth to wake America up, I'm afraid. It'll require something that touches citizens' lives to make them understand the kind of leader Trump really is...

Reactions: Huntn and Ntombi