Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

L T

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2013
UK
What if we have to do a restore from back up, will we still be able to play it?

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
We're not sure what exactly he means by "peace". Maybe it's the media attention and fame (of his app or of himself), he's probably someone who enjoys developing games in his spare time and did not intend for it to be a commercial venture of that magnitude. Nguyen's probably a person who likes to live life peacefully and not draw attention to himself.

Whatever his reason, I don't think he should get hate from people - it's his app and his life. He has no duty to maintain and keep this app running and no one should really be affected by the removal of the app, they've got to be absolutely crazy if they're feeling suicidal following this news. :D He probably didn't intend the 'life' he is now seeing after Flappy Birds and he has chosen to divert from the road he can see himself heading before it's too late. We ought to respect his choice and the way he chooses to lead his life.

Let's face it, the success of Flappy Birds is a fluke owing to the hype and exponential downloads over the last 1-2 months, an enjoyable an addictive game nonetheless.

If this is a publicity stunt, then my respect for this guy has been lost. :D Either way, we don't know the whole story until he releases a more clearer explanation.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Everyone has all the answers for others, but are usually devoid of those answers for themselves. Based on some of the responses I see hear, I don't blame him.

You're hearing responses? Don't worry - you're not alone. This developer probably heard voices telling him to do this, too.

snorkelman

Cancelled
Oct 25, 2010
50k a day in a country where the average income is 180 dollars a month. Wouldn't take too many days to set you up for life.

After that why bother?

Whatever the reason its his decision to take. If he's content with the cash he's already pulled in then good luck to him.

Manzzle

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
Apparently some developers are nothing but WEAK.

He says it's not a legal issue, then change your number and stop answering emails if you feel pressured.

Everyone who has the game should stop playing it ASAP, don't give WEAK people like this dude any more money!

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA

He says it's not a legal issue, then change your number and stop answering emails if you feel pressured.

Everyone who has the game should stop playing it ASAP, don't give WEAK people like this dude any more money!

Funny how some people see his decision as weak while others can see it as a sign of strength.

To each their own. Judge away.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014

Refusing to support your work is unethical in the eyes of some developers, as it should be. Lack of support would likely draw the same train of thought that appears in your post.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 100

sclawis300

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
This developer used cheats to get to the top!!! That's why he pulled the app before apple would ban his account permanently. That is why he didn't want the attention!

I've been saying it since day 2 and no one is listening. The second day the app went live the developer had 4,800,000 written reviews! That's more than angry birds! What is more is that each review was the same but worded differently. 666 this game is the devil said one review. This game is evil incarnated said another. And so on. All reviews were 5 stars! Even if the review was bad 5 stars!?

Secondly there was social media. I have media accounts which we use for advertising and interacting with our users. I know when a social media account is fake because we get requests from fake ones all the time. What struck me about flappy bird is that in one day suddenly flappy bird was being posted on FAKE accounts. On the fake accounts people posted using similar language to what reviews of the game said! To cheat the system, one can buy access to hundreds of fake accounts and in one shot have their app spread across all those accounts with the click of a finger.

I am glad to see this game gone but disappointed it wasn't apples decision. While the game was an exact copy of a game that already existed in the store which is also illegal, this person used cheats to make his big. Note that the original game in the store was nowhere near as popular as this because the original creator did not use deceptive practices to spread the app.

This app was an insult to developers who work hard to make quality games for the App Store. I myself created balloon loons over period of 1 year and spent thousands in marketing. It is the right and ethical way of doing things. Then comes along a cheat who is a slap in the face to us true indie developers who makes you say.....%@$#!

To avoid being discovered he pulled it down. To avoid legal action from the original creator he took it down.

Please stop praising a developer who cheated the system as well as a game that is simply bad and was allowed to be bad because the developer had no intention of making a good game but rather an app that was intended to cheat the system.

----------

One thing I forgot to add is that day 2 he had 4mill plus reviews. Day 3 they were down to 500k reviews. Meaning apple had removed a majority of the fake reviews.

This reeks of jealousy.

bsolar

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2011
I didn't judge his choice. I've said I (obviously) don't know the details, but I feel there is more to the story. Your above statement is WAY more judgmental than mine (might not care about family or charity AND you think his story is fishy).
What I wanted to address is the idea that "there is too much good that could be done with the money" -> he must be hiding something. What I meant in my reply is that he might have completely different priorities than you, which means a completely different opinion about the good which money could bring. What I proposed was simply one possible explanation of someone not considering that much money something good. There are other possible explanation, e.g. he might care a lot about friends and family but not believe that more money would make them happy. I made one simple counter-example to show you that your point of view could be based on a false premise.

HERE'S A possible SOLUTION: Couldn't he have removed the ads and left the app up?

Okay, maybe it's not a solution, but it was certainly an option. Solves most of the problems that we know about...
If you remove ads you do nothing to address the issues he was complaining about. In his explanation money is not an issue, unwanted fame and attention are.

wakinghour

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2012
No, the above poster might be right. I read reviews this morning and it's littered with 5 paragraph reviews all with weird themes about obsession, devil worship, and other blah. The odds of having all that fill up so many pages is very low, unless it's some prank pulled.

He bought those reviews, I'm guessing.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
How DARE someone indicate that life be about more than a get-rich-quick schemes. What an appalling display of humanity.

I am disgusted to the shallow depth of my money-grubbing consumerist whore ethics.

Clearly someone failed to teach him The American Way.

TallGuyGT

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2011
NYC
The game just updated to the latest version on my iPad, even after it had been pulled from the App Store. The game is still serving ads, wonder who gets the income from them.

evansls

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2004
Leesburg, VA
It could have been the next....

Just imagine, if he didn't pull it down -- if he sold out, there could have been 10 different versions of the game like 'flappy bird in space' or 'flappy bird seasons'. Reminds me of another popular bird game that went viral in 2009.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.