Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

craigdawg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2004
Sactown
Would Apple switch from the Microdrive if suitable flash RAM was available, i.e., larger than 4GB and comparable to the Microdrive in price?

I saw that Kanguru is now offering a 4GB USB 2.0 flash drive. Except it retails for ONE THOUSAND SIX HUNDRED NINETY-NINE DOLLARS AND NINETY-NINE CENTS ($1699.99)!!! :eek:

Assuming the price will drop over time a solid-state iPod Mini would be nice.

Any thoughts?

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
I'm sure they would. There is nothing inherently special about the hard drive to the iPod. The reson they used it was so they could have the larger capacities than the flash drives of the day. If a flash drive was available at the same price or maybe only slightly more they would switch. The added reliablility alone would make it worthwhile.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
i do wonder which way apple will go...

if the 4 GB flash is now $1700, it's gonna be a while before it comes down in price. by then, microdrive may be cheaper and more capable. if microdrive could be made more than 4 GB, i'm sure apple will opt for those, instead of waiting to go flash and keeping the same capacity.

increased capacity would be more of a priority than waiting to be able to switch to flash...?

i do wonder if apple plans on replacing the regular iPod line with Minis as 1.8 and 1" HDs come down in price and improve in capacity...

gonna be a while, i know, but i'm wondering which direction apple will decide to go...

3rdKidney

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2004
Gaithersburg, MD
If their current thinking remains the same...

\increased capacity would be more of a priority than waiting to be able to switch to flash...?

Given their current mind set, it's proven that capacity isn't their most important priority. Sure it plays into their whole argument of why the mini is better than their competitor's mp3 player, but overall price seems to be the ticket. If the mini were $200 instead of $250, no one could criticize it's costs vs memory value (as compared to the $300 iPod), and they'd triple their sales (again).

Personally, I think they'd switch to flash storage if the price was right. This would eliminate another issue with hard drive based units, skipping. An all solid state iPod would NEVER skip and Apple would love to say this.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
How much is a 2GB flash drive from that company? I'd love to buy an Apple mp3 flash player, as long as it was clearly the best. Otherwise, I'd just go for one of those 1 GB iRiver models that look so dang sweet! Only problem is the $399 price tag of those players. In around 10 months, the 1 GB flash player will be $279, because the 512MB players were $399 approx 10 months ago, and are now $279. I've followed iRiver's pricing for some time now, and that's just the way they price things.

Its only a matter of time before the flash drives become a serious threat to HD based players. I don't own an iPod, and an iRiver flash player is what I'm aiming for. If Apple brought out a flash player, I'd definitely consider it, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.