Flash mob surprises food court shoppers with choral music

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Thomas Veil, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

2. wpotere Guest

3. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

4. Kyffin macrumors 6502

Not a great deal of respect for people there really; bunch of anons from the net meeting up to buzz off the confused reaction from 'society'. Unfortunately 'society' is the individuals who are by nature the point of/outside the jape and who didn't choose to be part of these scenes.

A UK bank is running an advert at the moment where a flash mob runs into a rail terminal and sings in the faces of the commuters- and I mean right in the faces: one guy even repositions himself to carry on at a punter whose turned away- arms outstretched to envelop the poor guy as well. Playing a dangerous game with peoples reactions there...

5. nobunaga209 macrumors 6502a

nobunaga209

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Buzz kill much? :D

7. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

To be honest, I'd be quite irritated if a mob chose to flash in my vicinity.

Just saying, like.

8. Kyffin, Nov 28, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2010

Kyffin macrumors 6502

9. Kyffin, Nov 28, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2010

Kyffin macrumors 6502

Now that would be an event!

Attached Files:

10. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Absolutely beautiful. I loved seeing the people who didn't know what was happening but just joined in anyway. Took their attention away from technology and the hustle and bustle of every day life for a few moments. I'll admit the crying person towards the end made me shed a tear.

Powerful stuff. Makes me excited for Christmas Church service actually! :)

11. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

When I first saw this video on YouTube, I assumed it was some American mall - didn't realize it took place in a mall here in Ontario! (On a second viewing, I saw the OLC Lotto signs, which gave it away.)

I think we're getting so used to seeing these sorts of things nowadays that we're no longer really surprised, which defeats the purpose. If I was in a food court and people were randomly singing, I would simply have assumed they were some form of street performers. Just like if you walk past a busker on the street you don't think "Gee whiz, that random ordinary man just started juggling chainsaws!" Especially since, by the sounds of the audio, some of them must have been wearing mics.

Also, judging by the waving hands at the end, probably about half of the people in the food court WERE the performers, so that reduces the surprise impact a bit.

I heard they'd been practicing the song for several months before they performed it. Whew!

12. Tucker34 macrumors newbie

Tucker34

For some reason that video totally got me into a christmassy mood :D

13. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I like how the girl who starts the thing keeps the cell phone to her head for the entire video. At the beginning it's obviously to look inconspicuous, but when she keeps it there you have to wonder if she's listening to a lookout who's keeping an eye out for the cops. :D

I kid. This was obviously intricately arranged, including the keyboardist (who's supposed to look like just some seasonal live performer), the mics they placed to pick up the sound, and the multiple cameras.

BTW, the girl at 2:48 is cute beyond belief. She's got a smile that would light up New York! :)

14. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

We Canadians are a good-looking bunch.