Flash playback causing heat spike on MBP, but not on much older iMac?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ride9650, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Ride9650 macrumors 6502

I've run into a bit of a weird issue, curious to see if anyone else has experienced this.

When playing back flash content, on my 17 in 2009 MBP, I'll see temps of around 70-75 Celsius, whereas, on the family imac(which is much older by the way, back when plastic was still being used instead of aluminum), temps will stay cool, usually around 50-55 Celsius.

I've determined that using Chrome is partly responsible, but there's still a significant difference even when Flash is used in another browser. Strangely enough, running Flash, no matter the browser, is fine on the Imac.

Any ideas?:confused: To be fair, I haven't been using the MPB as much since I've spent a lot of time at home over the past few months(the imac has a bigger screen), so maybe its just dust? I'm almost certain that this wasn't happening before when I first got the MBP.

They're both setup the same with all the latest updates applied to both the OS and Flash Player.

2. ljx718 macrumors 6502

i dont know if youre brave enough, but i would just take off the bottom case and get an air can in there. those fans get pretty dirty. ive also changed out the thermal paste, but thats not for the faint of heart. also, the imac is an lot bigger and components have more "room to breathe"

3. Ride9650 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea, I am, swapped out the hard drive already...unfortunately, its kinda hot where I am at the moment and given that, I'm a little scared something will go wrong... definitely gonna have a look once it cools down.

I suppose you're right about the imac having more air circulation...but its just the darnest thing, I coulda swore that the MBP was fine just a few months ago.

thanks!