Flashing pixels on Macbook pro

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JorickF, Sep 6, 2009.

1. JorickF macrumors newbie

Hello,

I've had my Macbook pro for a few months now and I'm really happy about it. Today I noticed that some pixels seem to be flashing on and off. I don't think it was like that before, I really would've noticed.

The pixels don't really seem 'dead', they're just flashing on and off. It's not all over the screen but in a few places, and it's not that visible but when you know it's there, it gets annoying. Well, it just shouldn't be there.

Any idea what might've caused it? Is there an easy way to fix it? I'm from Belgium so we don't have a genius in an apple store, it has to be sent to an other country for fixing so I'd prefer not doing that.

Thanks in advance,
    -Jorick

2. JorickF thread starter macrumors newbie

Update: more pixels seem to flash when I plug in the power chord. Hmm. It did start happening ever since I moved in to this new place. It's really odd, I don't see how this could cause it though. Might be just my imagination.

Update 2: When I put the mac in sleep mode, and then back out of sleep mode (right after the screen isn't black anymore), there's a LOT of pixels flashing, to the point you can't miss it. After about 3 seconds that suddenly stops and some occasionally flash. You can also see the 'heavy' flashing when you just turn the macbook up, before the apple logo appears. This all makes me think it might not even be a hardware issue?

3. Europe calling macrumors regular

Europe calling

If you still have warranty (if you bought it new you should) i would take it back to your dealer. It might be a graphics card issue. Does it have the GeForce 8600 M GT? It is known to have issues and apple has extended the warranty to three years.

4. JorickF thread starter macrumors newbie

I think it has the 9400M. And it's really bad now, all blacks have turned into green flashing pixels now. So yeah, does look like a graphics card issue. It's so strange though, it has worked fine for like 6 months.

5. JorickF thread starter macrumors newbie

Wanted to go to the store today, but it's not doing it now... This is strange. Let's see how long it stays cool. I'll keep this thread updated so you can inform people with similar problems in the future.