Flat out scary event with iPhone 4!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tikatika, Aug 29, 2013.

1. watchthisspace, Aug 29, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2013

watchthisspace macrumors 6502a

Haha that's not a repair. He would be getting a new phone! Bashing the rep because he can't do anything more than offer a replacement is not nice either.

So what? Just because he's loyal doesn't mean he deserves special treatment.

Again, he doesn't deserve a more recent phone, even under this circumstance.

Here's a question, was he using a genuine Apple charger?

What happened is really bad, yes, but his expectation from Apple is just a bit too much and who is to say there is more to the story than he is telling?

EDIT: The more I think about it, I would expect Apple would have a say or be able to provide assistance as to what to do about the smoke and if any inhalation would need medical attention.

2. ajt1995 macrumors 6502

Why would he want a newer phone? He had an iPhone 4. And if he got a 4s/5 many apple customers would whine because they're "entitled" to a newer phone because of a "potential risk"... I know of a TON of people who have iPhone 4's and none have caught fire, sir, it's a freak accident, just take another iPhone 4.

3. midwestfisherma macrumors 6502

midwestfisherma

I think Apple is lucky they don't have a lawsuit on their hands on this one. I'm not sure how I feel about what phone he should be given as a replacement. I can see pros and cons both ways.

4. stormchaser macrumors 6502

stormchaser

5. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

6. SR71 macrumors 68000

So, let me get this straight... he says that he thinks the cause of the iPhone 4 catching fire was because of it's lithium-ion battery, yet when they offer him a NEW iPhone 4, he declines because he thinks that one might also catch on fire, but instead asks for an iPhone 4S or 5 when they also use a lithium-ion battery... because that makes sense. Honestly, these stories just piss me off. This guy acts like he's entitled to a free iPhone 4S or 5 just because he's been a longtime Apple customer.

Lithium-ion batteries are known to possibly catch fire/explode under rare circumstances. This isn't an issue with Apple, it's an issue with ALL lithium-ion batteries. The fact of the matter is that there is no better battery technology out there right now. EVERY mobile device manufacturer uses lithium-ion batteries to power their devices. The one thing I do agree on, however, is that they should've told him whether the smoke was toxic, but in Apple's defense, if he's fine now, chances are it wasn't toxic. Also, a quick google search could answer his question whether it was toxic or not.

7. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

To be honest they could offer him an iPhone 5 or a free new iPhone at the next launch as a gesture of good will. Its quite clear this incident really shouldn't have happened and Apple could reach out a little here IMO.