Flexible/Rounded Screen, Wireless Charging?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by John55455, Apr 11, 2013.

1. John55455 macrumors member

A lot of blogs say that they want the next iPhone to have a flexible/rounded screen and wireless charging.

I'm not sure I understand this. Why would someone want a flexible or rounded screen? Wouldn't it be harder to see because of the angle? And as for the flexible screen, if I was holding my phone hard and it just bent...? Like I don't understand how a flexible/rounded screen is an improvement over a flat screen.

And what's the point of wireless charging. You still have to plug the cord into the wall and then place your phone and place your phone on the charging station. How is that an improvement over just plugging the cord into your phone? Sometimes I'll just plug my iPhone into the wall and throw it on my suitcase or a pile of clothes. If it was wireless charging wouldn't it fall off the pad? Plus, wireless charging is less efficient then normal charging. What's the benefit of wireless charging over traditional charging? I really hope no one says it's more convenient - that extra second to plug it into the phone.

----

So what's the benefit of these two features. In my opinion they're non-featuring and offer no significant improvements.

They're just gimmicks.

2. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

I have absolutely no idea why you would want those on a phone.

Especially wireless charging.

It's slow.

Makes the phone heavier.

Makes the phone thicker.

Still have to have the phone on a pad that is attached to the wall.

For me personally I have absolutely zero desire for wireless charging as it stands today.

3. Mrbobb macrumors 601

U sound like my boss. :)

Me: U pilling more work!

Boss: But it only takes a second!

Me: A second here, a second there... I want more money!

The point is moot, Apple is simply not going to make it thicker.

4. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Those of us who had wireless charging on the Palm Pre know how luxurious it was to just set our phone on the Touchstone charger. Loved it. And no, it didn't add much weight or thickness.

As for flexible screens... let's see if this animated GIF I made of a Samsung flexible concept phone works..

flexible.gif

5. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

In the immediate future, I think flexible screens will just translate to durability. Don't think of it as a piece of paper that you fold into your back pocket. Think of it as te screen is able to withstand much more flex than traditional screen when dropped, stepped on, etc.

As far as the wireless charging, it is a convenience. While it is slower, if say that it loses only around 20% of that speed. For someone who works at a desk, for example, setting the phone down and picking it up is a matter of convenience. Also, I would venture to guess that most people charge their phones overnight. The reality is that these phones spend more than enough time on the charger regardless of the method of charging. Do we NEED the feature? No. But as I said, it's a convenience thing. Look at apples lightning cable; it can be plugged in either way, and they are pretty proud of that. What good does plugging the thing in either way do you? Very little. But it is a slight convenience that some appreciate.

6. Mrbobb macrumors 601

They had to find a spin for that one, to counter the expected onslaught of complaints for having to rid of existing accessories.

7. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Eh. It is what it is. I will say its more convenient than not. Fact is, when speaking wireless charging, you can either use it or not. It adds a negligible (literally almost none) amount f weight and thickness to a phone, so for someone who doesn't care for it, keep on plugging them in.