Flight diverted after family raises concerns over PG-13 inflight movie

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by SilentPanda, Apr 6, 2013.

1. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/story/2...ily-raises-concerns-over-pg-13-inflight-movie

2. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

They should have just put on a different movie. Pathetic customer service by United. Divert the plane and then have security take the family off the plane because United was stupid and showed a violent movie when there were little kids on the plane?

Yet another incident to reaffirm my decision to (whenever possible) only fly on Southwest. United, American, US Airways are all complete garbage.

3. fox10078 macrumors 6502

fox10078

Talk about sheltered, Alex Cross isn't even that violent, I'd be more offended by how crap it is.

4. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Sheltered? The kid is 4.

5. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

The parents finally did the right thing by having the kids doing something else. Do I agree with the flight being diverted over this? Probably not since it doesn't sound like the parents were hysterical over it. Just calmly requested if anything can be done to prevent their kid from watching something they though was inappropriate.

The only thing I think United should do is give passengers a heads up what is being shown before the flight so parents can bring something to keep the kids entertained if they don't want them to watch the in flight entertainment.

6. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

The parents can't expect the plane to cater to them personally .There are a lot more people on the plane than them.

Perhaps they need to do better research before flying. I do think the pilot was being paranoid unless there is more to this story.

7. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

That would be my guess. I doubt that the pilot would have diverted the flight if it was all as sweetness and light as described in the quote.

And as on old curmudgeon, it's getting to be a real pain in the ass that the whole world has to be geared to the needs and sensitivities of 5 year olds. :(

8. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I don't think a four year old is going to be traumatized for life by a PG-13 movie.

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I don't blame the family for asking to change or shut off the movie. That said, they should have brought something for the kids to play on like an iPad, iPod touch, etc. And the pilot totally over-reacted by diverting the flight.

10. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

The parents' side of the story:

I would like the pilot's or another witness's side. But it does sound like an overreaction to divert.

11. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Just because there are multiple screens, doesn't mean they can be independently controlled.....

The decision to divert was obviously a huge overreaction, but I wonder how the flight attendants reported all this to the captain. Did they help blow the situation out of proportion?

12. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Or, once again, perhaps the interaction was not as benign as reported it the quote.

13. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Sounds like overreaction by everybody involved.

Snooty parents and jerks piloting the plane.

This is one reason I don't fly.

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I blame the parents.

Please correct me if I am mistaken, but in order to hear the movie, you need to put on headphones.

IMO, as long as ...

1. the children did not have headphones tuned into the movie's audio

2. the parents were putting in a reasonable effort towards diverting their attention (that can mean as little as handing them an iPhone or paper and a crayon.)​

... then the parents should not have made an issue over the movie.

Without sound, a movie is a series of passing images lacking context. Sound grounds those images into reality. An explosion without the "BOOM" is hardly an explosion at all.

The parents failed to realize that they had the power to fix this problem themselves. Instead, they involved the attendants, other passengers, and ultimately the flight crew over something that should never have become an issue.

Just divert you child's attention.

15. samiwas macrumors 65816

It does seem like the movie might be a little more than what is generally accepted as appropriate for general viewing (judging by the trailer...haven't seen the movie). However, given that the sounds was most likely not being piped through the plane, I doubt the kids would have even paid much attention to it, especially if they had ANY sort of entertainment themselves. I have seen parents bring a young child onto a long plane flight with literally nothing for them, so much so that the flight attendant attempted to bring empty cups or anything she could find that a three-year-old might be able to do something with. It might be that these parents did just that: got on the plane with no entertainment whatsoever for their children.

If they were indeed cordial and just asking if the movie could be turned off around them, then I see no problem. However, I can't imagine that the pilot actually diverted a plane flight due to someone simply requesting that a movie be turned off. Diverting a plane flight is no small ordeal. I have a feeling there is more to the story. If the pilot did indeed divert the flight solely based on a request to block a movie, then he went wayyyyy overboard.

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

You were probably typing this as I was posting my thoughts.

Great minds ...

17. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I read once that movies shown on airplanes are edited down even more then when they shown on tv. I wonder if this is stilly true and what exactly the horrific scenes the parents claimed to have seen were. Was it the horror of seeing a character that used to be played by Morgan freeman now being played by madea?

18. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I was on a United flight that had Two and a Half men on their in flight entertainment and it was heavily censored compared to the TV version.

19. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

And it wasn't like it was a R-18 movie, where they could still see glimpses of violence & sex. A movie might be rated R-13 simply because there were swear-words in it, which the kids wouldn't even be able to hear without the sound.

20. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

There is no "R-13" rating. It was PG-13.

Meaning parental guidance suggested.

Emphasize on "guidance". Guide your 4 year old to a coloring book and don't give the child headphones while the movie is playing then deal with it for a few hours.

21. malman89 macrumors 68000

This and this. If it was as written and I were the flight attendant, I would "go check" and just take a walk up front, waste a few minutes, come back, and tell the parents sorry. I don't know why someone would really bother the captain in this situation as written.

I'm just going to hold off on there being some more detail missing.

Either way, it's really a non story. Either stupid parents, stupid pilot, or a bit of both.

22. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I hope there is followup on this story. I would like to know the real reason why the pilot diverted and the family was forced to leave the flight.

I also don't see why they still bother to show movies in this format. Let people who want to watch a movie bring in a portable DVD player, rather than force everyone to see (if not hear) some inane PG-13 movie. I like to look out the window and study the terrain if possible, and, this annoys people who have to watch the dumb movie.

23. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Well according to the NRA, movies and video games are the reason we have more people shooting up places. :rolleyes:

24. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Yeah - I thought most long-haul flights had individual screens in the back of the seats, and there was a selection of movies, TV shows, documentaries, music etc that passengers could individually watch with headphones if they wanted.

25. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I bet the kids game console collection includes GTA IV, Deep Space 3, Batman Arkham city, etc: