Flint Water Bottles.... Really???

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Tinmania, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

First, it is a tragedy what happened in Flint. Horrible. My empathies are with the people who have and had to endure it.

But I saw about the 300th report of someone delivering 250,000+/- water bottles. Just now a CNN "on the ground" reporter said families are going through "hundreds of bottles of water per week."

To me that is sickening, and will result in only more pollution in the end. Why are they delivering water via MILLIONS of .5 liter plastic bottles? (And bragging about it!)

It's as if it looks better on camera than a water truck, or 5 gallon containers. I mean who cares what it took to make the plastic for all those bottles or where they will end up. It's a circus and contest about who can deliver, and get credit for, delivering the highest number of "bottles" of water. How about measuring it in gallons and not delivering it in the most inefficient format possible?

Mike

2. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

you raise a good point. Perhaps the smaller bottles are more easy to handle for people?

3. jerwin macrumors 65816

The limiting factor is not how much water can be donated, but how much of that water can be packaged up.

Anneheiser Bush donaates water in 12 oz cans because it can manufacture and fill 12 oz cans. manufacturing and filling 5 gallon bottles requires a different set of equipment.

On a long term basis, delivering water in specialized trucks is easier and more economical. But those trucks need to be ordered, built and delivered-- a process that takes more than a week or two. It's easier to program your breweries to water down the beer even more.

4. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Whichever brand selling the bottled water must be raking it in.

And, yes, the landfill waste IS an important issue as well. Unless we place no value on that and ship the waste to other countries? As is oil and gas usage for transport.

At some point it'd be cheaper to fix the infrastructure or maintain it, but after decades of tax cuts because everyone thought things would work like magic... *sigh*

5. FieldingMellish Suspended

Similar to the migrant mania that took place. And the Apple supporting pile-on. It's Social. Get with the program.

6. Tinmania thread starter macrumors 68040

Tinmania

They don't need to be built and they could already be there. The National Guard has them.

http://markmaynard.com/2016/01/whil...nt-help-but-wonder-where-that-money-is-going/

That article is over a month and a half old. Yet we are still sending water to Flint in .5 liter plastic bottles. Mind boggling to me.

Mike

7. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

The national guard has plenty of trucks and water blivets.

8. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Damn straight.

9. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

My very liberal town in the Boston metro area wanted to institute a ban on all bottled water and switch to boxed water instead. They decided to hold off until off, from what I'm told, until more public drinking fountains are installed.

image.jpeg
    It costs 1.5-2x more money per box than standard water.

I was in Galway, Ireland on vacation in 2007. They had some sort of pathogen in the water making people very sick. You could not drink the water unless it had been boiled (not nearly as bad as flint). At the grocery stores they gave away liter sized plastic water bottles.

Honestly I doubt the environmental impact of bottled water is of major concern. Getting the water in the first place is really the issue.

10. FieldingMellish Suspended

Environmental conundrum: Plastic in landfill, versus boxes utilizing trees.

11. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Trees are replanted. Continuously renewable. They aren't even comparable.

12. FieldingMellish Suspended

Then people should stop sending me emails with the message at the end that I should think twice before printing the email.

13. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

When I was in the Army we things we chalked "water buffaloes". Just one could supply drinking water, portable shower for over two weeks sure my company said showers are every three days but the water was cool in a tropical South Pacific environment. They would be perfect in neiborhoods in this case.

14. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Did you have to walk up hill both ways without boots to get to them old timer ;)

15. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Um you seem to assume a great many things child! This was during the Clinton Administratration during a month long jungle training exercise!

16. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Water buffalos have been replaced by big bags that can be transported by aircraft vs hmmwv. :p

17. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

They went down to the National Guard!

18. lowendlinux, Mar 7, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2016

lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

There actually still in active service too our MP company has a half dozen or so in the motor pool.

I was just giving you are hard time about your "When I was in the Army"
    --- Post Merged, Mar 7, 2016 ---

19. Tinmania thread starter macrumors 68040

Tinmania

If getting the water is a concern, why waste it bottling it? It takes nearly twice as much water to make the .5 liter plastic bottle than the water it holds (boxed water uses even more water). There are bottled water plants right in Michigan so it is not as if getting water to Flint is anything like getting water to Haiti in 2011. Yet, the Red Cross brought it in in trucks back then. In Flint they seem to be on the plastic water bottle bandwagon. .

Oh and that doesn't take into account the oil that is used to make the plastic bottles, nor the costs of disposal and recycling (which is far far less than 100%). So, yea, the environmental impact is actually big.

Mike