Flip Flopping between macOS and Windows

Silvestru Hosszu

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2016
Europe
No iPhones here (except my wife's phone which does not count :)). I tried at least 3 times to live with an iphone but it never worked out, I simply cannot live with iOS.
I was completely Mac-less for around a year, and a happy camper in windows land I may say.
To be honest, I am not able to offer, even to myself, any kind of remotely rational explanation for buying this MacBook.
I do have and use another 3 laptops not counting the Surface Go (one at home, one for office related tasks and one backup).
Plus, I have 2 desktop computers, a HEDT based on AMD Threadripper 2950 and nVidia GTX 1080TI (my IT friends are telling me that they know no other lunatic lawyer using stuff like that in the office) and at home I have the Surface Studio 2.
Maybe I should visit a good psychiatrist ...

Last edited:
Comment

BigMcGuire

Contributor
Jan 10, 2012
California
I find reading on Mac to be a lot more pleasant. Text rendering is just so nice. The apps have a refinement that you don't find elsewhere (some of them).

That said... getting work done? Windows. I got tired of running Parallels and built myself a $1300 AMD Ryzen 3600x screamer with 64GB of ram and 4TB of super fast SSD storage. Yeah, talk about getting work done. Editing massive Excel documents, dealing with hundreds of thousands of code files, ... and I can actually game.

There is a nice refinement to my MBP... if I may be so bold as to bring out a terrible car analogy. My MBP is a nice pricey car that looks good but my desktop is a C8 Corvette that I could drive daily and take to the track whenever I wanted.

iCloud's limitations just astound me. It's 2020... so OneDrive has my business there... though I still use iCloud for photos.

I grew up with Windows, used it for most of my life, work with it every day. So I may be a bit biased... but... Windows works well.

So I've settled for both and ... I spend most of my time in the C8 Corvette, especially now that I work at home.

Comment

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Text rendering is just so nice.
For what I do, I prefer windows text rendering in many cases. For instance, using Apple mail, the text on an email is just too small, its not an iMac issue or a MBP problem, no matter what mac the text is smaller then on windows. Likewise with Excel, I typically have to set the zoom rate for excel to be 150% and that's using 12pt fonts on my spreadsheets.

I don't disagree that text rendering on the mac can look nice, but given what I use its a struggle. Other apps like Gotomypc, is set up such a way that window controls and tabs take up so much usable space that it impacts my using it. That's not a problem on the windows side ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
Reactions: BigMcGuire
Comment

LiE_

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
UK
I used to refuse to use anything but retina (hidpi) because of how good text and UI looked. However, I actually really like how sharp things look on a 1440p monitor in Windows.

I'm still struggling with my next move after the watercooled PC. The biggest issue I have is speccing a PC that doesn't play games, because naturally the gaming hardware is so damn sexy. I want to get a 34" ultrawide I'm just drawn to high refresh monitors too which are expensive for a decent one (£900+). Im not sure I can go back to 60hz but also can't stomach the price of the gaming ultrawides.

Comment

LiE_

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
UK
OK so for the monitor I've put a pre-order in on the Iiyama G-Master GB3461WQSU-B1, it looks to be a decent package for under 400GBP. Most places are bumping the prices already closer to 500 as well.

It ticks all the boxes from a spec perspective, just need to cross fingers that the QC is good, otherwise it will be returned.

Comment

memo90061

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I bought a monitor that looks exactly the same as the iMac display!! I’m so surprised. I’ve had an iMac for 12 years and bought a custom PC. I bought a monitor and the text looked so bad. I wanted a monitor with high ppi to have crisp text, and I bought the Planar IX2790. It’s amazing!! The text is so crisp and clear on windows. I feel like I’m running Windows on bootcamp.
I’m currently trying to install MacOS and I have an AMD cpu. Let’s see how that goes.

Reactions: GalileoSeven
Comment

GalileoSeven

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2015
OK so for the monitor I've put a pre-order in on the Iiyama G-Master GB3461WQSU-B1, it looks to be a decent package for under 400GBP. Most places are bumping the prices already closer to 500 as well.

It ticks all the boxes from a spec perspective, just need to cross fingers that the QC is good, otherwise it will be returned.

Great find - too bad that seems to be an EU-only model.

I bought a monitor that looks exactly the same as the iMac display!! I’m so surprised. I’ve had an iMac for 12 years and bought a custom PC. I bought a monitor and the text looked so bad. I wanted a monitor with high ppi to have crisp text, and I bought the Planar IX2790. It’s amazing!! The text is so crisp and clear on windows. I feel like I’m running Windows on bootcamp.
I’m currently trying to install MacOS and I have an AMD cpu. Let’s see how that goes.
I never thought one could find one like that!! Hope it works out for you!

Comment

Falhófnir

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2017
Unfortunately it seems Apple no longer make a model that suits me - a laptop with a large screen, but no need for tons of power. I could of course pay out for a 16" Pro, and I go back and forth on this, but it just seems such a terrible waste of money when I could otherwise get an Air or one of the cheaper 13" pros and get on fine. Considering you're talking at least £1,000 extra for the 16" over an Air or base Pro, that's the difference between getting a Mac and a new iPad or iPhone or just getting a Mac that's going to be utilised to maybe 10% of its potential.

This is really driving me towards a Windows alternative, though I think I would prefer to keep a toe in the Mac pond. At the moment I'm thinking of consolidating virtually all of my home use onto a 17" XPS (replacing old gaming laptop, Mac Home use/ phone backup machine, heavier browsing needs) plus a casual browsing iPad, and clearing my MBP out to just be a work machine until it becomes totally unusable, at which point I'll see what is on offer as far as replacing that goes.

There's no fun in the idea of new Macs, for me, at the moment. Just a lot of frustration with how limited the lineup's options are. Maybe Apple will fix this with new models to come this year or next, but it's been like this for a long time now and it seems intentional more than transitory. The new models look good if you want a 13" thin and light, or a powerful but sleek 16" workstation, but any other wants or needs are simply uncatered to.

Comment

LiE_

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
UK
That's the conclusion I found after I went through most the Apple PC hardware. What they offer is what you get and if that doesn't fit what you're looking for then what do you do. Windows opens up options vastly and personally I've found Windows really good.

Comment

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
That's the conclusion I found after I went through most the Apple PC hardware. What they offer is what you get and if that doesn't fit what you're looking for then what do you do. Windows opens up options vastly and personally I've found Windows really good.
But to be fair, 'Windows' options are made up of many OEMs. So of course there will be more options.

But sometimes even with all those options combined, one can't find their desired device. For example, if MBP 16 didn't come with touch bar, I would purchase one.

I'm using X1E. But I want a larger screen with 16:10. I also want Thinkpad build quality, with all ports that my X1E has. Only one OEM comes close, and that is Dell with their XPS lineup. But they are using tb3 ports only, just like Apple.

So, of course there will be more options on 'Windows' side, since there are many OEMs. But if you look at each OEM like an individual, you will soon find out that a lot of them are really similar to Apple.

Of course, having multiple OEMs is one of PC strengths. And that's why I personally don't see myself coming back to Apple anytime soon, if ever.

Reactions: GalileoSeven
Comment

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
So, of course there will be more options on 'Windows' side, since there are many OEMs. But if you look at each OEM like an individual, you will soon find out that a lot of them are really similar to Apple.
Indeed, just go to Razer, and you have very little options or choices. My take on it, is the manufacturers need to maximize profit but not at the expense of support costs. Having fewer models means less overhead throughout their supply chain and support. They're selling to the masses, not the individual.

I'm personally not worked up, but such a move made me move up to a higher spec'd model then I was prepared, I wanted a faster screen from razer, but that was only on their top spec'd model. Life is about compromises, if you need or want a specific component or configuration, you may need to compromise on something else, like spending more money

Reactions: c0ppo
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.