Florida becomes 36th state to allow same sex marriage

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iBlazed, Jan 6, 2015.

1. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Welcome to the 21st century Florida! 14 more to go. I'm thinking SCOTUS will finish the job by this June.

On another note, Florida's dimwitted and 3 times married attorney general Pam Bondi's fight to the end to protect the "sanctity of marriage" was a frickin joke. She finally begrudgingly threw in the towel.

Link

2. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

3. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Yeah I don't think anyone could have imagined this momentum just 2 years ago. It really took off after Windsor.

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

5. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I'm sure Disney will see an uptick in business from couples who want to get married there. One Million Moms (who actually only have a few thousand members) already boycotted Disney because of Gay Day. :D

6. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

How is this happening in conservative states? :eek:

7. Meister Suspended

Meister

The constitution?

8. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

they did not allow it they are not smart enough for that. but have you seen the counties that have opted out of doing any civil weddings so the can avoid doing gay weddings? pretty crazy. bullies got beaten up and now go home crying and take their balls with them.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/...emonies-rather-than-perform-same-sex-weddings
    http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovemen...counties_just_got_out_of_the_wedding_business
    UPDATED: More Than a Dozen Florida Counties Just Got Out Of The Wedding Business

9. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

They've ignored the Constitution for 200 Years and finally came to their senses? ;)

10. Meister Suspended

Meister

Slavery? The "war on drugs"?

"Papier ist geduldig." (Paper is patient.)

You can read into written stuff whatever you like. Just look at the various holy books.

Right now they are interpreting it in a way that marriage is also possible between the same sex.

Of course the constitution is a piece of paper and you can read whatever you like into it and at a later time in history they will change their mind again. They always do.

11. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I understand. :) Marriage= state/church approved legal unions granting sanctioned procreation and special privileges regarding property and children. It's hard to open the requirements to those of the same sex, especially under the tradional homophobic pervue of the church. Personally I believe that Churches should be allowed to abstain from same sex marriages if they feel it is against their beliefs, but that the right should be guaranteed by the State.

A recent report said that some Court Houses were ceasing performing civil unions because some of them are uncomfortable performing such ceremonies for same sex couples. I object to this. If it is decided the Constitution guarantees this right, then those Court Houses better be offering this service, or offering an alternative like Justice of the Peace.

12. Meister Suspended

Meister

They stopped performing wedding ceremonies for everyone. they are still marrying people.

If they are civil servants they have to.

13. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

There has to be terrible pun here but I just … did they have them in a sack?

14. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

"Now that same-sex marriage is a reality in Florida, Bondi's spokeswoman told The Associated Press "the judge has ruled, and we wish these couples the best.""

Yeah, sure. That's why you don't see them as equals and don't want them to get the same rights as you, you POS.

Seems the right has mostly given up on this one. In a few years they'll pretend they never opposed it as even a lot of their base won't even be against it.