Florida college student, suspended over gun photo, sues school

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Solver, May 31, 2019.

1. Solver macrumors 6502a

“A Florida college student is suing her school after she was suspended indefinitely over a photo of her posing with a handgun at a shooting range.

According to the lawsuit, filed May 14 in U.S. District Court in Jacksonville, Dia'mon Dallas alleges her constitutional rights were violated when First Coast Technical College suspended her based on the photo posted to her Facebook page.

“Everything has just gone down the drain. I really was trying hard in school. I was making A’s,” Dallas told WJAX-TV.

Dallas said she and her fiance, Anfernee Royster, were at the range with her cousin, a military veteran who was teaching the couple how to shoot. The couple posed together for a photo holding the firearms with the caption “She’s my Bonnie and I’m her Clyde.”

https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-college-student-suspended-over-gun-photo-sues-school

2. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

The schools is ridiculous for suspending her. The picture wasn’t taken on school property however, taken at a gun range. The only problem I have is the firearm was pointed towards the one taking the photo. That’s just stupid and not safe.

531748C9-4732-4BDD-BDDF-DDE53DF90BC6.png

3. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Sorry for her but the photo is stupid. She’s pointing the gun to a human being. It’s reckless and idiotic, no matter how trained she is.

4. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Was going to say same.
    "Stupid with a gun"

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Glad to see more women in the ranks but yes she has a lot to learn

6. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

Looks like an example of someone being irresponsible with a gun. Maybe she should have her license revoked too!

7. iTurbo macrumors 6502

Just ridiculous, even if she does have a thing or two to learn about gun safety. Easy to say based on a picture I suppose. Hardly a threat and I hope she defends herself to the max anytime she feels the need to.

8. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502a

Bug-Creator

So how should the college know wether that was a joke or a manifesto? Or should they have just started arming teachers after the fact?

Play stupid games win stupid prices:confused:

9. nia820 macrumors 68020

nia820

With all the school shootings going on, the parents thought this was a good idea?

10. iTurbo macrumors 6502

What?!

So something that didn't even happen anywhere close to school grounds, with no implied intention, is somehow turned into a threat to you? I must be from a different part of the country because that is just mind boggling to me.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 2, 2019 ---
    You might be more worried about PC culture than actually doing something about the real threats out there.

11. Zenithal macrumors 604

I don't see anything wrong with this. Much like I don't see anything wrong with certain colleges kicking out students if they're found to be dating or having sex before marriage.

12. mrex macrumors 68040

mrex

And that would be odd without burning witches, chaining wizards and hanging if having a black cat.

13. iTurbo macrumors 6502

Let's all just eliminate personal thoughts and indoctrinate a certain belief.....or else.

14. Zenithal macrumors 604

They're private colleges with a religious background, usually Catholicism or Mormonism. They can do whatever they want as long as they don't receive federal funding that stipulates they must follow certain criteria.

15. bambooshots macrumors 65816

bambooshots

What license? Drivers license?

16. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

Exactly my point.

17. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

You think people would learn by now not to use Facebook.

18. sim667 macrumors 65816

If she's that irresponsible with the gun, they should probably remove the child from her care

19. Carnegie macrumors 6502a

If those colleges are private actors and they're following their established policies (i.e. the contracts they've entered into with students), then sure.

But here we're talking about a public school suspending a student based on their (non-school-related) speech. We shouldn't tolerate governments doing such things.

20. Zenithal macrumors 604

Right, except this has always been the case. Public schools have suspended or expelled students for their actions outside of school. It isn't a new trend.

Don't complain about what you feel is right and feel is wrong to me. Complain to the state education boards that allow for that to happen.

21. blackfox Suspended

blackfox

well, this is where we are. It is all expedience, mercenary-mentality and laziness/entitlement all rolled together...with no regard to ethics or civics - those are community-based and we are a society of "I". The girl in question did no great sin, but we've lost the ability to judge accurately, and so has she.

22. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

sitting on a beach watching a DC simulation ...
    Utter stupidity.
    The school needds to be reminded and held accountable.
    On the other hand, the photo is just a stupid photo. No harm intended to anyone.

23. statik13 macrumors regular

statik13

Welcome to our new normal.

In a heated environment of school shootings there is no lack of stupid to go around from both students and schools.

I'm guessing we are not hearing the whole story. I'd love to see the comments on her facebook page that followed the "Bonnie and Clyde" statement.

24. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I think it was foolish to point the gun and reference a notorious criminal couple. I'm not sure getting kicked out of college is appropriate though. Sounds like she wanted to play gangster, but got a lot more of the heat than she wanted.

25. Carnegie macrumors 6502a

I wasn't complaining so much as pointing out the relevant difference between the situations you referred to and this one - i.e., pointing out why those colleges might be allowed to do what you suggest while this college wouldn't be allowed to do what it did here.

This isn't about what I feel is right or wrong. It's about what is or isn't allowed under our Constitution. Unless there's more to the story, what the First Coast Technical College did - i.e. suspend her in response to this Facebook posting - is pretty clearly unconstitutional.

There are some narrow recognized exceptions which apply in the K-12 context which allow such public schools to discipline students for speech which the government generally (i.e. outside of the K-12 context) wouldn't be allowed to punish people for. One of those exceptions may even apply to off-campus speech; the law isn't settled on that point. But the others - i.e. the Fraser exception for vulgarity or sexual innuendo and the Morse exception for advocacy of illegal drug use - don't apply to off-campus speech.

But those exceptions, regardless of whether they would apply to off-campus speech, wouldn't matter here because we aren't dealing with a K-12 school. Further, unless there's more to the story, I don't think what she did would fall within any of those exceptions.

So the point is... while a private college may be able to expel students for the kinds of things you referred to, this public college almost certainly can't suspend this student for that Facebook posting. I think it's unlikely that even a K-12 public school could do so.