Florida Man Exposes A Theater's Discriminatory Policy Against Men

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by LIVEFRMNYC, Apr 12, 2015.

1. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Should be the easiest law suit ever, but then again ..... it's wacky Florida.

2. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

lol, crazy... but cmon, something else than always a lawsuit... cant you just think anything else than lawsuits...

3. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

This is America!

4. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Sexist double standard. I'm surprised theaters are not searching all bags brought into theaters of course that would mess up my candy smuggling scheme. ;)

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I think this is the first time a story where the headline begins with "Florida Man Exposes" didn't end with the Florida Man having to register as a sex offender.

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

7. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

This is much ado about nothing. Yes, the attendant did a terrible job of describing the theater's policy. All handbags are usually subject to inspection and women typically only bring their wallets with them into a theater which aren't big enough to hide a video camera.

8. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    What I do is take empty blood packs from hospitals, fill them with soft drinks, and tape them to my body underneath my shirt. A small tube connects all the packs together, terminating just beneath my collar. Whenever I want to take a drink, I'll lean my head down a bit, and *schlllurrrppppp*.

Some people think I might be going a little too far just to keep from having to buy drinks from the theater concession stand. But hell, have you seen how much they're charging for a 20oz? It's ridiculous!

9. Huntn, Apr 12, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2015

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

But the warm drinks! :eek: My theater offers a refillable cup and popcorn bucket good for the calendar year not that we refill them during the course of the movie, but that the up front refill price (walking in for the movie) is less than buying them the regular way for each movie we attend.

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Given people have made entire ads on an iPhone that seems like a rather odd policy.

11. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

That's not a problem. I just pretend I'm European for a little while.

I've seen those deals, but I've yet to commit to one. I don't go to the theater nearly as often as I used to, maybe swinging by to catch a flick about 3-4 times a year. I don't think I go enough to get the most out of the yearly refills.

12. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

True but no theater is crazy enough to start confiscating cell phones. The policy is geared more towards preventing people from recording the movie on higher quality equipment.

13. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

LOL - I thought initially that this would be about preventing terrorism - you know, the safety of customers. But of course it's about protecting profits. Mind you, these days films are so crap that there's little reason to bootleg them.

14. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

20oz?! Jesus no wonder America has the highest obesity rate in the world. I doubt I could drink that amount in a day let alone the time it takes to watch a film.

15. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

20oz is a small size.

16. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Yeah. Our Small, Medium, and Large is the equivalent of a Large, Holy ****, and Metric ****ton elsewhere in the world.

17. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

This whole method of piracy prevention is rather outmoded anyway. Thanks to this newfangled thing called the internet, all it takes is one source file to spread pirated copies around the globe.

18. Robstevo macrumors 6502

but but but equal rights for all...but only when it suits. The whole Idea of men don't carry bags is a joke anyway. Every day I see men with manbags, back packs etc.

19. pdjudd macrumors 601

At private venue like theaters? I never see men carry bags with any regularity and if they are, they are just as subject to search as purses are.

20. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

And that's the problem, the purses were not subjected to being searched. She clearly said ladies are allowed to bring big bags/purses because it's normal, but men are not allowed and/or they will have their bags searched.

21. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Real Americans only get the 32oz drinks!

20oz is for wussies.

22. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

Damn right .... Go liter or go home. :D

23. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I almost never drink soda. I try to avoid drinking calories. They typically fill the cups with ice first, so it's not really equivalent to 20 oz of soft drink. It's probably more like 16 (still a lot of sugar).

24. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Man-bags are more common among European men.

As an American, I do travel with a "Messenger Bag" …. which is just a manly term for a man-bag. It is extremely convenient in airplane travel, because most airline policies is: "Your carry-on may include a single carry-on luggage (airlines post the size limit), plus a single personal bag."

Regarding this Florida theatre: they should be sued for gender discrimination. Their policy is inconsistent along gender lines. Either you search ALL bags (male and female customers), or you search none of them.

25. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Yeah I agree. I carry my backpack to work and then into movie theaters sometimes when i want to watch a movie after work or class. I've never had this problem though.