Florida man invokes ‘Stand your ground’ after shooting sheriff’s deputy

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by steve knight, Mar 7, 2014.

1. steve knight, Mar 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2014

steve knight Suspended

steve knight

could not perdict this happening. bet he gets away with it too.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/03/...d-your-ground-after-shooting-sheriffs-deputy/

2. Huntn, Mar 7, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2014

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

And maybe the more police are shot and people (shooters) are acquitted, the sooner they rethink the wisdom of SYG as it is written and enforced today.

3. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Yes, we have to have an eye out for that, for sure.

4. chown33 macrumors 604

Is "STY" an auto-correctism for "SYG"?

Or in Florida, is this law actually known as Shoot The Yahoo?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yahoo_(Gulliver's_Travels)
    Swift describes them as being filthy and with unpleasant habits, resembling human beings far too closely for the liking of protagonist Lemuel Gulliver, who finds the calm and rational society of intelligent horses, the Houyhnhnms, greatly preferable. The Yahoos are primitive creatures obsessed with "pretty stones" they find by digging in mud, thus representing the distasteful materialism and ignorant elitism Swift encountered in Britain. Hence the term "yahoo" has come to mean "a crude, brutish or obscenely coarse person".[1]

5. steve knight thread starter Suspended

steve knight

we could only hope but I have my doubts. Now the big question is was the deputy black? or wearing a hoody or both?

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Can you guys WAIT until he actually gets away with it BEFORE condemning the law? :confused:

7. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Way more to the story...

Judge: Stand Your Ground not applicable in deputy shooting

http://www.pnj.com/article/20140307...-applicable-in-deputy-shooting?nclick_check=1

8. pdjudd macrumors 601

The fact that you can invoke it in the first place in this situation entitles us to criticize the law in the first place. I don’t care what his hopes are or the outcome, that he wants to use it in the first place is just insane.

9. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

10. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Are you saying there should a list of rules on what laws/defenses can be invoke-able by a defense lawyer?

What would be the point of a court of law if someone could arbitrarily tell a lawyer what laws/defenses could be used before the case was even heard?

11. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

While it does seem to be becoming the goto defense for attorneys, it's affects on people doing the shooting would be limited to premeditation. That is, if SYG encourages risky behavior.

12. Huntn, Mar 8, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2014

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I fixed my acronym to SYG. Spell checker should be shot!! :p As far as the hoody or race of policeman, that would interesting to know. ;) Great info on yahoos. I had no idea! My impression the term is generally misapplied, but I'll remember materialism and ignorant elitism... We got yahoos in the U.S. :eek:

13. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Stand your ground laws seem to be designed to work as a successful defence when you've killed the other person and they can't tell their side of the story, so this guy clearly made a mistake by shooting the officer in the leg.

14. samiwas macrumors 65816

No, that's not what he was saying at all. He's saying that the law is written so terribly, that someone could even think it WOULD work in this situation, is ridiculous.

The follow-up which shows that the guy was in the house with the guy they were searching for, and allegedly knew about the robbery, puts this in a whole different light. He could get charged with much worse offenses. And that'll be awesome.