Florida Passes Amendment 2 (Gays Not Welcome Here)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by EV0LUTION, Nov 5, 2008.

1. EV0LUTION macrumors 6502

EV0LUTION

This is stupid. How we (Floridians) as a people would pass something so incredibly ignorant is beyond me.

I'm a republican, but could careless about sexual preference (I guess that makes me a moderate :p). If your gay and you want to get married who cares. Really who cares?

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Link? I hadn't heard about this, but it's no surprise. Florida is royally screwed up.

3. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

People who deserve a special place in a fiery place; in my eyes.

4. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I honestly can't understand how people can get so emotional and enraged over something at effects them in absolutely no way, shape, or form. I just can't get it.

5. jplan2008 macrumors regular

I had thought until recently it would lose, since it requires 60% to win, unlike in California, but no such luck.

http://enight.dos.state.fl.us/2008GEN/20081104_DET_A02.html

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/more-info/story/739771.html
    http://www.miamiherald.com/news/front-page/v-fullstory/story/741906.html

6. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Methinks that in the next upcoming years, the 14th Amendment is going to see some serious work at SCOTUS.

BL.

7. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

I hope (with the shift of power) for the movement towards progression and equality.

I'm making calls this week to my representatives Congress to discuss legislation denying tax exemption to organized religion for involvement in political agenda.

Separating church and state once and for all is necessary.

8. iGary Guest

iGary

I just wish they'd declare these anti-gay amendments unconstitutional once and for all, because it's what they are.

9. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

And right now, with the way the homophobic freaks are writing these amendments, SCOTUS will be the only place that they'll be overturned, based on 14th.

BL.

10. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

Hint: The reason starts with an "R"

11. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Couldnt believe it when I saw it.

And it passed by a large margin too...

"WHAT!? They wanna get married? Not in my country! Damn homos always trying to take what we got and dirty it all up. I gotta get out there and vote for McCain too while Im at it."

So sad. :(

Guess my stand against getting married continues. Im not one to just take for granted the rights granted by marriage to another person, and do it myself until everyone can regardless of anything besides the criteria of being a living human being.

In other words, Im not gonna get married unless I truly "have to" (in the sense of Federal/State/Insurance benefits). Until the time when anyone can.

12. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Because you want to?

There is not one statement in the constitution that says church and state are separate.

I see that there is freedom of religion. I see also that there is no state-sponsored religion. I see nothing about "no religion in government".

If you want to cry "separation of church and state", change the U.S. Constitution. Then use that argument, which is currently nothing more than an agenda that has no basis in actual law.

13. iGary Guest

iGary

There's not one statement in the Constitution about a right to a fair trial or right to privacy, either.

So what's your point again?

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I just don't get why people care what 2 consenting adults do. There is no reason homosexuals should be denied the same rights as straight people. I've yet to hear one argument that made any sense.

15. GorillaPaws macrumors 6502a

GorillaPaws

What happens when a same-sex couple forms a legal union in a state that permits such unions, and then moves/visits Florida? I keep thinking of that slavery supreme court case where slaves that left the south were still slaves, effectively nationalizing slavery, would that legal reasoning apply?

16. EV0LUTION thread starter macrumors 6502

EV0LUTION

Their union is not recognized and a very large legal battle will ensue!

17. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I'm gay and against gay marriage but i still say f*** Florida.

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It becomes null and void.

19. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I had hoped that since we require 60 percent for approval, this amendment would fail--no such luck. It is sad that people can't stay out of other people's business--it certainly makes no difference to me if two people want to get married--gay, straight--what does it matter as long as they are happy. There is already a law that defines marriage as between a man and a woman but some evidently felt that was not enough, they needed a constitutional amendment just to be sure--now they have their way. :(

20. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

I have no legal issues with gay marriage but I do get a lot of exposure to the other side so I thought I would answer this. People care about homosexual marriage because they worry that the government will legitimize homosexuality by legalizing gay marriage. People will become more accepting of what they feel is a sinful lifestyle, and the country will become more sinful in general. This will lead to children being exposed to homosexuality at earlier ages and getting indoctrinated to the idea that it is a normal way of life. They do not want to see society become more accepting of something that is considered a sin.

The majority of these people are not filled with hate for homosexuals. They do, however, think that homosexuality is wrong and they do not want to see it given a more prominent position in our culture.

21. iGary Guest

iGary

I get up in the morning and take a shower, get ready for work and have breakfast with my partner.

I go home, we eat dinner together.

We share in paying the bills and expenses.

We take care of each other when the other is sick.

We support the other when the other is down.

We are committed to each other and have a monogamous relationship.

How is this abnormal?

22. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

It was intentional.

23. MacbookSwitcher macrumors 6502

MacbookSwitcher

Florida's passage of 2, along with California's passage of 8, is a very encouraging sign that the country is not totally screwed, despite having chosen a dangerous and incompetent pick for president.

24. EV0LUTION thread starter macrumors 6502

EV0LUTION

I've always assumed (and have had this idea justified through scientific research) that homosexuality is a genetic trait, like heterosexuality.

These people need to get of the bible belt for a little while. Coming from a very moderate Australian society (Dual Citizen), I'm amazed at the ignorance of some of the people in central/north Florida.

25. iGary Guest

iGary

How would the country be screwed if I went down to the courthouse and signed a piece of paper?