florida primary

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Macky-Mac, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

with about half the vote counted CNN currently shows McCain with a small lead over Romney at the moment, 35% to 32%.......and it looks like Giuliani's strategy was a big flop with a current count of 16%, and Huckabee trailing with 13%

Clinton is clobbering Obama, 51% to 30%, with Edwards back at 16%

I wonder how much longer Giuliani will stay in the race?

2. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Doesn't matter for the Democrats anyway. I'm not surprised that McCain is winning; Florida loves their war mongers.

3. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Apparently so. I hate when I hear a speech from him where he goes about speaking like he knows what military folks, like me, think/feel about the issues.

People voting for McCain: What the flip? :mad:

4. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

So if Obama wins the Nomination by a slim margin, it doesn't matter that Florida democratic voters were disenfranchised?

5. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

News networks are talking about Giuliani dropping out (big surprise) and throwing his support behind McCain.

6. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

Just a random thought, but does a state not getting delegates (Florida/Michigan) effect what the voter turnout/results would otherwise be?

Basically, 2 of 3 primary wins by Hillary result in no delegates, so does she really have 3 wins, or does she really have 1 "true" win, and thus would be tied with Obama?

Maybe this is already know by others, but in my limited times as a voter in a presidential election I don't recall much talk of states not getting delegates. I really dislike the whole delegate/primary system, but thats a rant for another time!:p

7. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

If you go by delegates, Hillary has 0 wins. Obama and Hillary tied for delegates in Iowa and Nevada. Obama got 1 more delegate in NH. Obama got a ton more delegates in SC.

8. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

My fault for not counting Nevada and Iowa originally (the CNN page I use to keep track of it all puts the caucuses way below the primaries).

It just seems strange to me that the two Hillary "blow-outs" were states that had their delegates removed.

P.S. No, I am not trying to be pro/anti anyone, just pointing out something I thought was interesting.

9. MikeTheC Guest

MikeTheC

Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
  10. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

The democratic party asked all of the candidates to remove their names from the ballots in both Michigan and Florida.

In Michigan, everyone did except Hillary. That's why she got a "blow-out" there. She was the only one on the ballot.

In Florida, Edwards and Obama tried to get their names off the ballot but it was too late so they stayed on. However, they never once went to Florida to campaign there. Meanwhile, Hillary was in Florida just the other day campaigning.

Basically, Hillary didn't comply with the party's wishes to remove her name from the ballot in these states, and now she's petitioning them to get the delegates reinstated because she won the states and they would put her in the lead for delegates.

11. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

I actually forgot all about the fact she was the only one on the ballot.
    I wonder why Hillary is not removing her name as asked. While technically Florida and Michigan don't matter maybe it is some form of subliminal campaigning, and it really wouldn't surprise me considering the race-card playing that has been occurring via Bill. The fact that she is trying to get the delegates reinstated is just pathetic.

Thanks for the info. I am trying to learn more about the process and do more research this election year, and every-time I think I am getting a grasp on things I learn that they are 3-4 more things that just confuse the hell out of me.:p

12. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

I am laughing at rudy guliani right now
    but it is of no consequence, john mccain WILL NOT win the general
    first of all he said the economy is not his strong point and he sees no reason to end the war anytime ever

13. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

McCain can bring a lot of independents to his side. If it's McCain vs. Hillary, McCain will win because he'll get most of the independent vote.

14. SthrnCmfrtr macrumors 6502

I don't know. Admittedly, I was interested in a McCain presidency back in 2000, but he's shown some ugly colors since then. (Not to mention I was a lot more conservative then than I am now)

15. Macky-Mac thread starter macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

McCain definitely has a chance, even if it's against Obama. Rasmussen Reports just published a poll showing that as of today McCain would be favored over Clinton 48% to 40%, and over Obama 47% to 41%

Of course polls this far ahead of the general election don't mean much as far as predicting the ulimate winner, but it does suggest that the election isn't going to be a simple dash to victory for whoever wins the dem's nomination.

16. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

My biggest fear is that it comes out to be McCain vs Hillary for the presidential campaign. If that happens I agree that McCain would beat Hillary easily giving the war mongering republicans another 4 years to create a "victory" in Iraq.:eek: