Florida school shooting: US airline to lose tax break over NRA row

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Stella, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Stella macrumors G3

Stella

Government shouldn't concern itself with whom businesses choose to give discounts to.

"
    Legislators in the US state of Georgia have passed a bill denying Delta Air Lines a tax break after the firm cut ties with the US gun lobby.
    "

http://www.bbc.com/news/43250091

2. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

If only they took the loss of children as seriously as they do the loss of a club membership.

3. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

This is a dangerous precedent. What will happen if they drop the AAA discount? or AARP? :eek:

4. Zenithal macrumors 604

I generally like Delta's 1st and biz class. I think I'll plan my next few trips using the airline over my other choices. In fact, I'd be open to my state welcoming Delta with open arms to move their HQ here and firing all employees in the state of Georgia.

You can bet your ass Amazon struck Georgia off their list of secondary HQ locations.

5. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Other states have already offered Delta an opportunity to relocate, so Georgia might be hoisted by its own petard.

6. webbuzz macrumors 68000

webbuzz

Delta isn't leaving Atlanta over this.

7. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Maybe not but Government retaliation for the actions of the private sector sets a scary precedent, it shows the grip the NRA has on our officials.

8. 0007776 Suspended

Not anytime soon, but that doesn’t mean that they won’t start building up another east coast hub to take over in 10-15 years. They definitely won’t be expanding much there. And this will hurt Georgia’s ability to attract other businesses.

9. webbuzz macrumors 68000

webbuzz

Very doubtful they will ever move.

10. statik13 macrumors regular

statik13

Absolutely on your second point. What business would trust Georgia's government now? Very short sited move.

11. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

Doesn't matter if Delta leaves. What this does is send a message to any business that may consider moving to Georgia, that they can't be trusted. Republicans maybe pro business, but only if you side with their politics.

12. Zenithal macrumors 604

Such as Amazon. I'm going to wait and read Brad's tome on this since he's more of an airline geek than I can be.

13. webbuzz macrumors 68000

webbuzz

Sounds just like Democrats and moonbats.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 2, 2018 ---
    Atlanta might be on the short-list for HQ2, but it will most likely be NoVa or Texas.

14. Zenithal macrumors 604

Maybe. Maybe not. They probably want it near a major airport seeing as they want to have their own freight service and already leased a bunch of jets.

15. samcraig macrumors P6

Forget partisan politics - this seems inappropriate and over reach.

16. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Why not? It would be quite a large move, but I could see them transferring the operations slowly to other regions. They're out for profit after all.

17. Fugabutacus macrumors regular

Oh my god the government has overstepped. Guys, quick, grab your guns and do something!

18. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

Cool. Which ones?

19. 0007776 Suspended

They won’t move completely, but Airlines have shut down hubs before. It would be one thing if Georgia shut this down and said that they are done with corporate welfare and stop giving tax breaks targeted at any corporation it would be one thing, but openly punishing one company for a political stance that didn’t even go that far is going to be a big incentive for them not to have all their eggs in one basket.

20. webbuzz macrumors 68000

webbuzz

Delta’s CEO pretty much affirmed that in his letter to employees regarding the issue. He also said they will review discounts to any group of a politically divisive nature.

They aren’t moving over $40 million. They will get the exemption in the end.

21. samcraig macrumors P6

I hope those legislators have a way for them and their families to fly on airlines other than Delta. Things can happen with bags, seating and all sorts of things that would be hard to prove ;)

22. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Unfortunately, I don't see DAL pulling out of Atlanta, either. With KATL being the world's busiest airport, DAL isn't going to relinquish such a sweet spot to any other airline.

That said, they have quite a number of options as they do have for hubs. They have: MEM (from the NWA acquisition), CVG (which they dropped as a hub), JFK, BOS, MSP, SLC, LAX, and SEA (which all still run as major hubs). I don't see them scaling down operations at ATL to ramp one of those up.

Second reason: banking. There is nothing financial-related west of the Mississippi. They have major ops in New York. They are a puddle hop from CLT and RDU. Not only does that put them in every city we have for the banking sector, but with being part of SkyTeam, that puts every international corporation also within arm's reach of them via ATL.

Third reason: nowhere to go. Should DAL move, they really don't have anywhere to go that isn't truly beneficial to them. When UAL and AAL moved to Chicago, they had a major reason: Boeing. Boeing moved their corporate HQ from Seattle to Chicago, so UAL followed suit (to hopefully get good deals), and when AAL saw what happened, they did the same. With DAL offering a mixed-fleet product, they have two choices: abandon Atlanta and also move to Chicago), or move to... Mobile, Alabama. Chicago gives them access to Boeing, while Mobile gives them access to Airbus and Bombardier. They are already all-in on the CSeries, so why not do Mobile? See the Banking reason above, plus Mobile is already a puddle-hop from ATL.

So Delta doesn't have any financial reason to move. However, politically, this is a major problem. Conservatives always complains and grandstand about keeping government out of the lives of the individual and of business, yet we have those very conservatives sticking their hands in the daily operations of business, where they don't belong. They just made full-blown hypocrites out of themselves, and not should and will this be challenged in court, this sets a very nasty precedent as to what the government can and can not do. For example, if this bill becomes law, and the government punishes DAL for a private decision, should that same government be able to pass a law to punish the individual who cancels their NRA membership and willingly surrenders their guns to the police?

That is exactly what could be coming next: punishing those "law abiding citizens" for lawfully and legally getting rid of their guns.

BL.

23. webbuzz macrumors 68000

webbuzz

The exemption was first went into effect in 2005, expired in 2015, and Delta didn’t leave.

24. cube macrumors P6

Probably not the hub, but new flights and HQ could go elsewhere.

That does not mean there was a valid reason for the tax break.

25. 0007776 Suspended

When they let it expire did the lawmakers explicitly say they were targeting Delta like they do now?