Florida Supreme Court rules against law preventing adoption by gay couples.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Shivetya, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Shivetya macrumors 65816

Oh, hell, we are doomed!

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...FLORIDA?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Florida's strict ban on adoption by gay people is unconstitutional because no other group, even people with criminal backgrounds, are singled out for a flat prohibition by state law, an appeals court ruled Wednesday.

Can we have the state legislature march out to sea now? Then again, I keep forgetting, the fishies don't deserve that.

It would be fun to charge politicians for every law that is over turned.

2. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

A good ruling. We've just done the same here in Australia. The world is progressing slowly.

3. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

As much as I think there is a role for a mother and father in the upbringing of a child, a loving environment trumps all in this case. As long as the child has a loving supportive parent figure(s) I think they'll be fine.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It's about damn time Florida moved out of the Stone Age. Now we just have to get them into the 19th, or even 20th centuries. I think it's premature to ask them to join the 21st. ;)

There are a lot of wackos crying in their beer and polishing their guns in Florida right now.

5. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

From generation X onwards the future is bright for gay rights :).

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It hasn't been going so well lately.

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I think worst case scenario, once all of the old bags in Congress and on the courts die off, things will turn around. It seems that generally, younger people on both sides of the political spectrum are open to equality. Except for the extreme right wing whackos, and they'll always make up a minority in the government. And that's worst case scenario, I hope things turn around much sooner than that.

8. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I didn't even realize there was such a law. :eek:

I've never been a big supporter of adoption in general, but if you're going to allow it for heterosexual couples, why not homosexual couples? Do they love the child any less as a result of their sexual orientation? Or is this about being considered a "bad influence"? :confused:

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I've been saying this for over 24 years, and we still seem to be no closer. :(

You guessed it.

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

That. There's a common misconception that children need both a father and a mother growing up, even though plenty of children brought up by single parents grow up to be successful. We even have one of those as president, and I'd say that's pretty damn successful. And the nutjobs also think gay parents raise gay children, which, is of course, BS, because obviously not all straight parents raise straight children.

There is absolutely no good reason for gay couples to be banned from adopting children.

11. Shivetya thread starter macrumors 65816

What made the law over the top stupid was that gay couples, even singles, could be foster parents. Then a few pants on head politicians decided to play god again...

12. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

It's a phobia; an irrational fear.

If pressed, these people would freely admit that hanging out with a gay person or people won't turn them gay, any more than a gay person hanging out with straight people will turn that person straight.

13. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

You took the words right out of my mouth. How could putting children in a loving, stable home run by two parents of the same sex be worse than leaving them unadopted, in foster care homes, and growing up in the care of numerous non-family members? I just don't see how that can make sense to anyone. Even if you do believe that being gay is wrong and that gay parents have a greater chance of raising gay children than straight parents do, that is worse than the alternative of these children not being adopted at all? I mean...yikes.

14. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Is the myth that Gays are made, not born, still floating about?? :mad:

15. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

Why? I had neither, I turned out fine. Two of any gender would seem like a luxury these days.