Florida teen commits suicide on Justin.tv

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Cleverboy, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    Remember the MySpace suicide in 2007?
    http://a.abcnews.com/TheLaw/Story?id=3946124&page=1
    Now, news is breaking of a Justin.tv, live video suicide.
    http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/MindMoodNews/story?id=6306126&page=1
    Just awful. Overdose of prescription medication.
    Not ONLY is this terrible for his family, I wonder how services like Justin.tv can respond to these types of challenges, so as to make sure these types of incidents are discouraged and help is sent by community members that are clearly watching things unfold in realtime. Next time, it could be a gun suicide, or worst, a murder. I'm not sure how you deal with realtime issues like these. Youtube has been looking at realtime broadcasts for webcams, from what I've heard. In an era of wardrobe malfunctions and mental disease, I'm not sure how you approach the quickly evolving idea of the "filter".

~ CB

Attached Files:

2. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

3. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Sounds like 4chan once again, one of my friends was talking about this today, he said saw parts of the stream, pretty horrific stuff really.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

How awful. WTF is wrong with people? "INSTANT DARWINISM"? Whoever wrote that should be shot. :mad:

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

That is the worst. Though I am of two minds regarding people who off themselves. It is sad but it is so freaking selfish.

6. JLatte macrumors 6502

That's just really disturbing. Sad he did this, and pathetic how people egged him on.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I can't begin to imagine what his family is going through.

8. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

It's also pathetic that he listened to them. I agree that it's disturbing, but it seems like he was doing this just for attention.

9. bartelby macrumors Core

No-one kills themselves for attention!
    No-one who is mentally stable seriously thinks about killing themselves.

10. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I don't know how justin.tv works but I'm slightly amazed that their staff doesn't seem to acknowledge or act on a responsibility of care. If anything similar happened here, in a non-video sense, the community and staff would be on it right away.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I am getting tired of hearing this echoed all over the place. Depression is a serious illness, like any other. You have no idea what anyone who commits suicide has gone through. Having experienced this more than a few times with a close friend and my brother, I feel I can speak here. To say that people just do it because they're selfish is no more accurate than any other black and white view of the world. They did the best they could.

12. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

i saw the video and i think it is a Hoax, because just looked too fake to me

13. wadejc85 macrumors 6502

Well said.

Such sad news. :(

14. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I wasn't aware the validity of this was up for question??? :confused: What did they trick the cops that were called into thinking it was a real dead body too?

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

When the police pronounce someone dead, it's clearly not a hoax.

16. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I think the police are in on it too!!!

17. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    Amen. After a relative of mine got divorced, she lay in bed for long periods of time, sometimes feeling like she wanted to walk out into the street, and just being so mixed up it seemed hard to make her way back to some balance. Especially for teenagers, suicide comes across as a quick and easy way to end the pain they cannot rationally believe will ever go away.

Teenage suicide is such an epidemic, I remember when the movie Heathers seemed to mock the whole concept in rye amusement. There was a horrifying spurt of suicides early this year by teenagers on social networking websites:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article825132.ece
    It's all such a cry for help. The easier it is for people to film themselves live on the Internet, the more likely it is that this will just be the beginning of such things... unless someone starts taking more measures to prevent such tragedies on and off camera. The scary thing about live ON camera-type snuff videos... is that the attention this gets, might spawn "copy-cats". People who think this type of statement will somehow "show" someone how bad they were feeling. :(

~ CB

18. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Its all part of Bush's master plan to overthrow the election and remain in office!:p

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Do you guys have anything of value to add? I'm sorry, but this stuff isn't funny.

20. Queso macrumors G4

And yet, rather than take that for the obvious cry for help it was, they just ignored it!! WTF is wrong with people? :(

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

We've seen what's wrong right in this very thread. People like italiano40 and ufcgrad93 think it's a joke. That's what's wrong. Rather than look at something in an honest fashion, they'd rather dismiss it as silly because they can't deal with it.

22. BengalDuck macrumors regular

What do you expect people to do on an internet message board???

You don't kill yourself because someone teases you in a webchat. You kill yourself due to years and years of mental depression and otherwise mental health issues that remain unresolved.

Who's to say that there weren't people in the chat rooms saying helpful, nice things? And that the story just failed to mention those?

Either way, it's not the responsibility of anonymous internet posters to make sure someone doesn't kill themselves, just as it's not on the people who "egged him on" that he did eventually do it. Sure, maybe it didn't help but it certainly wasn't the cause... it'd be like blowing on a car to try and make it go faster...when it's already heading straight down a hill.

23. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

I thought I'd have a peek a boo over at justin.tv mainly due to the Ricky Hatton fight tonight.....

I happened across many pubescent teens, especially girls sitting infront of live web cams to chat rooms with disgusting sexual talk by random strangers.

Blame is with the parents I say.

Oh Ricky won by stoppage. Sweetness.

24. MacsBestFriend macrumors 6502a

MacsBestFriend

that is so sad. youtube is going to have live broadcast soon and yt live just wrapped up an hr ago and i think that was a test of their live software.