Florida Teen Sues High School After School Threatens To Suspend Her...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Prof., May 15, 2008.

1. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

A Florida teen is suing her High School because they threatened to suspend her for wearing a "Pro Gay" shirt.

Story

2. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

[offtopic]I've just wasted thirty minutes reading those comics. Sick, sad, but strangely intriguing.[/offtopic]

3. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

You got to love the PC nature of the world today. I do agree with the schools aspect, however, there could be a neutral ground somewhere for both sides of the coin to "speak" as it were

4. elcid macrumors 6502

I could care less that it was a "Pro Gay" shirt. K-12 is not the place to cause a ruckus. You give up your first amendment rights when you enter onto a school campus. People wear shirts like these to get noticed and cause a stir and thats what the rules are in place so that they dont cause a problem.

Thats what college is for.

5. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Yay, nothing like keeping the gleaming image of Florida Public Education polished!

6. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

You allow clubs to have their own t-shirts promoting what they believe but you dont' allow one kid to wear a pro-gay t-shirt symbolizing what he/she believes? Seriously... why not?

Furthermore, how does wearing a t-shirt disrupt learning? If someone was naked in class, ya, that'll disrupt learning. Wearing a t-shirt isn't gonna cause everyone in the classroom to stare at you. During breaks and lunch time, are the kids actually "learning" anything? no, they're not. I'm sorry, but the school system (even when I was in K-12) is a piece of joke majority of the times. I like learning, but they just strip kids of their rights (many of their rights too such as free speech, expression and such) creating these type of "close-minded" people.

7. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Same here - and I thought "The Farside" was messed up.... :eek:

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

That's what I thought as well.

If the shirt was anti-whaling, I wonder if the principal would have said anything. Probably not, because he's likely a dimwit.

Lets face it. In today's America, an American's right to free speech is very limited. You're allowed to say what's on your mind, as long as it doesn't involve your opinion.

9. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

schools get to set the rules, sorry.
    her first amendment right doesn't count for much when she is on their property under their care.

10. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

From the article the OP linked to.
    Interesting.

More interesting.

Lethal

11. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Boo Hoo. I wasn't allowed to wear my Abercrombie shirt with a girl on a bikini on it. People will sue for anything. Remind me of the South Park episode.

jon

12. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

School rules are VERY contradicting. I remember when I was in high school, the students were allowed to rally down the hallway because of Cinco De Mayo and wear t-shirts symbolizing the mexican flag and sending a message that the day was special to mexicans. However, this one time, when I wore a shirt that said "Drop Beats not Bombs", having a somewhat symbolic message of the Iraq war, I got told off by the Assistant Principle not to wear the tshirt ever again on campus.

I don't see how I actually "broke" the rules. The t-shirt didn't have anything that even graphic art resembling a BOMB. Its just speakers with abstract style.

Agreed. Curiously, I can hold a rally without any threats (as long as its peaceful and not during classtime) of being suspended... but I can't wear any simple shirt without a threat from the school.

We were allowed of those type of shirts as long as nothing was showing. You could wear a shirt with a nice chick in a thong showing her cheeks and the school could care less.

13. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

Does anyone in Florida have a brain?

I am serious.

14. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

not really. The shirt is very political in nature. 2. It is a known fact that being gay or pro gay will bring on harassment.
    It a very hot bed topic that has 2 very strong sides.

Wearing the shirt is going to cause interruption in class because of the polar nature of the topic and it being so political.

I think the punishment was overboard but I think banning the shirt was a good idea.

15. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Does anyone have a pic/link to the offending shirt??

If it shows 2 dykes going at it, I would consider that a tad extreme.

16. JoshLV macrumors regular

+100

17. Prof. thread starter macrumors 601

Prof.

Please refrain from using the word "Dyke". It may be offensive to some members. Thanks!:)

18. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

It would be based on the "Gang" clothing issue. Rival gangs and their colors. Schools just want to cover all bases these days

In 1977, junior year in high school, A girl could wear a Coca-Cola jacket, but in the logo, it read cocaine. :p

19. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

How is this PC? :confused:

What's the other side?

Not the same thing at all.

Look, schools do get to set dress codes. Sucks, but they do. I get that. The problem comes with something like this where they're just afraid it'll offend someone. I guess they'd react the same way to something antigay (I'd hope), but to me it just seems weird that such a thing is still "controversial". It really shouldn't be. There are gay rights groups. I wonder if they were part of a gay rights club if they would be allowed to wear a shirt, or even if they could form such a club in the first place. It's a sticky issue. Curious to see the results.

20. Prof. thread starter macrumors 601

Prof.

A friend of mine who lives in Florida told me the shirt said "I Love Ga People" or "I Love Gay Bois". Something like that. He doesn't know for sure tho.

21. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

22. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Everything these days, is forced to be PC, or Politically correct. and that offends me. They can have freedom of speech, but I can not? :D

23. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

Meh, in my old school you weren't even allowed to have brown shoes, they had to be "black and conventional". You couldn't have your hair too long or too short, had to be clean shaven 24/7. Persistent failure to abide by these rules led to suspension!

24. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

They also make you wear uniform in prison and the army...

Anybody heard of free speech? It only causes problems when people are too close-minded to accept other's opinions.