Florida teens watch & record man drowning

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by TonyC28, Jul 21, 2017.

1. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

http://time.com/4868014/florida-teens-watch-man-drown/

Jamel Dunn drowned in a retention pond in the city of Cocoa on July 12. Cocoa police say they later discovered a group of teens recorded the 31-year-old's drowning on video. The video was released by the state attorney's office Thursday and audio was published by Florida Today. The teens can be heard laughing at Dunn, telling him he's going die and they weren't going to help him.

Police identified and interviewed the five teens involved. Cocoa Police Chief Mike Cataloupe calls their actions "utterly inhumane and cruel," but says criminal charges won't be filed because state law doesn't require people give or call for help when someone's in distress.

It's a shame Florida doesn't have a law for this sort of thing. I'm sure these teenagers will go on to become valuable members of our society.

2. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

the community is going to make life hell for these *******s hopefully. but this is Florida so anything goes.

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

how so? do you know who they are?

4. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

that info is getting out. don't worry the idiots will brag about it.

5. TonyC28 thread starter macrumors 65816

TonyC28

They must have already if cops found the video. Someone should throw them in a pond with their hands tied behind their backs.

6. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

It's awful what they did, but I would not support a law requiring people to render aid. As far as I know, nowhere in the US there such a law - though some might require at least attempting to alert 911 or something.

Making a law to require rendering aid to someone opens up a huge bag of worms in other non-heartless cases. Stories of someone dying while trying to help someone else are far more common than what happened here.

7. Strider64 macrumors 6502

Strider64

I wouldn't want a law requiring rendering aid like you already stated, but there should be a law at least says you have to a least make an attempt to get aid buy either calling 911 or go get aid. These teens had enough to record a man drowning they had enough time to call 911.

While not the same thing I remember my late uncle telling a story on how his army unit (I can't remember his division, but I know it was a famous one of WW2) liberated a concentration camp in the last days of WW2 and the people surrounding concentration camp were forced to go into the camp and clean it up. Someone asked the CO if that was a little unfair and his reply was they didn't do a ******* thing to stop it or even acknowledge it was even happening though they knew darn well that it was. They weren't going to skate by now, for they will have to help clean up the place and help the survivors. My point is while the teens didn't do anything illegal that to me doesn't mean they shouldn't be held morally responsible for their actions.

8. TonyC28 thread starter macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Agreed. I was thinking more like a call to 911. Or something other than pointing and laughing while someone dies a horrible death.

9. samiwas macrumors 68000

"Police identified and interviewed the five teens involved". Do you think it'll be kept that secret?

As for the situation, that just makes me so angry. How can you stand there and watch someone die? And worse yet, how can you LAUGH at it??

10. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Kids can be cruel is one thing, but this is insane. I hope this is some fluke and the kids have decent parents, and that the kids will reflect on and be ashamed of this. Seriously disturbing.

11. TonyC28 thread starter macrumors 65816

TonyC28

I'd say the odds of them having anything close to resembling decent parents are pretty low.

12. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Florida does have a duty to act law like some other states do. I remember how NY passed a law like that when a woman was being murdered and all her neighbor's ignored her cries for help. That was decades ago, btw.

13. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

Well,even if you cannot help yourself,most countries has laws that makes it your duty as a citizen to help or get help. Just shoot a video and laughing is in many countries a crime. If they could not help the man,they should have called for help,and if possible do all they could to get someone that could help to the pond as soon as possible. Letting someone drown while filming it should be considered as extremely cruel,these kids should be sent to jail.

14. anonymouslurker macrumors regular

15. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Seems like those teens had an attitude of 'actions have consequences' (they told the drowning victim it was his own choice to go into the pond so they weren't going to help him). Now, where have I heard that before?

16. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

17. kobalap macrumors 6502

Well, it is Florida.

18. TonyC28 thread starter macrumors 65816

TonyC28

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Recording it is wrong but folk die trying to rescue others. If they couldn't help they should have at least called the emergency services.

20. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Do you wonder about alternate outcome had it been just one kid wandering by when he noticed the man drowning? What is it that seems to make a group more prepared to allow or perpetrate cruelty? Dilution of any innate sense of shared responsibility for another human being's life?

21. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

heard mentality is not great.

22. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

Very sad. I can understand not physically helping the guy assuming the water conditions are dangerous. All too often people go swimming when beaches are closed due to heavy undertow or surf. Then they begin to drown, someone goes in to save them, and drown along with the original victim.

But standing by, mocking the man, and failing to call someone... 911, coast guard, etc is unbelievably shameful.