Floridah...Makes Ak-47's without stop

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Phil in ocala, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Phil in ocala Suspended

Phil in ocala

This Florida Warehouse Is Producing ‘Made in America’ Kalashnikovs
    Sanctions prevent the sale of Russian AK-47s in the U.S. One company found a workaround.
    By
    Michael Smith
    and
    Stephanie Baker
    March 8, 2018, 12:01 AM EST
    [​IMG]
    Mikhail Kalashnikov with a model of his world-famous AK-47 assault rifle in 1997. PHOTOGRAPHER: VLADIMIR VYATKIN/AP PHOTO
    Weeks before he killed 17 students and staff at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla., Nikolas Cruz bought an AK-47-style rifle at a gun shop. While he didn’t use it during his killing spree on Feb. 14, his purchase drew attention to civilian versions of one of the most famous Russian inventions of the 20th century, the AK-47.

In late February, shortly after the shooting, a small group of protesters gathered at a large, nondescript warehouse in Pompano Beach, about 13 miles from Marjory Stoneman Douglas. Although it bears no signs or corporate markings, this 40,000-square-foot factory is the headquarters of Kalashnikov USA, which sells semi-automatic shotguns based on the iconic AK-47 design of Kalashnikov Concern JSC, the state-owned Russian arms maker that the U.S. Department of the Treasury slapped with sanctions in July 2014. According to the U.S. company’s website, you can get one of these semiautomatic shotguns from one of three dozen gun dealers across America. The price: $999.

Kalashnikov USA says it’s not violating sanctions because it’s cut ties to Russia and now sells guns of its own creation, assembled from parts made in the U.S. A closer look reveals an intricate web of interlocking shell companies, some set up since sanctions began, that connects Kalashnikov USA executives to top allies of Russian President Vladimir Putin. One effective result of this could be that Kalashnikov Concern keeps access to the lucrative U.S. gun market while staying on the right side of sanctions. Before sanctions, the U.S. accounted for 90 percent of the company’s civilian firearms exports.

Rostec State Corp. conglomerate, who was targeted by U.S. sanctions. In February 2014, Dmitry Rogozin, deputy prime minister in charge of the defense industry, approved Krivoruchko as CEO of Kalashnikov Concern and allowed him to buy a 49 percent stake with Bokarev and Makhmudov. Two years later, Krivoruchko gave Putin a tour of Kalashnikov’s factory.

In 2012, two years before the Ukraine sanctions hit, RWC, then based in Tullytown, Pa., was set to be Kalashnikov Concern’s conduit into the U.S. gun market, having made a deal to be its sole U.S. distributor. By January 2014, Kalashnikov had plans to export 200,000 guns a year to the U.S. via RWC. That all changed when President Obama announced the sanctions six months later.

In 2015, RWC began to move to South Florida. Krivoruchko has roots in Miami dating to 2011. He’d created a web of companies there and used them to buy a $1.3 million condo on Fisher Island in Miami, a 50-foot yacht named Atlantis, and a $200,000 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG sports car, Florida court and real estate records show.

Just as Putin pushed into Crimea in early 2014, Krivoruchko made Tiraturian manager of the Florida companies that owned his condo and yacht. Krivoruchko’s name disappeared from corporate documents, and there’s no public record of any money changing hands. Ownership of the 2,700-square-foot condo was transferred to a company in Nevada for $100 before a Florida company managed by Tiraturian bought it less than a year later for $2.4 million, property records show.

In 2015, Tiraturian became a director of

2. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Haven't there been AK clones available in the US for a long time now?

4. boast macrumors 65816

boast

Putin's secret plan to arm Americans. The red scare is real!

5. David G. macrumors 65816

So, it’s a shotgun and not a rifle. In other words, incontrovertibly not an AK-47.

6. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

It's a shotgun, this is like sticking an Civic motor in a Corvette.

7. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Looks to be a shotgun.

...as @BoxerGT2.5 points out.

8. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

I am such a child. I snicker every time his name is said.

9. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

Only want one if I can get a drum clip like a street sweeper for it.

Thanks for the ad, I'll look into it.

10. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

Wait? what? When did the Armsel Striker or any of its many variants ever use a clip?
    --- Post Merged, Mar 10, 2018 ---
    What is the problem? The Kalashnikov AK design is brilliant!

They are not breaking any laws and are bringing jobs to the US. The only reason I haven’t personally purchased one myself is I am waiting for them to work all the bugs out of the new production line.

A U.S. make Kalashnikov banded AK-47 should be a really good gun.

The story of Mikhail Kalashnikov is actually pretty good one. He actually didn’t own the rights to the firearm he designed for a very long time. It was only after the Cold War that he was able to get them.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 10, 2018 ---
    The Saiga shotgun is based on the Kalashnikov pattern. It is actually a reliable and flexible semiautomatic firearm. I actually own one of the early models that were imported(obviously not one from this factory). I have found it to be infinitely more reliable than the Franchi SPAS-12 in semi AND pump modes.

It just goes to show the flexibility and simplicity of his design.