Florida's Anti-Evolution Bill.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by appleguy123, Apr 8, 2011.

1. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

More@Source

Let's see that makes:
    Tennessee
    Missouri
    Louisiana
    Florida
    More?

2. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

Probably. This is what happens when you elect republicans :/

3. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Let's see, Republicans are anti-evolution, so that means (oh, excuse me while I scratch my armpit) ...

4. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Republicans: we want less government intrusion unless it involves your heretical beliefs or sexual deviancies.

5. Joined:
    May 30, 2010
    Exactly why government should have NO involvement in education!

6. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

Next year: A bill that allows geography teachers to talk about heaven and hell.

7. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

I have got to find a smart religious person to talk to... this is getting me so frustrated that I'm starting to be a jerk. I'm just getting to the point that whenever I see someone wearing a cross I assume they are a gullible, homophobic, intellectually lazy hillbilly and I know thats not fair.

I need to find some common ground or I am going to be a very angry person and I don't want to be... feel a little better already :D

8. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=archbishop+of+canterbury&aq=0sx
    Delivered.

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

At least I could see the logic and theory behind the Tennessee law. This one on the other had I just can not see any logic or the theory behind it because science class is about science and theory and ID has part of its bases in religion.

10. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

MacAddicttt? mscriv? obeygiant? LeetApple? These are decent, smart, respectable believers on this site, just to name a few.

11. clientsiman macrumors 6502

clientsiman

"He added that evolution and "non-evolution" theories could easily be discussed at the same time."

I would be fun for the kids to discuss evolution, Cthulhu mythos, Creationism and Flying Spaghetti Monster mythos at the same time in the classroom.

The kids are so lucky!

12. Huntn, Apr 9, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2011

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Unfortunately, in no way shape or form can religion be called or taught as a theory. :p

Theory:
    in modern science the term "theory", or "scientific theory" is generally understood to refer to a proposed explanation of empirical phenomena, made in a way consistent with scientific method.

I grew up in the U.S.A. basically thinking we as a country if not superior, were at the head of human civilization. Now I think we are a bunch of ********** idiots drunk with greed and bent on self delusion and ruination. And three ********** wars to boot??? (There is always room for war.) What the hell is wrong with us?

13. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Thanks but I'm agnostic.

And while the theory of evolution doesn't explain how we got here from a to z, it's better than "we are not sure so god must have done it."

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

More evidence that the Christian version of the Taliban is trying to take over. This insanity has to be stopped- NOW. This kind of thing should not be tolerated at all.

This is not merely a point of view. It is ignorance and evil- plain and simple.

15. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

So sorry :\

16. ender land macrumors 6502a

Man, talk about overreactions in this thread.

First, from the article (which is a good point)

Unless the teacher actively censors people in class who do come from some sort of religious background from asking questions/making comments, these issues are bound to come up anyways. Not to mention students probably would talk about them outside of school if they actually care about them.

Second, critical thinking is almost ALWAYS a benefit in my opinion. As someone who has been to college, the lack of critical thinking is terrible - no matter which way it goes. People who are "anti religion" tend to be incapable or not-desiring to hear or try to understand a religious viewpoint, and likewise those who are religious tend to put their heads in the sand and go "la la la" when people critique religion. Or just look at politics in the USA. There is minimal obvious critical thinking going on. We can only hope some people behind the scenes and out of the media spotlight are actually doing this...

When you just get information fed to you as "fact" without having to process it on your own it contributes to an atrophy (or lack of development) of critical thinking. You can't magically get good at thinking critically unless you've practiced it. Many students probably have beliefs inherited from their parents completely. Having them think outside their current belief system, especially when it's inherited, is so important.

Evolution being taught as a theory (ie with empirical information to back it up, as Huntn says) would be very hard to discredit within a scientific equivalent of any religious backing. Nearly all evidence for all faiths is, well, faith based. The sky would not fall as seems many of you believe if evolution had counterpoints discussed within a classroom setting.

17. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

Would it be okay if they taught evolution and just the Islamic alternatives? Because I think we all know "religious" explanations means just Christianity.

We have churches and Sunday School for a reason - teaching and spreading Christianity. If people are curious about exploring faith, let them seek it out.

I agree critical thinking is very important, but how to achieve it should be left to the school and teachers, not some politicized board making over reaching decisions.

18. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Yes, critical thinking is important. "Intelligent design" is the exact opposite of critical thinking. If it must be addressed (e.g., a student presses the issue), it should be given the weight it deserves. Fairy tales should be clearly identified as such and not be presented as alternatives to science.

19. ender land macrumors 6502a

I suppose it is too hopeful of me to assume when they say "intelligent design" it is not associated with a specific religion :D

20. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

My only issue with this is that a politician is involved in the curriculum. Personally, I would not mind to see critique of evolution so long as it's done on a purely scientific basis. It would take a few minutes in total. If they are going to teach ID, however, then it too should be subject to a critique. That would take up far too much valuable class time, IMO.

21. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Chrmjenkins, one of the most intelligent MR members should be mentioned.

22. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

I knew I would not be covering everyone. As I think of it, MacDawg and RedWarrior are also worthy of mention.

23. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I doubt there are many science teachers who haven't had students bring up creationist issues in class. I doubt that anybody here is against open discussion and critical thinking. I doubt that anybody here is advocating censoring students.

But it's one thing to address student-raised questions and concerns about evolution in class, and entirely another to require teachers to include creationism in the curriculum.

Sorry to overreact about it.

There I go ... getting all screechy.

24. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Oh, I know. Didn't mean to take it further but jenkins is just so darn smart it makes my head hurt.

25. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

:confused:

For your gaff, or his lack of belief?? ;)

(Lunch time here. I could use some of His noodley goodness right about now.)