FlyakiteOSX is a transformation pack. It will transform the ...

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Washington, DC
I must admit, before I had a Mac, I did this (piece by piece). Now that I have a Mac, looking at these screenshots are just painful. It's like some sort of Frankenstein's monster-version of our beloved OS.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
For several years now, there have been apps that modify XP VERY heavily to be OS X-like... on the surface. To the point of making WMP look like iTunes even before there was iTunes for Windows, and changing the look of dozens of individual apps.

WHY do such a thing? To such an extreme? There can only be one answer... for the heck of it! And that I can appreciate. Programming something to make XP look like OS X is a challenge I can see the fun in.

And for the user, I can see them liking the look too! But this one doesn't go as far as some that I've seen.

iBook

macrumors regular
May 3, 2004
On a tugboat
I, for one, think it looks pretty good. The idea here is to emulate the look-and-feel of OS X, and the folks seem to have done a good job.

Not sure whether I'll install it on my PC, but I'll let you know if I do.

Anyone have experience with using the package?

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Nermal said:
Yeah, I've seen better ones that put the 'traffic lights' in the right place :)
Also, have you ever seen a blue traffic light?

Honestly, I just don't get it.
Want a Mac? Get a Mac...

ifjake

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
huh. that's interesting. usually i've seen things like this that actually put the bar at the top and turn it into a menu bar, with a dock and everything, traffic lights, the works. this is like steve jobs and bill gates having a child together. and maybe bill left steve and took the thing with him. everything is in the place where it originially was, only each element was just changed.

Wigletbill

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2003
Apple Legal?????

Apple legal will squash this one soon. Look and feel is one thing but using the apple logo is an entirely different beast. Just get a mac mini.

J

thequicksilver

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2004
Birmingham
Wigletbill said:
Apple legal will squash this one soon. Look and feel is one thing but using the apple logo is an entirely different beast. Just get a mac mini.

J
Not a chance. Aqua emulation for Windows has been about since the preview at MWSF 2000 - so longer than it's been publicly available on the Mac. :)

It's responsible for many switchers (myself included) so if Apple were going to put a C&D order on it, it'd be shooting themselves in the foot. The lack of polish and completeness of such emulation is what makes the users eventually go for their first Mac.

plinden

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2004
Wigletbill said:

J
I don't think Apple will care - there have been lots of MacOSX themes for WinXP out for ages now. I've tried a couple out, but only kept the docking bar at the bottom (objectdock from Stardock.com - it does make things easier)

It does all seem kind of pointless to me - I use a PC and want a Mac, so I'll buy one. Changing a few icons doesn't make WinXP into Mac OS

Mav451

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2003
Maryland
edesignuk said:
That. Is. Rubbish. A few Icons and a Theme don't constitute a tranformation pack :rolleyes:

I've seen much better.
I agree. For example, Iceman made one of the best Jaguar Visual Styles (but then went off and disappeared). WB's allow the glyphs to be on the left side, but don't allow 0-pixel.

On the other hand, VS's are restricted the to same limitations that are found in Luna (which are many). And I'm gonna tell you, as a member of Aqua-soft.org (*shock* hahah), there are ALOT of better Panther/Tiger themes than the crap Flyakite used in there.

dukeblue91

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Sorry but this is like buying a fake Rolex with a Chinese made movement, :rolleyes:
People are just kidding them self's if they think a dressed up Win XP would give them the feel of the real thing.
It is what it is, a POS Windows XP.

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
can some tell me how this even fall under news. I have a screen shot of my windows XP laptop running a skin looking like OSX with the OSX log in from 2 years ago with the little blue apple in the top left corner of the screen. The icon match at all.

This is very very old news and is noughting new. It been done before

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I downloaded it, but have yet to install it...by the looks of what's been posted here so far, it may not even be worth it. :sigh:

Oh, and BTW...

This is my 3,500th post. I'ts hard to believe I've hit 3,500 already.

Mav451

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2003
Maryland
Its not so much its been done before, but that the transformation packs weren't as nearly stream-lined, or easy. Plus, it has gone over nearly 2 years of development, so in terms of bugs and kinks worked out, it has be pretty well-refined.

I notice it says "version 1.0", so I'm guessing that after going through 0.1-0.9, that it is finally release "worthy". I guess that's why I made the news?

ClarkeB

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2005
Wow that looks great! I mean...Mac OS X PLUS spyware, viruses, adware, and internet explorer "integration" running the entire thing into the ground! OMG I'm going to throw my iMac G5 away and go get a PC just to run that

;)

sworthy

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2002
yea it looks somewhat dumb, but...

That's what I did with my old windows box before I switched. I think it's a good thing, get people to appreciate the look, knowing that it isn't as good as the real thing. The whole "if you want a mac, buy a mac" is an annoying argument too, lots of people don't buy new computers all the time (and yes, even $500 can be a lot to people).

In short, I think this brings more attention to the mac platform, and that people are willing to do so much to attempt to emulate the mac, should be a compliment.

/now go on with how much you think this sucks b/c it's windows

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I don't think this is directly bad for Apple. You're not going to do this--and KEEP it running--unless you like Macs. A Wintel devotee might load it briefly to show his Mac pals that Windows has all advantages of Mac :rolleyes: ...which would fool nobody... and then delete it.

However, Apple is REQUIRED by law to defend their intellectual property or lose it. I don't know what determines when or if that happens--maybe it has to be publicly brought to their notice so they can't claim they didn't know?--but I do know this is the kind of thing Apple legal might go after, whether it helps Apple directly or not.

iJaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2004
Blue Velvet said:
Also, have you ever seen a blue traffic light?

Honestly, I just don't get it.
Want a Mac? Get a Mac...
It's not so always so easy. I know many poor bastards that are stuck with Windows at work but have Macs at home. This might appeal to some of them. (Even though I've seen better.)

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Installed it this arvo and I found it to be reasonably comprehensive but like all these Aqua themes, I then uninstalled only a few hours later. I dunno why but it seems so weird running XP when it's trying its hardest to be something else. The OSX look is set up to compliment it's GUI layout. For some reason I just thought the look didn't compliment the way XP is set up (taskbar vs dock etc). It just seemed really weird and quite inefficient at the same time.