FlyDubai Plane crash

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by stylinexpat, Mar 23, 2016.

1. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

2. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

RT is not exactly a reliable news source in that they have a very obvious pro-Russian agenda.

3. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

Yup, aviation sucks, my country has some of the worse aviation rest rules in the world. I had one employer who would legally work people 42 days straight. My last job, we could be works 15 hours a day 14 days in a row, plus I was on call that entire time

4. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

When I first heard crash due to high winds, I produced a question mark. Crosswind, headwinds, tailwinds? There are limits designated for all planes and not to be exceeded. In the States, fatigue issues have been cited as factors in crashes and rest rules have been changed. International flying is still tough on aircrews bodies, who are getting restless rest due to time zone changes. The implication in the article would not surprise me.

5. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Nobody wants to be flying on that one in 3.1 million flight, but, airline travel has become extraordinarily safe during my lifetime. The first time I flew, flying was still a bit of an adventure, statistically speaking. Despite airlines pushing it on pilot fatigue, it is still really safe to fly:

http://www.iata.org/pressroom/pr/Pages/2016-02-15-01.aspx

Or, look at page 19 of this Boeing report:

http://www.boeing.com/resources/boeingdotcom/company/about_bca/pdf/statsum.pdf

6. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Every time this happens it renews my fear of flying... *sigh* why can't we just travel overseas by boat anymore? Sure boats can still sink, but the modern ones have plenty of lifeboats.

7. stylinexpat thread starter macrumors 6502a

8. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

Lol, you still can if you don't mind the time involved. :)
    http://traveltips.usatoday.com/boat-europe-63767.html

AFA fear of flying, do you have fear of driving? That's 1000x more dangerous. I understand the fear of the former is not completely logical. It's lack of being in control (if not the pilot) and not being able to simply pull to the shoulder.

9. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Look at page 19 of the Boeing report. Consider that it takes 1 million departures to get a good statistical sample. Except for a handful of planes, most planes since the Lockheed L-1011 (introduced when, probably, your grandparents were teenagers) have really, really small accident rates. Consider that it is easy to avoid the few that have slightly higher rates -- you you book a plane now, you can almost always tell exactly what kind of plane it will be. (Personally, when I can, I avoid DC-10/MD-10/MD-11 and the early Airbuses - A300/A310. Not really an issue any more; most of the time, when I fly, for short flights it is either a recent 737 or A320; longer flights usually a 757/767/777.) Just saying...

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Flying has never been safer. You still have a better chance of dying in a car accident on the way to the airport.

11. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

This.

Also, the FAA does a much better job of regulating airline safety than its Russian counterpart. Russia is notoriously bad for aviation safety.

12. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Well that's partly why I don't drive...

13. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I wondered about that crash when I saw the photos with all those tiny pieces of debris. Still wondering. I didn't think wind shear alone would break the plane up that much. I suppose the ensuing explosion is what did that and cratered the runway. Maybe the fuel tanks were nearly empty from all that circling, so if it then hit a wing coming down, it was like foil wrapped around a premixed air+fuel combo, all it needed was a spark and the plane was a bomb. Improvements in wind shear mitigation, where are they? Prediction seems a dicey thing short of a general warning for a specific area.