Flying with external battery pack (imax power) in carry on luggage allowed?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by diesel, Jan 21, 2009.

1. diesel macrumors 6502a

I read that as of jan 1, 2008 "loose" lithium ion batteries are no longer permitted on carry on luggage by the TSA when flying. They are supposed to be with checked in baggage. Would an external battery pack such as the imax power pack qualify as a "loose" lithium ion battery? Has anyone had issues with carrying an external battery pack onto a flight? I just bought an external power pack and will be flying soon and don't want this confiscated if this is a problem item. Thanks.

2. sparrky macrumors 6502a

sparrky

TSA makes things so difficult. Airlines (Southwest, anyway. I work there) have the exact opposite rule: ok to carry-on spare lithium batteries, but you can't check them. Just check the rules for the airline you're on. And double-check that rule for TSA. I wasn't aware they had this rule. The airline isn't going to know what you checked, so it's easier to break their rules rather than the TSA's who will be x-raying and possibly rummaging through your luggage. If you check it just be sure to pack it safely. We have seen many exploded/melted spare batteries.

3. diesel thread starter macrumors 6502a

my bad i think i misread the site. apparently you can't check in loose batteries but can carry it on board.

4. Resist macrumors 68030

Since a battery pack is a loose battery, your answer is yes.

5. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

So you can't check in loose batteries, they're only allowed for carry on?

Can you pinpoint that site? I've been reading the TSA website on the iPhone but I can't find it. I will be in the same scenario soon since I have an Imax battery too, and supposedly that was the purpose of it - to be carried on board.

EDIT:
    Duh silly me, found it here.

As of January 1, 2008, the Department of Transportation (DOT) through the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) no longer allows loose lithium batteries in checked baggage.

So carrying that Imax battery is recommended, not checked in.

6. Guruclub04 macrumors newbie

I bring my laptop to travel

Sometime I checked in with my laptop and it was allowed. Laptop battery was using the li-ion battery with a larger capacity. Shall be okay

7. diesel thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay guys, I just returned from several days of skiing at Vail and I packed the imax external battery in my backpack that I carried on the flight. I had no problems carrying the battery in the backpack on AA from Newark to Vail on either legs of the trip.

8. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

It should work as well with international flights as I'm about to go in a two months. Thanks for the update.

9. DigMe macrumors 6502

Yeah, I flew to Korea with external battery pack and rechargeable camera batteries. It's not an issue.

10. djb5118 macrumors newbie

i flew to vegas and back without any problems with an extra laptop battery and 3 camera batterys in my carry-on