Flynn Sentencing - Now in March

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Dec 18, 2018.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

more to come it seems

2. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

3. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

The judge wants to give him a much harsher sentence than Mueller has recommended. And it is up to the judge.

4. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Indeed. So light em up..

tumblr_ltg5btJy7J1qjwwrjo1_r1_500.gif

5. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

The judge certainly blew all the conservative conspiracy theories surrounding Flynn out of the water.

Judge Sullivan to Flynn - "You were an unregistered agent of a foreign country while serving as the national security adviser to the president.”

6. Huntn macrumors demi-god

Huntn

I just hope they find a judge like this when it comes to Trump’s trial for treason. Why? On multiple occasions he has sided with Russia, worked against the US. Presidents are supposed to be patriotic.

7. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Unfortunately, won't happen. When coming to treason, if he is still in office, the chief justice at SCOTUS is the judge, presiding over the entire thing.

If out of office, that's a different story..

BL.

8. Huntn macrumors demi-god

Huntn

It would happen if the Republicans did their duty and upheald their oath to the country. Another black mark against them.

9. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Never one to be allied with the truth, Sarah Saunders has doubled down on the White House claim that Flynn was "ambushed" by the FBI. Despite the fact that Flynn unequivocally said in court that he was not.

10. jerwin macrumors 68020

According to this slate article,

11. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

I'm also confused by her constantly calling Comey a liar and a leaker and then using him as the single source of truth on how Flynn was "ambushed." So, what - the WH believes Comey when it feeds into their narrative but not any other time?

12. JayMysterio, Dec 18, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2018

JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

Ooh! Oh! Oh! The sweet irony. From a video posted last year at this time...
    Well... maybe not TODAY. :p
    Posted on YouTube Dec 1st, 2017

We'll check back in March.

13. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

14. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

That's a good question. When you retire from the military, if you are ranked General or higher, you keep the rank. Now, whether that still requires you to conform to or fall scrutiny to The UCMJ is a different story. I'll defer on that to those in the military and have them speak up.

BL.

15. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

What does it mean to keep the rank? Is it that you’re always addressed like so whereas lower ranks can’t use it post-military? Just curious.

16. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

IIRC, most servicemen/women who serve in the military achieve various ranks. However, when you leave the military, you also are no longer entitled to the duties and privileges of that rank. With Generals and above, you keep the duties and privileges of said rank.

Case in point: a friend of mine just had his son enlist in the Army, and attended the swearing in ceremony with his son. My friend's father also went to that ceremony and asked the recruiter and the people hosting the ceremony if he could assist with it. They asked why and what this person was that was requesting it, and it turned out that the grandfather was a retired 4-star General who outranked everybody in the building, including recruiter who was looking down on him like he didn't know what he was doing.

A short 3 minute delay to reprint paperwork to show that the person hosting the ceremony was the general, and the ceremony continued. They quickly accommodated someone who not only outranked them, but was still entitled to the privileges of that rank, even though he had been retired for years.

Most who have left the military can not use that rank anywhere outside the military; if you are of that certain rank or higher (General was the cutoff), you can still use that rank and be addressed as such.

BL.

17. jerwin macrumors 68020

The judge was pretty furious

https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...ynns-sentencing-delayed-mueller-probe/578467/
    And remember, this is a judge who was previously lauded by Trumpeters.

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2018/12/michael-flynns-judge-destroys-trumps-conspiracy-theory.html

18. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I mean his lawyers basically sat their and insinuated the FBI entrapped him. Not exactly doing your client any service with that and the recommendation from Mueller on Flynn's cooperation mine as well not even exist when you stand at your sentencing hearing with that whopper of a claim.

19. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Fox News coverage was great. The ironic part is, this probably doesn't help Mueller because Flynn was by far supposedly the most cooperative witness, but now he's facing issues. The Fox News crew were hoping the judge would come down on Mueller.

I can't believe Conservatives are mad about Obama's so-called "apology" tour but are ok with outright collaboration with hostile foreign nations.

"Lock her up!" - Hillary is sipping coffee and eating avocado toast, laughing. Enjoy, my MR friends!