Fn keys and shortcuts sometimes not working (dashboard and exposé)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Daveecee, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Daveecee macrumors regular

Today I experienced an unusual problem. My F3 and F4 keys were not performing their usual duties (exposé and dashboard respectively). They would not work at all. Nor would my keyboard shortcuts for Spaces or Spotlight.

However, when I shut the computer and opened it back up again, it worked fine.

Has anybody else had some weird minor issues like this? At first I thought it was related to an earlier problem where my keyboard was freaking out and wouldn't type most of what I was trying to type, until I realized my palm was on the trackpad while I was trying to type.

Anyway, anybody else having this Fn key/keyboard shortcut problem?

2. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

It's possible that you selected that option, but also it may have been a glitch. Hasn't happened to me so far.

Attached Files:

3. Daveecee thread starter macrumors regular

I checked that option in the sys prefs, but it was at the default. The Fn keys should have been functioning normally.

FYI, system preferences also was not defining shortcuts for dashboard or exposé, so F3 and F4 should have been working for those as well.

It's weird because keyboard/screen brightness keys were working, as well as the volume keys. I did not test the iTunes controllers because I was in class :p

4. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Then my guess would be that it was a glitch, but I have no idea what could've caused it... hope it doesn't happen again :D

5. siouxzieb macrumors newbie

Grr--right there with you.

Keeps happening to me also. Really annoying. Any discoveries since your post?

Thanks,
    s.

6. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Try repairing permissions.. This happened to me last week because Finder stopped responding, and I couldn't do anything besides restart the whole machine..