Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Focus not so fast?

thomamon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2008
Flemington, NJ
So I noticed the first day or so the focus was fast, when I looked at the screen the focus would just lock pretty darn quickly.

The other day I dropped my phone when I went to show someone how I keep shutting the phone off when I go to take a picture. (I've since gotten the leather case so the grip is better, lol) But now it seems as if the focus isn't as fast, I notice it goingg in and out of focus as I try to take a picture. Eventually it usually works out, but I am wondering if something is off or is it just the surrounding of the photo I am trying to take.

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
If you don't focus on your phone it won't focus for you.

Helpful stuff there Confucius :rolleyes:

To the OP: I wouldn't expect a drop to affect how fast the focus pixel technology works, since the pixels are embedded in the sensor, but these cameras have infinitely tiny parts so there's always the possibility?

I'd keep an eye on it for the next week or so and perhaps schedule an appointment with the Apple store to check it out.

Comment

thomamon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2008
Flemington, NJ
Helpful stuff there Confucius :rolleyes:

To the OP: I wouldn't expect a drop to affect how fast the focus pixel technology works, since the pixels are embedded in the sensor, but these cameras have infinitely tiny parts so there's always the possibility?

I'd keep an eye on it for the next week or so and perhaps schedule an appointment with the Apple store to check it out.

Yeah, I may do that and for the battery as well...

Comment

KenAFSPC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
If you have the iPhone 6 (as opposed to the Plus), there is no way that a drop would "break" (or affect in any way) the autofocus.

Comment

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
The other day I dropped my phone

You may have damaged something. These are complicated, precision devices.

----------

I wouldn't expect a drop to affect how fast the focus pixel technology works, since the pixels are embedded in the sensor, but these cameras have infinitely tiny parts so there's always the possibility?

Wha?

The focusing is accomplished by a moving lens, just as with any pre-iPhone focusable camera.

There is no "focus pixel technology".

Comment

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-09-24 at 4.29.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-24 at 4.29.54 PM.png
    753.6 KB · Views: 54
Comment

Altimax98

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2012
Lakeland Fl
You probably did mess up the camera. Some HTC guys have seen the same thing happening upon dropping the device. It has nothing to do with "Focus Pixels", that is just a fancy term for Phase Detect Auto Focus which is software based.

Comment

VasectomyLove

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2014
The i6+ camera is so good and so fast it even beats out Nixon and canon dslr that costs thouthousands more. I've used it and hands down the best camera with fastest focusing ever. I think it's user error if u have lesser experience. Apple engineers are the best and they have even beat out companies like canon and Nixon who solely make cameras!

The i6+ doesn't need more megapixel 8mp is so good it's just stupid to add more like android phones which do nothing. The 4K recording on those inferior android devices don't even work as well as the iPhone 5 video camera. Apple is on a roll with engineering prowess!

Comment

Open Arc

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2014
West Virginia
I thought you were being sarcastic until I seen all of your past post's.

To OP. I would make an appointment and get it checked out. If there is a problem, they will remedy it for you. Apple has great C.S.

Comment

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008

Ah, thank you.

So, it's not a technology so much as a marketing term. Sorry, I wasn't up on the latest PR chew-toys.

----------

You probably did mess up the camera. Some HTC guys have seen the same thing happening upon dropping the device. It has nothing to do with "Focus Pixels", that is just a fancy term for Phase Detect Auto Focus which is software based.

Thanks for the clarification.

It's great to see this coming to a phone! But it's not exactly new to the world of photography and imaging.

Comment

thomamon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2008
Flemington, NJ
Just to update, I thought my phone was doing OK with the photos...

Then I had my 6+ replaced because of the battery when Apple confirmed there was a problem.

Now, my images are much, much sharper. Really quite amazing.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.