Foggy, cloudy, hazy photos in dark, night. iPhone 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bence2005, May 31, 2012.

1. bence2005, May 31, 2012
    Last edited: May 31, 2012

bence2005 macrumors newbie

Hey everybody,
    I try to take some photos in my pitch dark room in the evening and I noticed a strange thing. Sometimes the photos are clear and sometimes they are hazy, foggy. I don't know why, does anybody have any idea? I don't have case on my iphone, so it is full naked, and I think it isn't out of focus, because i focused the object where I thought it was. And I didn't move the phone when I took the photo. So the problem is: sometimes the photos are clear and sometimes are foggy in dark, night. Is this a hardware issue, is my phone faulty?
    I enclosed 2 samples photos, check them out. Thanks for your help!

Attached Files:

2. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

I never had much luck taking photos with the iPhone in anything other than decent natural light or under heavy florescent lighting.

3. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Without any light on at the time, the camera doesn't know where the object is so it can't focus on it.

Focusing is done BEFORE it takes the picture, not at the same time, so you clicking where you think the object is won't do anything if it can't make it out enough to focus on it.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Yes it's a problem with focusing sometimes.

Should write to www.apple.com/feedback

It should do a pre-flash to determine focus.

5. DodgeV83 macrumors 6502a

Definitely a focusing issue. This will happen if the phone couldn't find the right spot to focus on during the pre-flash. One way to prevent this, is by using an app that lets you use a torch light, meaning the flash will stay on like a flashlight.

Slow Shutter Cam and Camera+ are two examples of such apps.

Good luck!

6. bence2005 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, so my phone is okay?! Should I go to an appstore to show my problem, or is this unnecessary? Because, just have some troubles with focusing!

7. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Note as well that sometime taking the phone out of a warm pocket into cold night air causes condensation - just enough to through off the camera's focus and flash function.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd say that because of the lack of light, the camera is unable to acheieve an autofocus lock. Regular cameras do this all the time when there's insufficient light.

As for the fog, possible condensation.

Does the blurry pictures occur with good lighting?