"Folders" or something similar for Homesharing Movies and TV Show Seasons (Ripped)

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by shyam09, Mar 3, 2013.

1. shyam09, Mar 3, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2013

shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

So I just ordered an ATV3 from Staples and I've been thinking about using Air Video to stream to my iPad and then Air Play it to the ATV or just convert the videos to mp4.

I own several DVDs of TV show seasons and I was thinking about ripping them and converting them and throwing them into iTunes, but I'm a bit lost on how this would look on an ATV.

My point is to get some sort of "folder" or something going on where I can click and select the episode I want, but as I don't have the ATV in my hands yet, I have no idea if there is a way to do this or not.
    Example:
    Chuck (season 1)
    ----Epi 1
    ----Epi 2
    ----Epi 3
    ----Etc.

( i select Chuck Season 1 to be presented with the list of episodes...)

The homesharing way seems more fluid and it does avoid the extra air play step, so i am definitely interested in that method.

Would appreciate any help whatsoever. Thanks.

If software will be recommended, please keep in mind that I own a Windows 8 Desktop and have iTunes 11. TIA

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

If you rip and tag your tv shows right, you can browse by show, episode, and season on the AppleTV using home sharing.

3. shyam09 thread starter macrumors 68000

shyam09

ahh that's what i thought. thanks for the help

4. shyam09 thread starter macrumors 68000

shyam09

ok so i have started the process, and now I was wondering if there is any way to select the files and add the episode number in consecutive number.
    So for example, I have 15 episodes. Instead of going through each one and typing 1, 2, 3 in itunes, can i select them all and make it consecutive?

(i assume this can only be done via third party software, so any advice there)

5. MarkG21 macrumors regular

I use the program "iDentify" available in the Mac App store. It tags all the info you need and does all the work for you. It will make your files appear like you bought it from the iTunes store.

6. waw74 macrumors 68030

i second this

here's a link to the app store.

or there's a free (i think) version here, it was free when i got it, not sure if that's changed.

7. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

I third this recomendation

great app and labels tv shows and movies perfectly

8. shyam09 thread starter macrumors 68000

shyam09

Thanks! I'll look into it. Any windows ones out there worth recommending since all my files are on the Windows PC.

I think I'll start by just sharing the folder to my mac and seeing if I can work from there.

Thanks again

9. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

this should work, not sure about a Windows tagging application, tried to help a friend find one once and we could not find a good one

10. JMEANS macrumors regular

Does the 'iDentify' app have the 'HD' flag option like SUBLER? thanks

11. MarkG21 macrumors regular

Yes, it does.

edit; Well, I don't know subler but the HD tag looks like what a purchased itunes HD flag would looks like.

12. JMEANS macrumors regular

Thanks I will certainly give it a whirl then!