Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shikimo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2007
Lyon, France
Sorry if I missed another thread on this cuz there usually is one for simple stuff like this, but I couldn't find anything so here goes:

I just got a 22" monitor and a Mini after a couple years on a laptop, and I love making the text larger than life for the eyes of an aging writer. Is there a way to save the text enlargement, rather than having to press shift-apple-+ every single day, before starting to work?

Thanks!

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
Sorry if I missed another thread on this cuz there usually is one for simple stuff like this, but I couldn't find anything so here goes:

I just got a 22" monitor and a Mini after a couple years on a laptop, and I love making the text larger than life for the eyes of an aging writer. Is there a way to save the text enlargement, rather than having to press shift-apple-+ every single day, before starting to work?

Thanks!

Have you tried TinkerTool? I believe it lets you control the fonts :)

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
You could always lower the resolution on your monitor, which would make everything larger. If you just want larger fonts in Safari (or other browser) you can go into preferences and there's a section for defining the default font size to use. Increase this and it'll help a little.

shikimo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2007
Lyon, France
You could always lower the resolution on your monitor, which would make everything larger. If you just want larger fonts in Safari (or other browser) you can go into preferences and there's a section for defining the default font size to use. Increase this and it'll help a little.

Thought of the first option, but I'm pretty happy with the appearance of my new monitor at max resolution. I've also made the adjustment in each of the apps. that I use that have the capability (couldn't find the option in Firefox, though), but I was wondering if there was a way to do it system-wide, so everything would be bigger biGGER BIGGER!!!!!!!

I took a look at tinkertool, Ubuntu, and it looks like a cool toy. Think I'll give it a shot this weekend. Thanks for the tip.

defsquad

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2006
birmingham, alabama
shikimo, did this work for you? for whatever reason, tinkertool doesn't seem to affect the menubar items or really menu font sizes in any application. let us know if this worked for you and if you did some weird alchemy to get it working.

shikimo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2007
Lyon, France
shikimo, did this work for you? for whatever reason, tinkertool doesn't seem to affect the menubar items or really menu font sizes in any application. let us know if this worked for you and if you did some weird alchemy to get it working.

Not even my advanced alchemy training helped with this one. I simply gave up. Tinkertool is sort of cool, but it's not really built to fix the specific problem I was trying to solve...but frankly, I don't really notice anymore, so no big deal. I posted this thread right after I bought my mini and 22" screen and was zealously trying to make it perfect :cool:. In any case, I found that any reliable way of making the text bigger in most applications ended up compromising their functionality, except of course globally lowering the contrast ratio, but who wants to do that permanently?

I'm still curious, if you have any fun ideas to try.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
I wasn't sure if you found the font preferences for the Finder, but it's in Finder>View>Preferences. This might help, but again it's application specific.

I just bought a 20" ACD, and it's a bit further away than most normal setups. Once in a while, I need to zoom in too. The control+scroll feature for trackpad/mouse is very handy. I find it easier than chasing font sizes around (not using the Safari Universal Access setting for minimum font size).

shikimo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2007
Lyon, France
I wasn't sure if you found the font preferences for the Finder, but it's in Finder>View>Preferences. This might help, but again it's application specific.

I just bought a 20" ACD, and it's a bit further away than most normal setups. Once in a while, I need to zoom in too. The control+scroll feature for trackpad/mouse is very handy. I find it easier than chasing font sizes around (not using the Safari Universal Access setting for minimum font size).

WOOO-HOOOOO!!! This is one of those moments when I'm happy to feel ignorant: while I was well aware of the font pref. menu and was originally looking for something more global, you have changed my life by introducing me to the control-scroll feature. On this giant screen it is really, really, really cool...in my work I read a lot of obscure documents--often scanned from really old books--in weird fonts, and this is really going to help. Thanks!

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Glad that helped!

Ever since it was enabled (I think when the Mighty Mouse was released, or shortly thereafter), it became one of those second nature things right away. I even use it to quickly do a 2x size video when showing someone across the room.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.