Fonts in some pdf files have been changed for no reason (has my Mac been hacked?)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hajime, Nov 5, 2008.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

Hello. I just noticed that the fonts of some of the italicized words in a few pdf documents have been changed. This just happened suddenly for no reason. Does that mean my Mac has been hacked or Apple has changed something on the previewer (version 4.1, 469.2.2) which came with Leopard? I also noticed that the wireless network connection has been very slow for the past two days.

2. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

I can't imagine why fonts changing would be due to hackers...

Are the fonts embedded within the PDFs? If not - Could you of deleted any fonts from your system accidentally?

3. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I don't mean this to be an attack, but... now that you have a pointer on what's going on with your computer, what is it with OS X users immediately thinking everything is the result of hacking? Even on a platform that does have exploits, like Windows, if I saw this behavior, a hack / malware / virus would not be on my top five list of reasons why my fonts were suddenly displaying wrong, let alone on a system like OS X where there are no exploits in the wild.

And yet there seem to be numerous threads like this here -- every week, some relatively new user of OS X is convinced that they've found the first OS X virus in spite of no one else finding a real one in the near decade that OS X has been around...

5. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I always wonder about posts like you describe myself.

Almost as if people lose all common sense.

6. JavierP macrumors regular

Once upon a time, viruses did this sort of silly things (such as changing fonts, showing stupid messages from time to time). Nowdays virus creators/hackers are after credit card numbers, spam nets, etc., so they don't do that silly stuff anymore.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So people who do this actually remember the viruses of the early 1980s that made video games appear on your screen and did crazy 3D graphics or popped up obnoxious messages?

I mean, I remember those viruses, but everyone else I know who remembers those viruses is on the extremely savvy end of computer knowledge. Back then, most of those viruses affected computer enthusiasts.

8. JavierP macrumors regular

It seems so, I know and fear things that I have never experienced ;)

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Dude, in those days, some of the viruses had better graphics than the commercial games did. :eek: :D

10. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Not to generalise hugely, but I suspect that most of the people goggle eyed about hacks and virusses on a Mac were lying around in nappies/diapers during the time you speak…

;) :D

11. JavierP macrumors regular

Don't be so mean! jajaja

12. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

You answered your own question :)