Food for thought

LizKat

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Almost midnight. I expect my nieghbors down the road to start the celebrations on time by throwing cherry bombs into metal ashcans as usual. I have closed the windows so the cats won't go nuts....

Happy Fourth! I'm geting up early tomorrow to celebrate a sunny day for a change.

darksithpro

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016
Happy Fourth!
Keep you cats indoors and safe from all those fireworks. I know how upset and agitated our pets can be when it comes to this time of year. I always enjoy your input. Happy Independence Day, LizKat.
[doublepost=1499142370][/doublepost]
No need to argue - you nailed it ;)

Happy 4th to you and your family. Even though we never agree, I would never have a problem buying you a beer and hanging out.

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
Better be careful jkcerda, they might argue that the colonials only had single fire muskets in the late 1700's, vs our 30 round riffles we have today. ;) Happy 4th!

I would like to point out the colonists had military firearms at that time(in some cases even better than what the brits had). I wonder if the brits were making claims/demands that "no ones NEEDS a flintlock rifle." and trying to tell people they were only allowed to have matchlock rifles but couldn't carry them in public.
[doublepost=1499157348][/doublepost]

DearthnVader

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth, upon this continent, a new nation, conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that "all men are created equal"

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived, and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battle field of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of it, as a final resting place for those who died here, that the nation might live. This we may, in all propriety do. But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate -- we can not consecrate -- we can not hallow, this ground-- The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have hallowed it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here; while it can never forget what they did here.

It is rather for us, the living, to stand here, we here be dedica-ted to the great task remaining before us -- that, from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they here, gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve these dead shall not have died in vain; that the nation, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people by the people for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

Reactions: jkcerda

LizKat

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Keep you cats indoors and safe from all those fireworks. I know how upset and agitated our pets can be when it comes to this time of year. I always enjoy your input. Happy Independence Day, LizKat..
Thanks, and to you as well... I blush to look back at that post and see the typos.. I can't stay up until midnight any more apparently.. Not gonna edit them. They'll be my reminder that when the cats go upstairs (10pm in summer), I should be up there too. At least I did wake up to sunshine so I'm back outside to enjoy it while it graces this chunk of the USA. Happy Fourth to all!

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
Right, because "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State..."
"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials."
— George Mason, in Debates in Virginia Convention on Ratification of the Constitution, Elliot, Vol. 3, June 16, 1788
"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
-- Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-188

Reactions: rjohnstone