Football team scores 91 points...accused of bullying.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by tshrimp, Oct 23, 2013.

1. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

I know the word Bullying is becoming the go to word these days, but really?!?!?.....

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162...ter-91-0-high-school-football-score-in-texas/

I have been on the receiving end of this type of thing before, but I would be more embarrassed if the other team won 75-14 and just laid down on us.

As you can tell in the video the coach did everything he could to keep the score low, so the question is what is a person to do in our current world of political correctness and the thought process that we think we can't have our feelings hurt or can never be embarrassed?

BTW.....I was also taken to the cleaners in Basketball one time 100 - 12 in a game. Guess what...it bothered me for a day or two, but I learned to cope with it. Our entire team worked harder so this would never happen again, and when we met the team again.....we still lost, but it was much more respectable. I am glad it happened. It brought our team together, and I felt I learned something from this short term pain.

Rant over.

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

It seems that this team was over matched, but the other team seems to be having huge wins on everyone they play. So do you tell the better team not to play or tell the other teams to get better.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

There is no way that this should be considered bullying. The mom who filed the complaint is an idiot.

4. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I agree. Saying it was bullying is just being a sore loser and is unsportsmanlike conduct.

BTW ...... You don't hear the Giants making any bulling claims. :p

5. bassfingers, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013

bassfingers macrumors 6502

bassfingers

We should give everyone on the losing team a participation trophy and tell them they're special

6. Charcoalwerks macrumors regular

Charcoalwerks

Right, the refs even let the clock run continuously! What else could the coach have done? Suit up the water boys?lol Let them run some plays??

7. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Do you honestly think you will find someone here who disagrees with you? I think we can all agree this is straight out of the looney bin.

8. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Probably one of those parents that had their kid in little league where they don't keep score and everyone gets a trophy.

10. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

I have a feeling there just may be someone here who will disagree with this.

11. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

That's fine when your kids are very young. Teach them to enjoy sports and get some exercise and not worry about competition. But Jesus h! Bullying?!? In a high school game. Bet the kids who lost went back to the locker room and felt bad about the game or joked about how much they sucked or whatever. But not one of them felt bullied. This one parent is a loon.

12. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I certainly hope not, as that would demonstrate a serious lack of critical thinking skills. But this is the internet after all...

----------

But honestly, this seriously pisses me off. Bullying is a VERY serious problem in this country. This school district apparently has a mechanism in place to investigate and punish instances of bullying. For these sore loser parents to abuse that mechanism and try to take advantage of it like this is just trivializing the whole anti-bullying movement going on right now.

13. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

14. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

15. tshrimp thread starter macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Greatness :D:D:D

----------

I don't usually put much stock in blogs. Especially if it comes from Austin :)

16. tktaylor1 macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

I saw this the other day and didn't know whether to laugh or be outraged at the person who filed the complaint. The person who filed the complaint is an idiot. You're team got beat by a better team, big deal. What kind of person would file a bullying complaint over a football game? That just seems really weak and childish to me. They need to grow up.

17. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

Well the blog post you disregarded does have a link to the Texas Republican Party Platform document and the quoted material is on page 12.

18. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

It's refreshing to see so much agreement on this.

I was an athlete in a brutal sport from age 9 until I was 31.

Sports have winners and losers, nothing much in between. From it life long lessons are learned.

19. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Wow a thread where everyone is agreeing. There is hope. ;)

20. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

It absolutely IS bullying!

The other team should stop being so good and let the kids who suck win something so they feel better about themselves without working for it.

/sarcasm

21. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

A team/Coach that does something like this somedays will get it paid back to them.

22. chown33 macrumors 604

It was a parent.

From the linked article:
    The final score, 91-0, though, led one parent to file an official complaint of bullying against the entire coaching staff, reports CBSDFW.com.
    [Underline added.]

On a non-sarcastic note, see this article (from 2008):
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3789373

It was Grapevine Faith vs. Gainesville State School and everything about it was upside down.
    And even though Faith walloped them 33-14, the Gainesville kids were so happy that after the game they gave head coach Mark Williams a sideline squirt-bottle shower like he'd just won state. Gotta be the first Gatorade bath in history for an 0-9 coach.

Via a link at What Does Mercy Look Like.

23. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Agreed. This is silly.

24. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

It just shows some kids shouldn’t play football.

25. MyMac1976 macrumors 6502

MyMac1976