For $999 this seems like a deal, no?

JoeJoe

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2006
Apple Powerbook G4 1.67ghz 17" 120gb HiRes screen!This is the latest 17 inch Powerbook with the HI-res screen and 120gb hard drive.Specs are :17-inch TFT widescreen display with 1680x1050 resolution1.67GHz PowerPC G4 processor512MB memory (DDR2 PC2-4200 SDRAM at 333MHz)120GB 5400rpm hard driveSlot-load 8x SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 graphics card with 128MB DDR memoryFull-size, backlit keyboardGigabit EthernetUSB 2.0 and FireWire 400 & 800On the drive is On the drive is, TIGER,0fficeO4, FinalCutHD, FinalCutExpress, DVDSTUDIOPRO3,L0gicPro7 Quark6, Toast6,SHAKE,FilemakerPro6,Ph0toshopCS 8,IllustratorCS,INdesign, Dreamweaver04, Fireworks04, Flash04, Keynote, and ILIFE05.

Am I missing something?

harveypooka

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2004
JoeJoe said:
Apple Powerbook G4 1.67ghz 17" 120gb HiRes screen!This is the latest 17 inch Powerbook with the HI-res screen and 120gb hard drive.Specs are :17-inch TFT widescreen display with 1680x1050 resolution1.67GHz PowerPC G4 processor512MB memory (DDR2 PC2-4200 SDRAM at 333MHz)120GB 5400rpm hard driveSlot-load 8x SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 graphics card with 128MB DDR memoryFull-size, backlit keyboardGigabit EthernetUSB 2.0 and FireWire 400 & 800On the drive is On the drive is, TIGER,0fficeO4, FinalCutHD, FinalCutExpress, DVDSTUDIOPRO3,L0gicPro7 Quark6, Toast6,SHAKE,FilemakerPro6,Ph0toshopCS 8,IllustratorCS,INdesign, Dreamweaver04, Fireworks04, Flash04, Keynote, and ILIFE05.

Am I missing something?
Looks like all the software is only on the disc though, so when it's gone - it's gone. I'd personally rather go with the newer Intel models myself.

mBurns

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2006
USA
Hi. This does seem like a good deal if you compare dollar to dollar with what other people are selling this machine for. The big thing though is, is it a good deal if it's PPC? EVERYTHING is going to move towards intel obviously. Do you want to sink $999 into a dead chipset that is even older then the G5, regardless that this was the last PPC laptop to be made. To make a long story short, personally I'd only buy this laptop if:

A) you want to resell it to make some money
B) need a lot of screen real estate
C) couldn't live without the powerbook design

or I'd just sink the money into a MacBook because you will get many more years out of it and it will be current for a VERY long time.

®îçhå®?

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2006
Shake alone is worth that much money. If you need it then buy it but i would go intel.

harveypooka

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2004
®îçhå®? said:
Shake alone is worth that much money. If you need it then buy it but i would go intel.
Yeah, but is it dodgy or not? Seems strange to bundle all this software with no discs.

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
harveypooka said:
Yeah, but is it dodgy or not? Seems strange to bundle all this software with no discs.
it's not strange, it's just not legal. most eBay auctions these days include preloaded software.. but to the OP: don't think that those preloaded apps boost the price or anything, because they're just pirated copies that the seller probably got for free via download.

harveypooka

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2004
xfiftyfour said:
it's not strange, it's just not legal. most eBay auctions these days include preloaded software.. but to the OP: don't think that those preloaded apps boost the price or anything, because they're just pirated copies that the seller probably got for free via download.
Hahaha, not strange - just illegal. I wouldn't bother buying it personally. I wonder what the legal issue would be.
"I bought the PowerBook and non of the pirated software was installed as the seller said. I want a refund."

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
harveypooka said:
Hahaha, not strange - just illegal. I wouldn't bother buying it personally. I wonder what the legal issue would be.
"I bought the PowerBook and non of the pirated software was installed as the seller said. I want a refund."
I think you're getting hung up on the software. With preloaded stuff, I just disregard it and think of the value of the machine. IMO, $1k for the last revision 17" is probably a good deal, so if you're in the market, I'd jump on it. Besides, you're just going to reinstall a fresh copy of Tiger anyways, right? So all that software will be gone.. nothing illegal once that's done.

harveypooka

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2004
xfiftyfour said:
I think you're getting hung up on the software. With preloaded stuff, I just disregard it and think of the value of the machine. IMO, $1k for the last revision 17" is probably a good deal, so if you're in the market, I'd jump on it. Besides, you're just going to reinstall a fresh copy of Tiger anyways, right? So all that software will be gone.. nothing illegal once that's done.
No, the software bit was...er...humour. I don't think it's worth spending £750 on. I'd rather pay double and get a more recent product under a 2 year guarantee.