For a more light hearted take on the iPhone 4... I made my own case!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Fiddler70, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Fiddler70 macrumors regular

One evening I was in need of a bit of distraction. For my work I had some very nice leather lying around. I used black Salamander (legally obtained) for the front, brown catfish leather for the back and white Salamander for the apple logo!

Inside I used a soft chamois leather so whenever I take out the phone it's totally shiny!

I padded the case with 2mm closed cell rubber. Nice, flexible and bouncy!

I wish I was better at stitching. But going through 4 layers of leather is not easy!

I guess I will not be returning the phone!

Attached Files:

2. jhatz macrumors member

Sounds real fancy.....doesn't look very good imho.

3. Jemi9OD macrumors regular

Jemi9OD

Handmade with love. Who cares whether I'd use it or not, I think this is pretty dang cool. Good work!

4. ijen0311 macrumors 65816

ijen0311

5. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

A little gaudy (unless you're a girl), but nice work :)

6. Fiddler70 thread starter macrumors regular

Looks better in real life without the flash! You would be surprised. Had some nice remarks about it. But maybe people just being nice :rolleyes:

Thanks for the support ;-) Just hoping to inspire people with more talent, better taste etc :D

I wanted the really soft inside leather. Few case makers use it.

I thought better put it to use. Chicken leather was bit tasteless....

In the Apple store there was not much choice.

7. Fiddler70 thread starter macrumors regular

Better not make one for my iPad then! Lucky they had the Apple iPad case in stock. Is well designed IMHO

8. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Case looks great. Something felt a little off, I think the apple logo is a little too big, but thats just me.

9. ElvisFreshly macrumors member

Look at all the haters in here :) It's tight man. Nice work. Most people who hate on it would buy it if they saw it before now and show it off. Way to use your noodle.

10. reliantj macrumors 6502

make one out of cherry wood or oak or something and i'll be impressed.

11. rican macrumors 6502

rican

12. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

Is the bottom picture a separate sleeve? Or is that the back of the above pictures? If they are the same im not lovin the back so much. I would say thats great for a girl, the bottom one maybe for a guy.

:)

13. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

How will he get wood thin enough to stitch and strong enough to hold an iPhone?

14. pasipple macrumors 6502a

pasipple

15. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

As a bit of a leather worker my self (strictly amateur) I can see that you did a very neat job, good job on the Apple Logo also. The stitching doesn't show up to well in the photos but it looks a lot better than what I would do. Trying to get the fiddly little stitches in the small space you had to work with is difficult, and as I said it looks very good.

I notice what appears to be a small slit in the cover, is that part of the latching system, and if so how do you hold it closed?

16. Fiddler70 thread starter macrumors regular

Haha, you are right! It's already much smaller than I planned to begin with. I guess as I use it I will feel the logo could have been smaller. Glad you like it ;-)

Yep, knew I had this coming :) We're all way too serious!

Reading my thoughts? Stay tuned!

The phone is so beautiful.... I just could not help myself! It's passion!

Is same case. In daytime, casually I use catfish side up... then when occasion calls for it the Salamander shines :)

Pasipple.. thanks for the advise! Hands were hurting after.... was first and last.

Glad someone appreciates the work that goes into this kind of thing! On the black the stitching is invisible. The logo was glued on. Too much work to stitch that!

There are two small slits in the top left and right. To take out the phone I just push the bottom and the phone pops out. I cannot close the top. In that way it's not super protective, but similar to the Sena case I has for my 3 GS.

It's nice to use something you made yourself. Soon a major project of mine will see the light of day, after having had to be patient for years. In the mean time I make a thing here or there. :cool:

17. army91c macrumors 6502a

18. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

Really? I hope this isn't serious.